Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
What's an Adverb?

I'm pretty good at using words, but I'm not very good at knowing what to call them, so I'm starting this thread. My first question is "What's an adverb, and how do I recognize one?" Here's a sample phrase where you can point out the adverb and explain what it does.

Sage didn't have time to feel bad about killing the big flier.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An adverb is a word that qualifies a verb, just as an adjective qualifies a noun. Eg if you say “I ran quickly”, the word “quickly” describes how you are running, and hence is an adverb.

There are no adverbs in your sample sentence.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The word "big" is an adjective, not an adverb. "Flier" is a noun, not a verb.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Does the word describe the action.
He coughed violently.
She ran quickly to the big building.
How did he cough?
How did she run?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Verbs are action words. Throw, kick, jump, etc. so if you have a sentence like 'he threw the dart hard at the target.' the word 'threw' would be the verb and the adverb (which modifies the verb) would seem to be 'hard' as it shows how the dart was thrown.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
One thing to look for is that adverbs often (but not always) end with -ly, as in HarryT's “quickly.” Not all words that end with -ly are adverbs, either (“We hung the holly for Christmas”). But it's a hint.

Adverbs can modify verbs as HarryT says. They can also modify adjectives (“You are mostly right”), other adverbs (“He walked quite slowly”), phrases/sentences, and even nouns and noun phrases (“There is a shortage internationally of protein for animal feeds”).

If you're having trouble pinning them down, you can take solace in the fact that modern grammarians view “adverb” as more of a catch-all category than a strict part of speech, as they really serve a number of different purposes that are lumped together. To some extent they can be viewed simply as non-adjectival modifiers, and it can be easy to conflate the two:
  • Even camels need to drink. (“Even” is an adverb)
  • Even numbers are divisible by two. (“Even” is an adjective)

As Wiki says: Adverbs typically express manner, place, time, frequency, degree, level of certainty, etc., answering questions such as how?, in what way?, when?, where?, and to what extent?
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An excellent definition, sjfan!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just to confuse matters, many words can be used both as adjectives and adverbs:

I have a fast car. <— “fast” used as an adjective.

But:

I drove my car fast. <— “fast” used as an adverb.

So it’s the role that the word plays in the sentence that makes it an adverb, not necessary the word itself.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought adverbs modified verbs as adjectives do nouns, but there are so many qualifications that I tend to doubt myself, especially since Stephen King is supposed to have said, "The author's road to hell is paved with adverbs."

@sjfan If your example, “There is a shortage internationally of protein for animal feeds” is changed to "There is an international shortage ..." is "international" an adverb?

@all With my phrase, "Sage didn't have time to feel bad about killing the big flier," isn't "bad" an adverb?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #10
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I thought adverbs modified verbs as adjectives do nouns, but there are so many qualifications that I tend to doubt myself, especially since Stephen King is supposed to have said, "The author's road to hell is paved with adverbs."

@sjfan If your example, “There is a shortage internationally of protein for animal feeds” is changed to "There is an international shortage ..." is "international" an adverb?
Adjective. It's subtle, but the latter is “what kind of shortage is it” whereas the former is “how does that shortage affect things”.

Quote:
@all With my phrase, "Sage didn't have time to feel bad about killing the big flier," isn't "bad" an adverb?
No. If Sage was a clinical psychopath, or lacked affect, or was dispassionate, then he might “feel badly” (as in, not be good at feeling things). That would be adverbial. But when he feels happy, bad, sad, or glad, that's an adjective.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I'm pretty good at using words, but I'm not very good at knowing what to call them, so I'm starting this thread. My first question is "What's an adverb, and how do I recognize one?" Here's a sample phrase where you can point out the adverb and explain what it does.

Sage didn't have time to feel bad about killing the big flier.
Just write.
Now if nearly every sentence is quickly littered with longingly, lovingly, randomly, and a seemingly endless stream of ly words, you might have an adversarially problematic thing about adverbs.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #12
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
When I was a child in school (back when dinosaurs roamed), we were taught NOT to use a phrase such as "feel bad". Teacher would harrumph, and correct us to say "feel badly"

(PS --- of course, that does have the attraction of absolutely identifying "badly" as an adverb.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 AM   #13
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
When I was a child in school (back when dinosaurs roamed), we were taught NOT to use a phrase such as "feel bad". Teacher would harrumph, and correct us to say "feel badly"

(PS --- of course, that does have the attraction of absolutely identifying "badly" as an adverb.)
Yeah, one of those things that everybody said, but wasn't supposed to. And then they acted offended if anyone said "I feel goodly," to show they understood.-)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 AM   #14
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Just write.
Now if nearly every sentence is quickly littered with longingly, lovingly, randomly, and a seemingly endless stream of ly words, you might have an adversarially problematic thing about adverbs.
You speak rightly, of course. I surely don't have to know what the words are called to use them correctly.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #15
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
Adjective. It's subtle, but the latter is “what kind of shortage is it” whereas the former is “how does that shortage affect things”.

No. If Sage was a clinical psychopath, or lacked affect, or was dispassionate, then he might “feel badly” (as in, not be good at feeling things). That would be adverbial. But when he feels happy, bad, sad, or glad, that's an adjective.
Of course! "Shortage" isn't a verb.

I can see how "badly" is an adverb for "feels." But if "feel" is a verb, I don't see how "bad," when modifying it, isn't an adverb.