Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #61
stewball
Enthusiast
stewball has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500
I got it to output a file that I could open up with K4PC and it was exactly the same as before. (Hypothetically speaking, I wonder now if someone else can open it). The script gave me a device PID, a book PID and a book key.

Stew
stewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #62
stewball
Enthusiast

In Ultra-Edit I'm getting the same thing. Only the last lines have legible text, which is font info, author info, etc.

Stew
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #63
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I cant get the stupid script to work... I removed the # mid way through the script and added the 'd' but I still get an error Ugh!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #64
stewball
Enthusiast

rcuadro, I sent you a message with some info.

Stew
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #65
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It worked! Finally!!! Now to test the book somehow since Calibre does not display it
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #66
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Somebody claimed Topaz is a variety of ePub, but who knows if it's true. The only page with any detailed info at all seems to have vanished.
I dont think that is correct, since it bogs down whatever device one tries to read it on. Seems more like a bitmap/pdf type format.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #67
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I dont think that is correct, since it bogs down whatever device one tries to read it on. Seems more like a bitmap/pdf type format.
According to a comment on the Darkreverser blog, it does indeed appear to be a bunch of pointers to images of letters. If I understand right.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #68
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
It worked! Finally!!! Now to test the book somehow since Calibre does not display it
Whew!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #69
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Whew!

Yep,now I have DRM free topaz books that I can read on my kindle... but I could read them with the kindle with drm anyhow lol.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #70
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Yep,now I have DRM free topaz books that I can read on my kindle... but I could read them with the kindle with drm anyhow lol.
Yeah, this is only half the battle.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #71
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Yeah, this is only half the battle.
Unfortunately all this is good for is to "share" books since you can change them to a say ePub or mobi
Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #72
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Unfortunately all this is good for is to "share" books since you can change them to a say ePub or mobi
Yes and no. It *should* also allow the people smart enough to be able to do something about it, access to a decrypted Topaz file to see how it's put together with intent to convert. That's why I said it was "half the battle" the other half is conversion.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #73
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Yes and no. It *should* also allow the people smart enough to be able to do something about it, access to a decrypted Topaz file to see how it's put together with intent to convert. That's why I said it was "half the battle" the other half is conversion.
I forgot a key word in my reply and was "for now"
Old 01-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #74
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quoting from my post on Darkreverser's blog:

Looking at the dictionary file for a popular astronomy book ("Death by Black Hole"), I think it almost looks like badly-OCRed text, featuring entries like “solar,yslen,” (presumably “solar system), “space,huttlc” (presumably “space shuttle”), and “rainhow” (clearly supposed to be “rainbow”). This could be a bad sign, since it might mean that Topaz books only contain the information of a scan and an OCR, not a real text format that would allow us to export it to another format.

These results do match the quality of this book, however, because this particular book displays very poorly, with large gaps in the letters themselves (like the book was scanned with the brightness setting too high, so the thinner parts of the letters were washed out). So if the dictionary file contains OCRed (and not even proofread) versions of the words on each page, well, this book isn’t going to be very exportable. If we could reconstruct the page images we’d be able to re-run our own OCR and proofread it, but what a pain.

The one thing that makes me wonder about this conclusion is the fact that you’re supposed to be able to search Topaz files, right? But on my Kindle you can only search via an index of all the books, and the Kindle for PC app doesn’t seem to have a way of searching at all that I can find. So I can’t test to see if searching for “solar,syslen,” actually comes up at the place that says “solar system” in the graphical text.

Anybody know what format the glyphs are stored in?
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #75
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Are you sure they are DRM free? I copied a "liberated" tpz to another Kindle and it wouldn't open.

EDIT: Nevermind... I must've been doing something wrong with the original script. The files outputted by skindle work fine.

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 01-01-2010 at 11:46 PM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, topaz