Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #481
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Looks like they changed the KFX renderer or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't know if there's anyone around who's willing/able to modify the font hack, so workaround is all we may have at this point.

In any event, first, you want to confirm that the format is the problem and not something else.
Understood. I am not doing this with the expectation that someone *must* fix this - I just want to see if we could track down the cause, both because I'm curious/this is intriguing and because who knows, maybe it could, perhaps, who knows, maybe, lead to a fix. And if not, at least we understand what is happening here. That's why I was asking for advice re: a workflow to, as you say, confirm that the format was the problem. ('Does anybody have any idea how to properly confirm suspicions as to what's causing this? My guess is it would involve downloading a given book under different firmwares, observing behavior, and DeDRMing and comparing the results, or something like that...?' 'Wouldn't it be nice if we tried to figure out what's going on?')

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@LastSilmaril: Your problems might be some aspect of known and longstanding bugs with fonts cascade / fallbacks configuration and some CSS combinations.
Although it was observed with KF8 books I wouldn't be suprised if same thing applies for KFX books.

Read my comment here.

It really can't be said that it's the fault of font hack that Kindle and Amazon are doing bunch of "smart" heuristics in attempt to make "converted from a Word document" books display text using Bookerly at all cost... The devices should just correctly interpret CSS code.. since there is no forcing ebook publishers to always use CSS that Amazon deems "the only correct way".
Thanks for all this shamanNS, this was exactly what I was looking for - a possible explanation of the behavior, and a way to force an untouched, still-DRMed AZW3 onto there. (And, btw, in case it still wasn't clear - my purpose here is not to 'blame' the author of the font hack for Amazon's shenanigans later. It's just to figure out what's going on.)

I'm not sure if this is somehow an instance of the problem you're describing, but it doesn't seem like it. Here's what I've found, with the book I initially was having problems with as a starting point:
  • The KFX book delivered directly to the Voyage exhibited this problem - the publisher font, Claris, rendered fine (not as Bookerly), but selecting Bookerly ended up having the text render in Bookerly, not my custom font.
  • The AZW3 downloaded from the 'Manage My Content and Devices' page worked fine with the hack.
  • Within the main AZW3 CSS file, there is no font-family declaration inside the body tag selector.
  • There was one instance, in a secondary and relatively short CSS file, in which a font-family was defined and appeared to have been referring to a file that was not embedded in the AZW3 (and had an invalid-looking path besides):
    Code:
    		@font-face {
    		    font-family: "Fort-Book";
    		    src: url("fonts/Fort-Book.otf");
    		}
  • Within each component xhtml file, however, inline CSS in the body tag specifies font-family thusly:
    Code:
    <body style="font-family:charis,'times new roman',verdana,arial;">

Based on that experience, I decided to list all the books on my device by extension, and tried opening them all (which really is what I should have done in the first place):
  • All 22 of the AZW3s, all of them retail, worked fine with the hack, save one oldish one, a late 2014 copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone from Pottermore. Interestingly, that one would *only* get rendered in my custom font, regardless of which font was specified in the Aa menu.
  • All 33 of the AZWs - and these, unlike those downloaded by Kindle for PC, appear to all be MOBIs - worked fine with the hack, whether they were converted/emailed docs or retail from Amazon.
  • All 53 of the KFXs, regardless of how long they've been on my device, rendered in Bookerly, not my custom font.

So it seems like, unless this never worked with KFX at all, which I doubt -
someone would have said something long ago - Amazon changed how KFX is rendered somehow. What remains unconfirmed is with which firmware this change was introduced, and whether the hack could be modified to work with KFX.

For now, it might be prudent to add a warning to the OP that this doesn't work anymore with KFX on, at least, firmware levels 5.8.8+, and telling people that if they would like the hack to work with most of the newest retail books, they should download them as AZW3 via the 'Manage Your Content and Devices' interface. (I guess they could also download them via Kindle for PC 1.17 and DeDRM but somehow I don't think you want this to be 'official' advice.)
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #482
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It has been a long time since I spoke with Alex about this subject, but I can't think of any reason things might have changed.

The official position is to not take a position.

Translation: You are correct.

Discussions of problems associated with DRM are alright, it is in the site guidelines and policy statements as such.

Suggestions, advice, recommendations, whatever word you choose could be considered "taking a position".
And just having a site-wide disclaimer that what members write is not a statement of the site's position does not work in all countries (Alex specifically mentioned that they had problems with that in the early days of Mobileread).

So "advice" to avoid or to use a specific format would have to be a decision left up to the reader, not the author (or the site).

