Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Head mounted light for reading?

Most book lights seem to provide a uneven illumination for illuminating a book or ebook reader. Anyone using a diffuse head or ball cap mounted light for night reading with a non illuminated screen reader? I am looking at the Streamlight 61702 Bandit which has a 35 Lumens low and a 180 lumens high. Light output is listed as diffuse as it uses a unfocused SMT technology LED array for the light output. I presume the low level would be plenty for reading. USB rechargeable and supposed to be good for about 9 hours on low beam. Very lightweight as listed as weighing 1.3 ounces. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Most book lights seem to provide a uneven illumination for illuminating a book or ebook reader. Anyone using a diffuse head or ball cap mounted light for night reading with a non illuminated screen reader? I am looking at the Streamlight 61702 Bandit which has a 35 Lumens low and a 180 lumens high. Light output is listed as diffuse as it uses a unfocused SMT technology LED array for the light output. I presume the low level would be plenty for reading. USB rechargeable and supposed to be good for about 9 hours on low beam. Very lightweight as listed as weighing 1.3 ounces. Thoughts?

I am outside at night a lot and a headlamp is a necessity. I have a few of them from the simplest that I bought for $1 to more powerful and expensive ones. I don't usually use them for reading inside but I will put on one when I am hunting for something especially in closets, or the downstairs storage room or garage and I have noticed no problem reading directions or package labels.

Your lumen ratings seem about right for your purpose.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ordered so I will report on how well it works after it arrives.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've only used headlamps for reading during extended power failures. They were better than nothing but I found it difficult to get used to the directional nature of the light -- like a form of tunnel vision.

Still, YMMV. I look forward to your assessment.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post

This is not a head lamp, but I have thought of purchasing this to use with my unlighted reader - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UE22N7M...=IWCN3RARRMVYW

I like that it has the night-time filters, and personally, I think I would find it more comfortable than having a light strapped to my head.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
This is not a head lamp, but I have thought of purchasing this to use with my unlighted reader - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UE22N7M...=IWCN3RARRMVYW

I like that it has the night-time filters, and personally, I think I would find it more comfortable than having a light strapped to my head.

Looks interesting. I have hopes for the head and billed hat mounting Streamlight due to it claiming to have a very wide flood type beam. I have a couple of flashlights with that feature too and they are great for their wide and even illumination.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you’re after a good head-mounted light, I’d suggest visiting an outdoor store. They’re extensively used by hikers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have a set of headlamps from years of camping, so I thought I'd test this out on my KA2 and my Mini to see if I had anything valuable to offer.

The lamp worked decently well with the mini, as it is so small I was able to shift it around and keep it from having glare.

With my KA2 (which, yes, I know has a light - this was just a test), the glare was a hassle. I needed a good bright light, and getting that brightness caused a glare with the headlamp because I was looking right at it. My wife and I read together 2 nights a week and we have the big reading lamp placed between our chairs so that the light is not directly shining on both of us for the same reason.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The better headlamps allow you to adjust the angle of the light, so you could avoid seeing the reflection of the LEDs on the screen.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The better headlamps allow you to adjust the angle of the light, so you could avoid seeing the reflection of the LEDs on the screen.
I think for a flat screen the most important parameter to reduce glare is to keep the angle between the light source and your eyes with respect to the screen from being too small. That is difficult with the lamp mounted on your head.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank goodness for frontlit screens!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Thank goodness for daylight
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:04 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think for a flat screen the most important parameter to reduce glare is to keep the angle between the light source and your eyes with respect to the screen from being too small. That is difficult with the lamp mounted on your head.
That is when the screen is perpendicular to your line of sight. Tilt the screen (not shift the light) to move the glare off screen. I tried with a flashlight, which would cause really horrible glare holding my old Kindle Touch or Oasis 2 as I normally read (not tilted). Tilting a little forward got rid of the glare completely while keeping the screen lit fairly even. Sitting at my kitchen counter and laying the book flat down was about the perfect angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank goodness for frontlit screens!
Amen.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:11 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thank goodness for daylight
That's in short supply in winter for those of us in high northern latitudes .
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #15
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Home depot, Lowes will have many different head lamps. In Lowes, I saw a baseball cap with LEDs in the bill.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote