Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
dpminusa
dpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: kindle
Question Make Calibre Downloads faster

Calibre is a quickly evovling app. It takes me 15 to 20 minutes to download each new release. I realize my topology and equipment is a partial constraint but it still should not take 20 minutes.

Are there any ways to reduce this time I can employ?

Is it the Calbre server speed?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
dpminusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'm not sure what the bottleneck is on your end. Calibre never takes linger than a minute and a half for me. (Regular DSL Cable internet)
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yep.. Something definitely wrong with your setup. Even with my crappy borrowed wifi (I seldom get more than 500K download), it never takes more than 5 minutes for me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How far you are from the local node for your internet company and how many other people are on the line also can make a difference how fast or slow things download. Also if you have other things going on in your browser I'd guess it could slow things down. Of course how fragmented your system is might also play into that as everything slows down the more fragmented your hard drive is. I ended up going to cable internet due to my DSL slowing down (and having frequent drops).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
dpminusa
dpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguedpminusa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: kindle
Smile Calibre update speed.

Ok. If you are all getting fast updates then I will try to examine my ISP, Link, and router for issues.

I do get decent downloads from elsewhere though.

I use comcast's xfinity cable link and have wifi on my notebook. So there are some potential rocks on that road.

It helps that I know others get fast downloads though.

Thanks..

@AlbertaCowboy:
I am a transplanted Alberta Cowboy myself. Lived in Calgary for 10 years. Saw lots of Stampedes and closed lots of bars - very often the Highlander.
dpminusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Lyor
Enthusiast
Lyor began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7 Sony PRS-950, , Galaxy Note 10.1 & Tab 7+, Nook STR & HD+
Try using the alternate download link.
Lyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have AT&T DSL here in Chicago.... I just downloaded calibre 1.8.0 from the regular download link, it took about 4 minutes to download.

I then downloaded it from the alternate link.... took about 90 seconds.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
56.2MB, Took about 4 Min Sonic.net DSL
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My last 10 calibre download times are between 1'14 and 2'18, more often than not calibre downloads max out my DSL line at about 1,600KB/sec.

Occasionally I'll get a download that 'wedges' at 98/99%, can't recall it happening specifically with calibre, but usually a download stop/start fixes it.

I don't use a browser to download - I use Free Download Manager.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
TWC - 10mbit
Firefox w/DownThemAll (4 segments)

~55 sec

~45 sec from the alternate download
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I don't have any help here either the 81M OSX download took under 30 seconds from calibre's site or the alternate download link.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Perhaps download by torrent could be faster? But it is fast enough for me... Also torrents would limit the bandwidth needed by Kovid to distribute calibre.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Perhaps download by torrent could be faster? But it is fast enough for me... Also torrents would limit the bandwidth needed by Kovid to distribute calibre.
Yeah, but updates come so often that he'd probably spend a lot of time making and seeding the torrent files.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Maybe, but it can't get much faster than 81MB in 25 seconds or 10 seconds depending what source I select.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Download by torrent is a good idea, but I wonder how to implement that for the Linux version of the installer (which, thanks to the power of Python, automatically detects the latest version, downloads, and installs, without the need for a pesky browser and mouse clicks).

...Of course, after a quick search, the real problem becomes one of choosing the right package from the dozen or so available...

Another way to reduce the load would be to build incremental updates alonside full installs. I don't expect the delta from 1.8 to 1.9 to weight much compared to a full 1.8. We'd need some data about version fragmentation to determine if it's worth the pain, though.

Hm. Just for fun, I'm gonna make some experiments on that one anyways.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre updates, download