Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
KAO2 Second Impression

I was really non-plussed with my first impression of the KAO2. However, the recent update to allow easy sideloading of fonts has made a huge difference. A slightly darkened Minion-Pro is, for me at least, the perfect reading font on High Res devices, (including KAO2 and PW3)

The reduced battery life and and wonky 'ergonomic' shape are still unfortunate, but they quickly fade from my consciousness if I don't dwell on them. Meanwhile, the Kindle's flawless handling of books with more complex elements, (tables, images, etc.) combined with the 7" screen is a wonderful reading experience, if you don't mind the absurd price.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Personal Opinion after long use

I've had it since the release and I just don't love it. The bigger screen is amazing, but would love a big screened voyage.

Aspects I love
- large screen
- inverting text at night
- physical buttons
- ability to disable screen and use only buttons
- waterproof

Aspects I hate
- slick metal is hard to hold, and cold and just not inviting (rubbery plastic ideal)
- lack of comfort light system
- Page numbering system, want an option that includes total pages, like "page 112 of 346"
- weird square design, just uncomfortable in my hand.
- poor battery life
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
I've had it since the release and I just don't love it. The bigger screen is amazing, but would love a big screened voyage.

Aspects I love
- large screen
- inverting text at night
- physical buttons
- ability to disable screen and use only buttons
- waterproof

Aspects I hate
- slick metal is hard to hold, and cold and just not inviting (rubbery plastic ideal)
- lack of comfort light system
- Page numbering system, want an option that includes total pages, like "page 112 of 346"
- weird square design, just uncomfortable in my hand.
- poor battery life
I too would love a larger screen & storage capacity Voyage.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I too would love a larger screen & storage capacity Voyage.
Same I have noticed the difference between my Voyage and Oasis 2 . I have a problem with the wifi connection on the Voyage and have to leave wifi on all the time, I never turn it off. If that were my Oasis it would be dead in hrs. I can go a couple weeks of reading with wifi on with the Voyage. I know it's a smaller screen and less leds, but it has more than enough light and bright enough with only 4 leds. The Oasis needs much more power to maintain the same brightness level. I would like to see a larger Voyage with half the leds of the Oasis 2. They seemed to have gotten the right mix of battery usage and leds needed on the Voyage. Will they make a new larger Voyage ? Probably not but with all the reviews I've seen on battery life on the Oasis 2, maybe they will consider something else for the next device. I'm waiting until the 2 year mark on these Oasis 2 batteries. Time will tell how long they last. That would also be about the time the next new device will be introduced. Maybe a new Voyage will be in the cards.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
non-plussed a word the koa2 dictionary taught me when I was flipping through the pages
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
invert the black and white when not in use and it saves your battery power a great deal
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
invert the black and white when not in use and it saves your battery power a great deal
That's interesting, I'll try it just to see if it works on mine too. I've tried reading with inverted white on black but didn't like it and switched back. So your saying to use inverted when you close cover ? Or screen off ? I use screen off when I'm not reading. It seems to help a little. I noticed mine was losing about 2% while sleeping on a full charge. !00% to 98% over night. It doesn't lose the 2% when I press the button and use turn off the screen mode. It's only 2% saved but over time it adds up. It's crazy the things we do to extend the battery life , even a little. Lol. Otherwise I just use it the way I read on my other devices, light level 11-15. Bold mid range too. Text size mid range.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I tried the invert mode ( white on black ) I inverted just before I closed the cover. I haven't noticed a difference yet but it's only been one night so far. Normally I press the" turn off screen mode " when I'm done reading for a while.
I'll try the invert mode for a week and see if there is a difference on mine too. I just know for mine anyway, if I use "Turn off Screen mode " it keeps it from losing percentage when not in use. Closing the cover on mine, still used battery not much about 2 %. overnight. I have no idea why but that's what it does on mine.

I don't know if maybe an update will fix that or not ? I guess it's possible on the next update.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I tried the invert mode ( white on black ) I inverted just before I closed the cover. I haven't noticed a difference yet but it's only been one night so far. Normally I press the" turn off screen mode " when I'm done reading for a while.
I'll try the invert mode for a week and see if there is a difference on mine too. I just know for mine anyway, if I use "Turn off Screen mode " it keeps it from losing percentage when not in use. Closing the cover on mine, still used battery not much about 2 %. overnight. I have no idea why but that's what it does on mine.

I don't know if maybe an update will fix that or not ? I guess it's possible on the next update.
I cannot possibly think of a reason hardware wise why the invert screen would make a difference. Neither the screen off. Instead of the cover, try the power button just like when using screen off. IIRC, on the PW the screen off was technically a glorified screensaver with a white page. It is possible it is still that.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Wearever
Wizard

The screen off mode seems to work on mine, but I'll try the power button also. With screen off mode the screen does look white. If I just close the cover at night, I'll lose 2% of the battery overnight. That's why I was thinking an update might help, since it's a small percentage. So far the invert mode hasn't helped, but since I'm just closing it with the cover. I'm still losing 2% overnight.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@Wearever: Yeah, since the screen off mode works, and the invert with cover didn't, the power button should work as well. You can only reach the screen off by the button to begin with, so the screen is already white (asleep) by time you close the cover (or leave it open if that is what you did with the screen off mode).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
@Wearever: Yeah, since the screen off mode works, and the invert with cover didn't, the power button should work as well. You can only reach the screen off by the button to begin with, so the screen is already white (asleep) by time you close the cover (or leave it open if that is what you did with the screen off mode).
I do close the cover after I use the screen off mode. The invert mode hasn't helped so now I just press the power button and if pressed say 15-20 seconds it will bring up the screen off mode, so I guess it's basically the same as pressing the power button longer to turn it off. For mine anyway it's all about the screen to save power. I can't read on it lower than 11 light level at night and use more to about 15 depending on light conditions. Outside of course is best no light needed. I do have a lipstick charger and that helps when no other power source is available.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Ugh, totally. This is such a simple and obvious design choice. I'm baffled they haven't thought to put it in yet, instead thinking, "if people want to see the page number, they probably want to have the percentage of the book showing, rather than the total number of pages". Mind-blowing!
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
I love the metal back. I use a leather cover when traveling or when it is too slippy.

Page numbers don't make a lot of sense on an ereader. You have different amount of pages depening on your font and font size.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
Page numbers don't make a lot of sense on an ereader. You have different amount of pages depening on your font and font size.
Definitely. Yet some people still prefer this way of displaying progress. Why do you think that is?
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote