Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
TheRaven81
TheRaven81 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7
What's the difference between formats?

I'm looking at all these formats, and I am wondering what the difference is between them all? For example: I found out that an ePub is basically a set of xhtml files, along with a few others, zipped up in a single compressed file.

But there's also
  • MOBI(for Kindle),
  • LRF(Sony), and
  • IMP

So what is the difference between these file types, in terms of how they are made (if any)?
TheRaven81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven81 View Post
I'm looking at all these formats, and I am wondering what the difference is between them all? For example: I found out that an ePub is basically a set of xhtml files, along with a few others, zipped up in a single compressed file.

But there's also
  • MOBI(for Kindle),
  • LRF(Sony), and
  • IMP

So what is the difference between these file types, in terms of how they are made (if any)?
Exactly the kind of question that is best answered in our wiki. Read the wiki articles and then ask your questions about whatever you didn't understand.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Specifically, see this page: E-book_formats
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
TheRaven81
TheRaven81 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7
ah. ok. somehow I failed to notice the wiki's existence. I will take a look.
TheRaven81 is offline   Reply With Quote