Last edited by knc1; 05-12-2017 at 12:23 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #483
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Yup, makes perfect sense. Separate from the DRM issue though, can we at least alert NiLuJe to the situation and ask him to put a disclaimer about this hack apparently not working with KFX on 5.8.8+? I mean I guess people could read the thread but I feel like a lot of potential frustration can be avoided if people understood exactly what expected behavior is. (In fact, mentioning K4PC and DeDRMing was kind of an afterthought to all this.)
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #484
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSilmaril View Post
Yup, makes perfect sense. Separate from the DRM issue though, can we at least alert NiLuJe to the situation and ask him to put a disclaimer about this hack apparently not working with KFX on 5.8.8+? I mean I guess people could read the thread but I feel like a lot of potential frustration can be avoided if people understood exactly what expected behavior is. (In fact, mentioning K4PC and DeDRMing was kind of an afterthought to all this.)
We most likely have already, I think it is his habit to subscribe to his release threads.

The other choice is to have a forum moderator make the change in his post.
Uh...
But wait, that is also NiLuJe (the others listed are either presumed dead or just gone).
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #485
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
If anybody else was curious : the new bold-ing feature of firmware 5.8.11 doesn't work for fonts overridden via this Fonts hack. Even if you override one built-in font with another built-in font.

Blah, since I'm using modified Bookerly (reduced line-height / row spacing) and the new feature is not working I might as well downgrade back to firmware 5.6.5 ...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #486
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
If anybody else was curious : the new bold-ing feature of firmware 5.8.11 doesn't work for fonts overridden via this Fonts hack. Even if you override one built-in font with another built-in font.

Blah, since I'm using modified Bookerly (reduced line-height / row spacing) and the new feature is not working I might as well downgrade back to firmware 5.6.5 ...
Thanks for letting everyone know. I was going to upgrade. Now, there is no need.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #487
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Would you please post the link to the version of the font hack which you tested?
There is more than one of them in this thread.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #488
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@knc1: I always install and use the (latest? ) version from snapshots thread. So, it's kindle-linkfonts-0.13.N-r13420.tar.xz (from 2016-Aug-28 23:54:33)
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #489
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: I always install and use the (latest? ) version from snapshots thread. So, it's kindle-linkfonts-0.13.N-r13420.tar.xz (from 2016-Aug-28 23:54:33)
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #490
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
UI font size

Kindle paperwhite v1 fw 5.6.1.1

Can the font size of the books on the main page be increased? I know someone that needs the normal fonts to be max sized to read, and she can't read the book titles well at all. I can help her time to time, but it'd be nice to be able to enlarge the titles and leave her permanently good to go.

I read the whole thread and I know at 381, they talked about making the UI font smaller to have more books included and said it wouldn't display more books. I was wondering if larger would cause as much trouble. Ideally, I think she'd like the home page to show maybe 5 books.
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #491
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
You posted in the font hack thread so I assume you are jail breaking.

I've made my home page font a little bigger and bolder by overriding I believe either Futura or Helvetica with a font I tweaked to be 115% larger and 120% more weight. I still have the same number of lines of books (no way to change that as far as I know), but they're a bit easier to read. Be aware that this affects other areas and if you mess up you can soft brick or boot loop your kindle. Test the font out by first overriding a safer font like Baskerville.

Alternatively you can have her try using cover mode, although it's often hard to tell what the book is from the little thumbnail.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #492
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
Thank you Barty. That sounds like it'd be a good solution, even if you make it sound a little scary. I have my kindle jailbroke and the font hack is working already. I will try to mess with it and see if I can figure out how to adjust the size of the fonts. I know others have done it, its just a matter of playing with it. I got used to the older hack wherein you could easily change what the various font sizes resulted in, as well as changing the definition of wide and narrow margins. I dislike so much white space. I'm very much a fan of the small fonts and tight lines/margins.
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #493
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
I find that only in FW>=5.4.x default fallback font could be changed with Font Override.
I am using Kindle Touch with FW=5.3.x and the built-in browser displays Chinese with a very weird font.
Is there any method to simply replace the fallback font(code2000.ttf) with my own font?
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #494
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@johnleo: I honestly don't remember, but I can confirm that it behaves differently.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #495
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I just took possession of my wife's unused PW1. I downgraded, jailbroke it, installed KUAL, Python and the screensavers hack, then updated back to 5.6.1.1.

Now I'm looking to add some fonts. After taking two days to completely read through this thread, I'm thinking maybe I should just downgrade again to the 5.3.x firmware so I can see the added fonts in the Aa menu. I saw a comment about losing pop-up functionality if I do that, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.

So, would anyone mind explaining the pros/cons of downgrading? Also, would I still use this font hack, or would I need an older and/or different hack?
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch