Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an ebook at the same price as the corresponding printed book?
I would even pay more for the ebook! 12 6.90%
Yes. 31 17.82%
No, but I would buy the print book. 11 6.32%
No, I would choose another book to read instead. 22 12.64%
No. But I would consider purchasing the ebook when the price was reduced. 98 56.32%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Secrets in Death comes out in digital and hardcover 5 Sep 2017. Like all In Death books the paperback comes out 6 months later (in this case 2 Jan 2018) and the digital price is usually dropped by the publisher at the same time. If you want it on release in Sept. the options are $15.99 for the eBook or $31.57 ($36.00 list price) for the hardcover.
The easiest way for me to obtain it in September is to borrow it from the local library. Just have to make sure to click on the hold button when it first appears in the newly added ebooks around August 7-8th. That way, the XYL gets to read it on or near the release date and then she can wait for the price drop to own it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #62
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I need a little perspective, I think. For those who think $12-$18 is too much to pay for a new release ebook (that you're interested in reading, of course), I'd like to know just what non-essential items you ARE willing to spend $12-$18 dollars on. In other words, what $12-$18 frivolous purchases do you value MORE than the experience of reading a good ebook (novel-length, 350-600 pages)? Forget owning, resale, and lending rights for the time being. Just compare experience to experience.

For instance: if you're a wine drinker, is a $15 dollar bottle of wine more valuable to you than the experience of reading a good book?
I won't pay anything for a paper book. I'd borrow from the library if that was the only way to read something that I really, really want to read. Owning physical books feels more like a burden than a joy these days.

My price limit for ebooks is $3. I have a large backlog of unread ebooks, so I'm only buying these when I spot a favorite author on sale.

What I will "pay up" for are audio books, usually $14.95, the price of an Audible credit, or less when they have sales. I get a lot of audio books from the library too. I listen-read a lot more than I read-read.

I didn't answer the poll, since none of the choices fit me.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #63
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Now there are over 90 votes I will make a few comments.

Firstly, it seems that just over 60% of people will not buy an ebook whilst it is priced the same or more than the print book (excluding the used print book market). A clear and significant majority, though I must admit that I would have expected a greater one. It seems that some of these people will still purchase the ebook when the price comes down, whilst some simply pick something else and move on.

Only very few will purchase the print book rather than the ebook. If this holds true for the general public as opposed to MR members and large publishers are in fact setting prices to achieve this result, it does not seem to be working.

A very significant and sizeable minority (approaching 40%) are prepared to pay the same or more for an ebook. Many of these people regard the print book price as irrelevant. I must say that this group is much larger than I would have expected. Whilst i do not share this view, it is certainly not an unreasonable one. Ebooks have many valuable characteristics which print books lack, and vice versa. Electronic, print, audio? I regard all of them as simply different packaging for the same product. I personally value ebooks much more than print books, though this is not reflected in the price that I am prepared to pay for them.

I did note Mike's question, that is:

Quote:
So, do you think the "give me what I want at the price I want or I'm taking it for free" stance is defensible?
MR understandably does not permit advocating piracy. It is patently not an appropriate forum for the discussion of this question and its implications. The only answer realistically open to me as the question is framed would be "no". And I could truthfully give this answer, though I will not. I do not believe the question is appropriately framed and to simply answer "no" to the question as framed would be a vast oversimplification of a complex issue. In any event, my thoughts on the matter are not particularly relevant or required in the context of this thread.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #64
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Although I’m late to this thread (been traveling for work), I found it interesting and amusing for myself to try to put down my “rules” in anything approaching a succinct form. And I failed entirely at the succinct, but here they are anyway...

The first rule is easy – the “new” print price is irrelevant. With few exceptions (textbooks or other books with graphs, diagrams, pictures, equations, etc.), I haven’t bought a new DTB in years. Like some others in this thread, I don’t even look at that price.

The rest of it gets harder and goes by type of purchase

Case 1: If I’m buying it to format-shift – to replace a DTB I have sitting on my overstuffed shelves, it has to be really really cheap, like $0.99 or $1.99, maybe $2.99 in very rare cases. And I feel no guilt for wanting/waiting for such a low price because the author has already gotten paid the standard one-time for the physical copy, whether I paid them myself buying it new, or they got paid by someone else if I bought it at a used bookstore. (Yes, I appreciate that there is some sort of “loss” to the author if I bought at a used bookstore, but only if I would have paid new price otherwise, which was almost never the case for the impulse and/or very old/OOP purchases I tended to make at used bookstores.)

