Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
LoveMyKobo
LoveMyKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Where Can I Buy Non DRM eBooks?

I used to have a Kobo eReader, and I purchased 3 books. Now I sold my Kobo and bought the new Sony Touch Reader (and I LOVE it).

Problem. I want to purchase a particular book but I do not want DRM protection on it.

I already feel cheated that the other 3 books I bought for the Kobo are now totally useless to me. I have no idea how to remove the DRM protection, so I will never buy another eBook like that again.

I don't read these forums as often as I would like, so if anyone can help, please either answer here, or send an email to marnilynn@rogers.com

Thank you
LoveMyKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKobo View Post
I used to have a Kobo eReader, and I purchased 3 books. Now I sold my Kobo and bought the new Sony Touch Reader (and I LOVE it).

Problem. I want to purchase a particular book but I do not want DRM protection on it.

I already feel cheated that the other 3 books I bought for the Kobo are now totally useless to me. I have no idea how to remove the DRM protection, so I will never buy another eBook like that again.

I don't read these forums as often as I would like, so if anyone can help, please either answer here, or send an email to marnilynn@rogers.com

Thank you
The books you bought for Kobo should be readable on the Sony Reader. They both use the same Adobe DRM. You have to register the Sony Reader to the same email address and password as your Kobo.

As for stripping drm, you can google "strip drm" and some pretty introductory articles will pop up.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your Kobo books are not totally useless to you. If you register your Sony Reader to the same ADE account that you used for the Kobo, you'll be able to read them just fine.

I'm afraid that all mainstream publishers use DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There are several places to get DRM-free books, but the Big 6 publishers mostly do not participate.
Here are some:
http://drmfree.calibre-ebook.com/ (list of various drm-free books around the web)
Manybooks (out of copyright)
Smashwords (indie mostly)
Baen Books (scifi and fantasy, this is a mainstream publisher that hates DRM).

various author's websites and small publishers.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If the book has DRM from whatever store you are looking at, it is unlikely to be available in a non-DRM form somewhere else.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Just spend the time to learn how to remove DRM infections, that way you are not as limited where you get your books from.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Strip the eBooks immediately you purchase them. I do this as a matter of course. It's a one-click or drg'ndrop process.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote