Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 03:48 AM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
So lets back-port 5.6.5 to it and tell Amazon its a large screen Kindle Voyage and we want the newest of new book formats sent to it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #92
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So lets back-port 5.6.5 to it and tell Amazon its a large screen Kindle Voyage and we want the newest of new book formats sent to it.
@newman, @knc1: Let's take it to PM. (not prime minister, private msg)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-08-2015 at 06:13 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
@newman, @knc1: Let's take it to PM. (not prime minister, private msg)
I don't think the result would be worth the effort.

The "2-series" devices don't have enough memory or processor resources.

Plus, we probably would not get far trying to run ARMv7 code on an ARMv6 core.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #94
rockiecxh
rockiecxh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G/WIFI
I failed with U007 error when trying to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3. Everything seems fine, even the md5 value is same as demoed in the instructions. No luck.
rockiecxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #95
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockiecxh View Post
I failed with U007 error when trying to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3. Everything seems fine, even the md5 value is same as demoed in the instructions. No luck.
There are a lot of details in that section which you did not mention what happened in your case.

Let's work backward from the 3.3 -> 3.4 header -

Quote:
Copy that file to Kindle's USB root and run it from Kindle's interface. YifanLu adds: "You might get an error and it's OK because some of the modem files may be different, but your Kindle will be updated regardless." I did not get any error, so I can't verify that.

After restart your Kindle should be upgraded to "3.3 (611680021)", verify that in Settings.
What have you done and what where the results relating to those two paragraphs?
Advert
Old 10-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
U007 means you most likely have a borked jailbreak, or did something stupid with the public keys at one point.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #97
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
U007 means you most likely have a borked jailbreak, or did something stupid with the public keys at one point.
Oh yea, pretty much...

Sorry if I sounded like South Park Eric Cartman. Just finished an episode.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #98
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
Swap file on Kindle, an update

Just an update on using swap file on Kindle (a way to get rid of the low virtual memory problem while using bspatch in upgrade of webkit libs, or as a permanent option to enlarge Kindle's virtual memory): It corrupts /mnt/base-us/ filesystem frequently! I usually noticed that when plugged Kindle via USB to PC and Calibre told me that mounted FS is probably read-only. Even when I fixed those corruptions with fsck they were happening again and again... When I removed the swapfile (it was on /mnt/base-us/) the corruptions are gone. I guess it may have something to do with remount of /mnt/base-us/ filesystem when Kindle is attached to PC via USB.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
- - - - -
When I removed the swapfile (it was on /mnt/base-us/) the corruptions are gone.

I guess it may have something to do with remount of /mnt/base-us/ filesystem when Kindle is attached to PC via USB.
Does the same happen when the swapfile is on /mnt/us ?
I don't recall which of those FUSE layered file systems twobob used.

I do recall that twobob did his work via ssh over wifi.
(ssh, sftps, scp, vlc, etc)
The USB cable was just used for external power.

So it is possible that in his use-case he never had the opportunity to discover any inter-action with the exchanging of kernel driver modules and the swap storage.

But I do know that he ran native compiles on his K5 that where long running (libwebkit-gtk takes days) without troubles.

Some of the other people using swap - - -

Some created a file in USB storage, converted it to a device (with losetup) and then used the swap partition driver on that device.

Geekmaster used (or at least tested) doing swap over an NBD over WiFi connection to his pc.
I don't recall if he ever used (or even tested) NBD over the USB cable network.

One note on the NBD + network driver combination -
There is (or at least there was) a rather rare kernel deadlock path in that combination.
But it is (or was) rare and did not corrupt anything, just required a hard (power button) re-boot.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #100
thatworkshop
hub

wuh?!!! I use swapon /mnt/us/ all the time (size 256mb).
No issues insofar.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
wuh?!!! I use swapon /mnt/us/ all the time (size 256mb).
No issues insofar.
That may be the key, to use /mnt/us/ rather than /mnt/base-us.

I might have even written: 'use /mnt/base-us/' somewhere, I honestly don't recall if I did or not.
I am sorry for any trouble I caused if it was my doing.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #102
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd honestly have said use base-us too, to avoid the fuse layer of interaction (I wouldn't even have expected swap to work on top of a fuse proxy), so, yeah .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #103
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd honestly have said use base-us too, to avoid the fuse layer of interaction (I wouldn't even have expected swap to work on top of a fuse proxy), so, yeah .
I would have expected it to deadlock almost immediately.

At least if it allocates memory.
Anything that allocates memory in the path of servicing swap (which gets accessed by shortage of memory) would seem to be a no-no.

Hey, but if it works . . . .
Old 10-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #104
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That may be the key, to use /mnt/us/ rather than /mnt/base-us.

I might have even written: 'use /mnt/base-us/' somewhere, I honestly don't recall if I did or not.
I am sorry for any trouble I caused if it was my doing.
On my side, everything looks good, M. Thanks.

By the way, I wish Kindles were System on SD card too, just like some models of Kobo are. It would have been phenomenal!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #105
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
I mean this:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/base-us/swapfile bs=1M count=64
chmod +x /mnt/base-us/busybox
/mnt/us/busybox mkswap /mnt/base-us/swapfile
/mnt/us/busybox swapon /mnt/base-us/swapfile
It's the only combination of /mnt/us × /mnt/base-us which worked for me. It does not work for me with /mnt/us/ (not sure which step exactly).
newman is offline   Reply With Quote