So in my case, the author/publisher lose the opportunity to get a second, although smaller, purchase from me. From their viewpoint, hopefully they are at the right point on the demand curve to get purchases from enough other folks who either have never read their books, or are willing to pay more than I am to replace DTB, to make up for foregoing a second purchase from me. But I sometimes wonder, given that I am someone who is already proven to like the book, and given that I've been known to buy entire backlist series at $0.99 each - such as Amazon's years-ago one-day $0.99 sale on Ed McBain's 87th Precinct titles...

As an aside, I think one of the better models I’ve seen for trying to create some price differentiation on older series, to extract maximum value both from folks like me and from folks who will pay more (and perhaps aren’t as assiduous about watching ebook prices), is the idea of brief rotating price drops on all the titles in an older series, rather than just the first one. Archer Mayor has done this, the US versions of Margery Allingham also come to mind, many Endeavour Press series do this, and also, recently, Open Road seems to be playing some with this model.

Finally, if the price looks like it is never ever going to be something I consider reasonable, and if at some point I really want to reread a book, I will just sacrifice my DTB copy and get it scanned for a couple of bucks instead. Although I’m not a big fan of reading PDFs, I am okay enough with it to do it from time to time.

Case 2: If it’s a new-ish fiction title that I don’t have, and if it’s available in ebook at any of the three libraries I belong to, I’ll check it out there, and then wait for it to come down to maybe $3.99 or $4.99 or so, if I liked it and still want to buy it. (And since many never come down to that price, I often end up not buying…) If it’s not available at a library, I’ll wait until it comes down to a typical mass-market paperback price, and then buy it, but I’m a lot pickier in that case. (And again, since many never come down to that price, I don’t end up buying…) Like someone else said upthread, that’s pretty consistent with the way I was before e-books – I never bought hardcovers, always either waited for the paperback or checked out the hardcover from the library.

Case 3: If it’s a new-ish non-fiction title, which seem to skew higher in price, I use the same strategy, but with somewhat higher price points.

Whew! I think that’s it. But, there is a final rule - for a small number of authors (about 10), none of these rules apply, and I just buy the ebook when a new title comes out!

Last edited by sufue; 07-22-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #65
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I did note Mike's question, that is:
Quote:
So, do you think the "give me what I want at the price I want or I'm taking it for free" stance is defensible?
MR understandably does not permit advocating piracy. It is patently not an appropriate forum for the discussion of this question and its implications.
Hmm, is that true?

I would expect MR mods to crack down on anyone linking to pirate sites. I would expect the general reception to a post "advocating piracy" to be frosty. I would not expect that it's completely off limits to discuss piracy, its motivation and morality, in a general sense. Such a discussion overlaps with a debate about the need for copyright reform for example. Something we've talked about on MR many times.

So maybe I'm wrong but I'd've thought it's acceptable to answer Mike's question.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #66
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Hmm, is that true?

I would expect MR mods to crack down on anyone linking to pirate sites. I would expect the general reception to a post "advocating piracy" to be frosty. I would not expect that it's completely off limits to discuss piracy, its motivation and morality, in a general sense. Such a discussion overlaps with a debate about the need for copyright reform for example. Something we've talked about on MR many times.

So maybe I'm wrong but I'd've thought it's acceptable to answer Mike's question.
I think that is probably a fair statement of what has happened in the past. However, I think this policy is being enforced a little more rigorously now. There is certainly no blanket ban on discussing piracy, but there is extreme sensitivity towards even appearing to advocate it in any circumstances whatsoever.

See, for instance:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=13

Also see my post at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...18&postcount=1

This post was moderated to remove the names of the websites in question and also to remove a comment I made which some of the moderating team felt could be construed as advocating piracy. I might add that I understand the reasons for MR policy and the need to err on the side of caution, and accept the decision.

I have quite strong views on Elsevier and the actions of the websites concerned. Some members of the moderating team regard certain expressions of my views as advocating piracy, and I can certainly understand where they are coming from. I think a discussion along these lines would quite simply be sailing too close to the wind.

Last edited by darryl; 07-22-2017 at 10:19 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #67
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Thanks for those links. TBH I find it a little disappointing but it's looks like you're right.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Hmm, is that true?

The critical difference, as you noted, is between discussing piracy in the general sense and discussing it in the individual sense, where a person defends it, justifies it, uses morally loaded terms such as "fair" and so forth, or certainly admits to engaging in it. The first is permissible; the second, not. So Mike's question, addressed to an individual, can be answered, but only by a "No."

