Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
locksoft
locksoft began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Kindle Jailbreak (5.6.1 and over)

What I understood so far is that all the existing Jailbreaks for Kindle are based on yifanlu JB some time ago.

What I'd like to know, is there any group of people working on it, trying to exploit any firmware bug? I mean like iPhone where several developers are trying to keep JB up to current iOS version?

Or it's one of those situations (like GeoHot and PS3 for example) where nobody is working anymore on it so all new updated kindle won't be able to be rooted?

Just to know because it's several weeks I'm keeping my 5.6.x in airplane mode (as I wasn't fast enough to block the first update) and I'm wondering if it's useless I'm using this precaution now.

Thanks

P.s. I know the serial port thing but I guess for most of us ordinary users it's still something too complex.
locksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@locksoft-
knc1 gave a good answer here...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
There's actually one more method how to stop Kindle from auto-updating:
Fill user store with junk like movies so that there's less than 200 MB of free space.
Elementary, my dear Watson.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
locksoft
locksoft began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
@dsmid: thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind for future but now it came a bit too late.

@GoSharks: thanks for answer, yes, that's common sense. I just asked if there was someone on the forum working on it (not asking for results). Because maybe everyone just gave up (as the guy that made the original JB seems focused on another platform now). I know that's not a simple question to answer and I respect (and admire) who spends it's own time for the community, but I fear we're just all tied to that old JB so all hopes are now lost.
locksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@locksoft-
So far the Dev's here have never been bested by Amazon. While it may take some time, I know where I'd put my money!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Amazon did a thorough nuking of everything we knew so far.

We now start from ground zero to find an exploit capable of running custom code on the Kindle.

Given time, I am sure it will happen, but we may be in for a wait.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.6.1, jailbreak, kindle, yifanlu