Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
u238110
Connoisseur
u238110 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura, N514KUBKKEP, 4.7.10.413
What types of businesses cut the spines off of books?

What types of businesses should I look for to have the spines of books removed? And can all of these places do hardcover books?

I'm under the impression that separating the pages from a book manually is pretty laborious as you have to do a final step that involves cutting all the pages with a paper cutter so that they're clean enough to be inserted into the page feeder, and this requires a person to cut the pages in small stacks.
u238110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Many printers have guillotines which will cut off the spines as will any book-binder.

If you have loads to do you could think about buying one. Mine cost about £200 ($320) from ebay a few years ago and has done about 1200 books.

Using a manual guillotine is a bit of an art, I've found.

I've fixed the support that holds the book edge in place and move the book around with some shims (thin pieces of plastic). The width of a 'standard' paperback varies by over 1/4 of an inch - even between books in the same series published at the same time!

Also, I've stuck some high friction material (intended to stop chopping boards moving) on the base which reduces the amount the book moves into the blade as it is chopped.

These issues may be unique to me or my guillotine, but if not I hope this is helpful.

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
A lot of copy shops have a guillotine available. I personally have this one at home, but those are expensive (I got a good deal...)
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
A good print shop will have something like this:

Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My local printer is happy to do it for me for free (although the fact that I buy all my stationery supplies from him probably helps).

Any printer will have a guillotine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
u238110
Connoisseur
u238110 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura, N514KUBKKEP, 4.7.10.413
Thanks guys. So just look for copy shops and printing shops? There's the phone book... are there any digital directories you recommend? Craigslist, Google Maps...
u238110 is offline   Reply With Quote