But discussions about why piracy exists, the motivations, the justifications, the success or otherwise in combating it, sure. Just don't take it to the individual or personal instance.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #69
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
One thing publishers and authors should take into consideration. I had a bunch of authors that while I would rarely buy their hardbacks their MM paperbacks were autobuys for me. As the ebook prices were pushed higher than I thought reasonable I put off buying unless I happened to spot a sale. More than a few of those authors just dropped off my radar and I stopped searching for them to check for a price drop as it just didn't seem worth my time. Haven't missed them much so they will probably never again be in my autobuy list.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #70
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Firstly, it seems that just over 60% of people will not buy an ebook whilst it is priced the same or more than the print book (excluding the used print book market). A clear and significant majority, though I must admit that I would have expected a greater one.
I would have thought so too, although my original prediction of the first choice being outvoted has come true.

I think if this poll had been around two or three years ago or earlier it would've been closer to around 90% than 60%. I just remember before that it seemed like the overwhelming majority of (people who give their opinions at) MR were vehemently against ebooks being priced the same as or higher than pbooks. So, it would seem either some people have softened their positions or we've had an influx of people with a more casual attitude toward ebook prices.

I honestly can't remember exactly what my original position on it all was. I've always been willing to buy the ebook regardless but I may have been more annoyed in the past at ebooks not being cheaper than pbooks, so if that's the case then my own position has softened as now I just can't be bothered by it and like others I usually don't make a point of even checking the pbook price. Although, buying on Kindle if I do it through my cell or desktop as I often do for greater shopping ease (using the Kindle to shop is slower but only shows the ebook price) I often just happen to see the pbook pricing anyway because Amazon will show all the format and pricing options for a title together at the top of the book's page, so I do generally stay aware of how the ebook and pbook pricing compares.

The last book I bought was actually more expensive in ebook than pbook and I didn't care at all. It was Lucky Jim and the price was U.S. $9.99 for the ebook, $19.65 for the hardcover and $8.92 for the paperback (all new of course; the used paperbacks started at $3.57).
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In Britain it's an entirely moot point given that, as has been said, ebooks are very, very rarely as expensive as pbooks. I typically pay between half and two thirds the price of the paperback for an ebook, and that's even with the fact that ebooks are subject to 20% VAT, while pbooks are zero-rated (i.e. no VAT is charged on them.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #72
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Weren't the EU talking about changing VAT on ebooks? I seem to recall something being mentioned but then half the country decided the EU wasn't for them... Or was it removing geographical restrictions within the EU?
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Weren't the EU talking about changing VAT on ebooks? I seem to recall something being mentioned but then half the country decided the EU wasn't for them... Or was it removing geographical restrictions within the EU?
Yes, the EU decided that member states no longer need to charge the full rate of VAT for ebooks, so hopefully that'll happen at some point. As with all this kind of thing, it'll require a change to the law in each member state to implement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I would have thought so too, although my original prediction of the first choice being outvoted has come true.

I think if this poll had been around two or three years ago or earlier it would've been closer to around 90% than 60%. I just remember before that it seemed like the overwhelming majority of (people who give their opinions at) MR were vehemently against ebooks being priced the same as or higher than pbooks. So, it would seem either some people have softened their positions or we've had an influx of people with a more casual attitude toward ebook prices.

I honestly can't remember exactly what my original position on it all was. I've always been willing to buy the ebook regardless but I may have been more annoyed in the past at ebooks not being cheaper than pbooks, so if that's the case then my own position has softened as now I just can't be bothered by it and like others I usually don't make a point of even checking the pbook price. Although, buying on Kindle if I do it through my cell or desktop as I often do for greater shopping ease (using the Kindle to shop is slower but only shows the ebook price) I often just happen to see the pbook pricing anyway because Amazon will show all the format and pricing options for a title together at the top of the book's page, so I do generally stay aware of how the ebook and pbook pricing compares.

The last book I bought was actually more expensive in ebook than pbook and I didn't care at all. It was Lucky Jim and the price was U.S. $9.99 for the ebook, $19.65 for the hardcover and $8.92 for the paperback (all new of course; the used paperbacks started at $3.57).
I suspect that to a certain extent, several years ago, Amazon was running a campaign, both from a price point of view and a PR point of view, to drive ebook prices down. That was when they were worried about competition. Now, that competition has been marginalized, so you don't see those rock bottom prices for books that are on the NY Times best seller list any more.
Amazon is pretty happy to let publishers set the prices, just so long as people buy from Amazon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #75
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suspect that to a certain extent, several years ago, Amazon was running a campaign, both from a price point of view and a PR point of view, to drive ebook prices down. That was when they were worried about competition. Now, that competition has been marginalized, so you don't see those rock bottom prices for books that are on the NY Times best seller list any more.
Amazon is pretty happy to let publishers set the prices, just so long as people buy from Amazon.
Ok, it was December 25, 2013 when I got Dan Brown's Inferno for $2.99. Shortly before that they had the Da Vinci Code free. It was a publisher promotion. And yes, there is an excerpt from Inferno in that copy of the Da Vinci Code.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote