Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
disaster53
disaster53 began at the beginning.

Device: Irobot Apad
A magazine reader for android?

Hi to all,

If my question has already been discuss in another thread I'm sorry!....but there are so many thread about so many things that I could not find an answer to my question.

THE QUESTION:

Few days ago I got my Irobot Apad 7" with google android 1.6. I'm quite happy with it and reading books and comics is a breeze!....

My problem is reading magazine.....

They all come as pdf files so I converted them as epub (I use calibre) and tried to read them on aldiko or other readers.....the problem is the writing is too small to read and I cannot seems to be able to zoom (when I try nothing happen)....

I search the internet for something and I found a magazine reader called issuu mobile.....the problem?....my apad did not came with android market!!!!

So now I'm stuck!!!!!

What can I do? Is there a program that I can download that let me read magazines on the apad? Am I doing something wrong with the programs that I already have?

Please help!!!!!........and thanks for your reply!!!!!
disaster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I didn't like the Aldiko App at all. I have FBReader and it's okay. Not sure if you can get/install it on that device or not.

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
If you or somebody you know has another Android device (like a phone) that does have Market access, you should be able to acquire your apps on that device, back them up to your SD card with the Astro file manager, then copy (or email) the app file to your Android device for use.

It's not an ideal long-term solution, especially if you want to add new apps frequently, but I think it should work. I know that I can send apps this way to my wife's phone for her to use so she doesn't have to dig around in the Market for them.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
A Google search for " issuu mobile apk" resulted in several places where you can download it. Took all of 10 seconds.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
If you or somebody you know has another Android device (like a phone) that does have Market access, you should be able to acquire your apps on that device, back them up to your SD card with the Astro file manager, then copy (or email) the app file to your Android device for use.

It's not an ideal long-term solution, especially if you want to add new apps frequently, but I think it should work. I know that I can send apps this way to my wife's phone for her to use so she doesn't have to dig around in the Market for them.
This may not be the place/thread but how do you install them that way? Is it just a matter of putting the .apk in the right directory?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
A Google search for " issuu mobile apk" resulted in several places where you can download it. Took all of 10 seconds.
True. I took a look and it seems they are "pushing" the lower-tier mags. I have not heard of most of them and didn't see any of the popular mags. Not sure it's worth using....
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This may not be the place/thread but how do you install them that way? Is it just a matter of putting the .apk in the right directory?
It is actually quite simple with file manager programs like Astro or ES File Explorer. Once you have the APK file on your SD card, you just tap on it in your file manager program and the APK file will be installed automatically. After that you can either delete the APK file or archive it as a backup. BTW, an APK file is just a specially structured ZIP file, so you can use any unZIP tool to open it and see what it actually contains.

Last edited by Dave_S; 09-15-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: TYPO !!!
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
kennyc

I'll have to try that.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Backing up all your apps (and storing them somewhere else, like on your computer) also comes in really handy if you have to wipe your Android device and start fresh with a clean install, or if you migrate to a new Android device... You can just copy the folder full of apps over and install them all in one batch rather than hunting through the Market trying to find everything again.

Last edited by RoboRay; 09-15-2010 at 02:53 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
kennyc

Thanks Ray. Great idea.