Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sitescooper

Notices

Old 03-31-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Lightbulb Pre-Made Scoops for our Regular Members

We now have a beta section where our regular members (everyone with 20 or more posts) can download pre-made scoops in iSilo format (Plucker will follow).

These scoops are regularly updated (several times a day). The list of scoops is expanding, and currently includes: The Economist, Reuters, NZZ, The Inquirer.

MobileRead.com Team
Old 03-31-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Alex, this looks really cool! How did you get the Economist scoop to work?! It looks great! Thanks for this service.

I would love to have a few NYTimes sections up here too, if possible. Maybe National, International,Technology, and Week in Review?

Fantastic work!
Advert
Old 03-31-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the compliments I will add those NYT sections; are your .site files ready or do we have to optimize them further?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never finished the final mods to the .site files because I couldn't figure out the proper implementation of the code. But for those sections they should work fine. The problem only arises in sections like Movies or Health where there are commonly articles older than 10 days. In the more "newsy" sections, there are never any posts that old, so there is no problem!

The only note that I would add is that my .site file is designed for one large scoop, containing all the sections a user would want. It is based on a local HTML file. So, if you plan to do it section-wise, you will simply have to have multiple html files, that each point to only one section, and a scoop for each of these sections. However, the rest of the .site file can probably stay the same, with the exception of the pointer to the HTML file. I could do these mods for you, if you like, but not until tomorrow...
Old 03-31-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic

and how did you make the Economist scoop work?
Advert
Old 03-31-2004, 01:26 PM   #6
jasondv
Enthusiast
jasondv began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|T
Cool, Alexander Thanks!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Well, I used the same .site file Morpheus posted earlier. I only added images to it.

Then, I did some changes to the sitescooper itself. As recommended by stobs, I changed the default user agent to something like "Internet Explorer" to hide sitescooper. To do so, you must edit /lib/Sitescooper/Main.pm:

Find (around line 977)
PHP Code:
  $self->{useragent}->agent ("sitescooper/$VERSION ($self->{home_url}) ".

$self->{useragent}->agent); 
and change it to
PHP Code:
  $self->{useragent}->agent ("Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"); 
That did the trick here at least.

Greets
Old 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I could do these mods for you, if you like, but not until tomorrow...
Lemme think about it and the easiest way how we can do that.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:50 PM   #9
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PEG-T665C
FoxNews scoups would be great. These are a nice touch.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
gyffes
Enthusiast
gyffes is on a distinguished road

Device: eMate!!! oh, and an NX-60
Fox News? Don't you mean, White House State News Service?

Alex, any chance you can set up something like this for Mobipocket? I prefer reading news in landscape mode.

As always, thank you for your work on our behalf.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Gyffes, Mobipocket I am afraid won't be possible because it lacks a linux-compatible console tool to generate ebooks, right? I will try and see what I can do about it.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:34 PM   #12
ignatz
mechanoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
As recommended by stobs, I changed the default user agent to something like "Internet Explorer" to hide sitescooper.
That's a great find. I had understood (though don't know where I read it now...) that you could not spoof with sitescooper. There's a couple of other sites that I've been working on that this may help with. Great work Alex.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:37 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
That's a great find. I had understood (though don't know where I read it now...) that you could not spoof with sitescooper. There's a couple of other sites that I've been working on that this may help with. Great work Alex.
Np I think together we can make Sitescooper even better. For what it's worth, I could also turn 'user-agent' into a .site option.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:37 PM   #14
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Any chance of adding PIC mobile (http://www.palminfocenter.com/mobile), CS Monitor (text edition at http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/red...pl?textEdition), and/or Wired (http://www.wired.com/wireless)? I'd love to use this to gather up my morning reading, rather than running iSiloX, because I'm lazy like that.
Plus, I don't think I'm the only one that likes to read those sites regularly.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #15
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
These look great, Alex, thanks!. Only tried a few, but on The Economist scoop when you click on the "More From (blank)" links you get screens and screens of urls. Was expecting more stories, but see only the list of urls (which aren't links).