Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #76
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Well, it's been a while. People can send me a PM and I am sending the link to all of them.
The software is pretty stable for me, and I see no point in not providing the link to everyone here.
So, with no further ado, here it is what they've sent me:

Quote:
This build is compiled against Lucid, give it a try and let us know:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb
It's the 32bit version. Please report to them any issues.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #77
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Works for me pretty good on both Ubuntu 10.04 and xubuntu 10.04 - easy install and no problems. I like the UI; my only complaint: I wish I could make the font smaller when reading on the computer. I can scale it up and down, but only down to about twice as big as I like. Also, is there any way to get books in there that come from a different source and/or get books from kobobooks.com out of there? I have a library of books in Calibre and now a bunch of books that I downloaded from kobobooks.com in the kobo software, which means I now have two different libraries on my computer. Would be nice to consolidate them.

EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #78
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
As far as I know the Kobo applications is only used for their books and nothing more.
Free e-books and DRMed books from other stores have to go either via ADE (Free & DRMed) or Calibre (free ones)
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #79
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually I believe that Calibre can ALSO sync DRM'd books; just it will not be able to view them, edit them, or convert them to a different format.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #80
bclintbe
bclintbe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
This is what will sell me on Kobo

I use only Ubuntu at home, so having software that is compatible with Kobo for my OS is what will definitely sell me on buying a Kobo instead of any other eReader. I will not buy a product that only supports Win/Mac.
bclintbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #81
NeilB
NeilB began at the beginning.

Device: kobo reader
I'd like a 64bit Ubuntu/Debian version that will let me sync with my kobo reader.

Or at the very least a version for Android that will let me sync with bluetooth.

Just some way to sync purchased books!

Until then, I guess I won't be purchasing any more books...
NeilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #82
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
The 32bit version they have works just fine with Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, I use it on 2 computers to sync my Kobo purchases to my Kobo ereader.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #83
NeilB

Thanks for the reply JPenguin.

Did you get your installer from this thread? This is the only place I was able to find a deb for Ubuntu. To be honest, I wasn't even able to find a download page on kobobooks or koboreader site for any platform, just pages explaining the benefits of using it, so perhaps I missed something?

When I install it on my 64bit Ubuntu 10.04, I get the message "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'". I do have an AMD CPU, so perhaps the package is locked to stop installation on AMD?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #84
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I got it by private messaging the original poster.

To install it on a 64bit version of Ubuntu run the following from the command line:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture kobo-desktop.deb
That should overcome the architecture error, if you get any errors about missing libraries then you may not have the 32bit libraries installed so run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
I agree it is a little weird that they don't seem to have even the Windows & Mac versions of the software on their website. I don't think they're ready to "support" the Linux version through their tech support people yet so I wouldn't expect to find that there yet.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #85
NeilB

Thanks, that got it working.

They went to the trouble of actually making a Linux version and then hide it away...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #86
cas67
cas67 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
OK product guy, but should you be focusing on a Firmware update first?

Hey, self-centred guy - linux users are paying customers too.

why is it that some windows users get so annoyed that people develop software for other operating systems? even if a modicum of good will is too much to ask, is a "no skin off my nose" attitude really so difficult?
cas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #87
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
Is there an rpm version of the file? I'm running PCLinuxOS and it doesn't really like deb files.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #88
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
Is there an rpm version of the file? I'm running PCLinuxOS and it doesn't really like deb files.
Just unpack the deb and install by hand. There's only a few files to copy.

ar vx kobo-desktop.deb
tar -zxf data.tar.gz
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #89
Bloggins
Bloggins
Bloggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Not so fast on the install...

I tried 3d0g's idea of just opening the deb package and installing the resultant files to their various places. The basic problem with this is that you are not allowing whatever package manager that your system uses to resolve any dependencies or warn you of any incompatibilities.

I'm running OpenSuSE 11.4 x86-64 and here's the resultant error that I get when I try to follow those instructions:

/usr/local/Kobo/Kobo: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.6.2/lib/libQtGuiKobo.so.4)

I was expecting something like this. However having said this, it doesn't preclude it working for different distros.

Does anyone know how to resolve the GLIBC_2.11 issue shown here?

Still love my Kobo!!

Cheers!!
Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #90
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloggins View Post
Does anyone know how to resolve the GLIBC_2.11 issue shown here?
Maybe run a system update and see if it picks up the newer library version?
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software