Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub3 kobo external video opf issue

Producing an epub3 with videos leads to a kobo nag about manifesting external video files, as per the epub3 spec.

There are six entries in the opf, such as this:
Code:
<item id="vid2" href="https://www.website.ext/videofile2.mp4" media-type="video/quicktime"/>
(The marketplace using) Kobo responds with the following message.
Code:
Missing file OEBPS/https://www.website.ext/videofile2.mp4.: java.lang.RuntimeException
It seems to "think" that the location the https protocol refers to can be found within the epub package. Appears to be a bug in the Kobo testing suite.

I've perused the MR forums, the MR wiki, the github/kobolabs/epub-spec and various other kobo materials, to no avail.

Anyone have any idea why this occurs, or how to circumvent it, short of bloating the epub to the tune of 78mb?
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
Producing an epub3 with videos leads to a kobo nag about manifesting external video files, as per the epub3 spec.

There are six entries in the opf, such as this:
Code:
<item id="vid2" href="https://www.website.ext/videofile2.mp4" media-type="video/quicktime"/>
(The marketplace using) Kobo responds with the following message.
Code:
Missing file OEBPS/https://www.website.ext/videofile2.mp4.: java.lang.RuntimeException
It seems to "think" that the location the https protocol refers to can be found within the epub package. Appears to be a bug in the Kobo testing suite.

I've perused the MR forums, the MR wiki, the github/kobolabs/epub-spec and various other kobo materials, to no avail.

Anyone have any idea why this occurs, or how to circumvent it, short of bloating the epub to the tune of 78mb?
Have you checked against the Kobo Epub specs at https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Ryn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you checked against the Kobo Epub specs at https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec

Yes, I think I mentioned having checked that resource.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Did you add properties="remote-resources" to the manifest entry of the content document containing this video clip?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
Ryn
Connoisseur

Yes, I did. For three separate documents, which all have video tags sourcing the remote links.

Example
Code:
<item id="h1.xhtml" href="Text/h1.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="remote-resources"/>
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
For the record, no where in the official epub3 spec that I could see does it say you should add a manifest property for something not inside the epub3 container. I realize that many people/sites say you should add a manifest item for remote resources but I could not find it in the spec anyplace. If someone can send a link to where in the spec it says it should be that way, I would love to see it. A manifest by its very nature should only include things that are actually contained there-in.

So what happens if you remove the manifest items such as these:
Code:
but keep the remote-resources properties on the xhtml files with source links to external resources?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Have we been given any solid reason to believe that the subset of EPUB3 specs that Kobo supports even includes remote-resources? Last info I saw showed Kobo supporting about 60% of the EPUB3 spec.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Ryn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
For the record, no where in the official epub3 spec that I could see does it say you should add a manifest property for something not inside the epub3 container. I realize that many people/sites say you should add a manifest item for remote resources but I could not find it in the spec anyplace. If someone can send a link to where in the spec it says it should be that way, I would love to see it. A manifest by its very nature should only include things that are actually contained there-in.

So what happens if you remove the manifest items such as these:
Code:
but keep the remote-resources properties on the xhtml files with source links to external resources?
Thank you for your thoughts. What happens when I remove the manifest items is that epubcheck throws an error:

Code:
Col: 174: ERROR(RSC-008): Referenced resource is not declared in the OPF manifest.
(times 5 for 5 external links not declared)
(which made me assume that declaring external links for media files was in the spec somewhere.)

To answer your question, I cannot provide you with actual data from the spec, it was an assumption on my part.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
Ryn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Have we been given any solid reason to believe that the subset of EPUB3 specs that Kobo supports even includes remote-resources? Last info I saw showed Kobo supporting about 60% of the EPUB3 spec.
Let me ask the question in another way. Does anyone know of a way to have Kobo readers play video content that is not actually present within the epub? ie content that lives on a server somewhere, in order to keep the epub's file size down. Preferably, this would be a solution that does not break the functionality for other platforms, such as ibooks.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Let me ask the question in another way. Does anyone know of a way to have Kobo readers play video content that is not actually present within the epub? ie content that lives on a server somewhere, in order to keep the epub's file size down. Preferably, this would be a solution that does not break the functionality for other platforms, such as ibooks.
I don't know the answer myself, but even if there were a way, support for it would very likely vary from device to device and app to app (or platform to platform) within the Kobo family of devices/apps
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video is only supported by Kobo on Android and IOS (but you most likely know that)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #12
Ryn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Video is only supported by Kobo on Android and IOS (but you most likely know that)
I did see that in the kobo epub-spec hosted on github.

It is my understanding that there are kobo devices that run Android. Obviously expecting to run video on eInk devices would be folly, but so would be to require eInk device users to download and host a 80MB KePub on their relatively low-spec'ed machines, just because *some* devices are capable of video playback.

Hence the decision to host the video files remotely, which now feels like an impossibility, due to what appears to be a random rakuten testing bug.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It's hard to believe that no one has run into this. Hopefully someone will yet come forward. I have asked kobo (or well, rakuten, with whom our retailer works) about this issue as well, and will report back once they have responded in a constructive way.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One problem is what if someone is reading that eBook with no Internet access or with WiFi off? Then it won't work for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
Ryn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem is what if someone is reading that eBook with no Internet access or with WiFi off? Then it won't work for sure.
Good point. Another huge problem is that if a person turns their device off, they won't be able to read the epub like at all! How will the world survive?!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The only Kobo DEVICES that run Android are there long discontinued tablets (ARC and VOX I think).

Yes there is a Kobo app available for both IOS and Android.