Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #16
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll fourth A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll nominate an interesting study of the origins of World War I:

The War that Ended Peace: How Europe abandoned peace for the First World War by Margaret MacMillan. Goodreads has an excellent description of the book. MacMillan takes a less Balkan-centred approach than Clarke in his famous study.

It is available in Amazon and Kobo. TWTEP is nearly 800 pages long and on the pricey side hence some might like to get it through OverDrive or a library.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 03-05-2016 at 07:48 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:22 AM   #18
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
<offtopic>

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Part of my reading challenge this year is to read Moby Dick soon (by the end of March is the goal, though I'm not sure if it's going to happen that quickly at this point), so I'm not sure whether reading In the Heart of the Sea this month would be a great companion read, a bit of overkill, or a little of both. Whichever, I see it's thankfully not as long as Moby Dick itself so I'll fourth it.

(And no problem Bookpossum. )
You intend to read Moby Dick? That could motivate me to finally proof that text in my Complete Works epub against the Norton Critical Edition. Interested?

</offtopic>
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
<offtopic>

You intend to read Moby Dick? That could motivate me to finally proof that text in my Complete Works epub against the Norton Critical Edition. Interested?

</offtopic>
Me! Me! I am!

Moby Dick is on my very short list of must-reread-this books. But I've already benefited mightily from your efforts and I don't want to get greedy.

In my case, I know I won't get to it until next year, so no rush!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I'll nominate an interesting study of the origins of World War I:
The War that Ended Peace: How Europe abandoned peace for the First World War by Margaret MacMillan. Goodreads has an excellent description of the book. MacMillan takes a less Balkan-centred approach than Clarke in his famous study.
It is available in Amazon and Kobo. TETEP is nearly 800 pages long and on the pricey side hence some might like to get it through OverDrive or a library.
Sorry but I'm out of votes! I just wanted to say that I've read this book, and it was good! Someday I would like to read her book Paris 1919.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #21
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Me! Me! I am!

Moby Dick is on my very short list of must-reread-this books. But I've already benefited mightily from your efforts and I don't want to get greedy.

In my case, I know I won't get to it until next year, so no rush!
So that’s a deal, then. I will proof the book, and you’ll have to read it!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
So that’s a deal, then. I will proof the book, and you’ll have to read it!
Scout's honor!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
<offtopic>

</offtopic>
Oh yes, very! I've very much enjoyed the quality of the other classics I've read that have been uploaded by you. If I can (on the off chance) get my challenge reading in gear I want to start it in the next few weeks to try and meet my goal, so I'm not sure if that may be too soon for you, but it may take me longer to get to. Thanks so much for the offer!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
pynch
why in?

I’m currently working on some Conrad texts and would attack Moby Dick afterwards. Should be finished by the end of the month.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks pynch! I actually have a few books in my challenge to read by the end of the month so I'll put the Melville at the end of the line. Chances are I won't meet my goal anyway so the timing should be fine, but I am a hopeless optimist and I did manage to come from behind in December and work through a slew of books quickly to meet that challenge. Please don't hurry on my account though; I can use your current upload if need be.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #26
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Some great nominations not making the vote this time, or even getting a second, but that's probably down to so many nominated near the end. I'll use my last vote to third Two Years Before the Mast but it won't change much - the nominations are now closed, with three fully nominated works going to the vote. I'll have the poll up soon.