Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Waterproof case/bag

In a couple of weeks I'm going to housesit for friends for a week (and again for 2-3 weeks this summer). They have a big bath, which I have never used because I get bored quickly.

Yesterday I saw a store selling a ziplock bag made out of special plastic so you can use the touchscreen of your device and I thought that would be great for reading in bath. However, this was a water and sand resistant case. More for use on the beach of swimming pool than for in bath.

I've looked around for a better waterproof case or bag for my Kindle and tablet (8 inch) and there is a lot of choice. Prices varying from just over €10 up to €50. The latter one can be used for diving.

So now I'm wondering if anyone has good, or bad, experiences with these types of cases/bags. I don't want to spend too much money on it, since if I use it a dozen times a year it'll be a lot, but I do want one that's better than just water resistant.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
Last time I just used a regular ziplock freezer bag. It worked for my Samsung tablet.
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why not have a bath and then read afterwards? I wouldn't risk any expensive reader near water, personally, unless it's actually certified as being waterproof.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
Last time I just used a regular ziplock freezer bag. It worked for my Samsung tablet.
Yep. It works.

I learned a long time ago when traveling, especially roughing it, lots of plastic bags should be taken along. All sizes. Different kinds of seals.

I kept stressing that to one of my sons, the youngest and by far the biggest who isn't afraid of anything, to carry some bags when he went hiking. Well no, just too much trouble, then he stepped into a hole in a creek he was crossing up to his chest, and his expensive new phone was soaked. We tried all the treatments but to no avail. An expensive loss a zip lock bag would have prevented.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Yep. It works.

I learned a long time ago when traveling, especially roughing it, lots of plastic bags should be taken along. All sizes. Different kinds of seals.

I kept stressing that to one of my sons, the youngest and by far the biggest who isn't afraid of anything, to carry some bags when he went hiking. Well no, just too much trouble, then he stepped into a hole in a creek he was crossing up to his chest, and his expensive new phone was soaked. We tried all the treatments but to no avail. An expensive loss a zip lock bag would have prevented.
Yep. When I backpack, I put my wallet, phone, etc in a heavy duty ziplock bag and put the zip lock in a waterproof bag designed for kayakers. I do the same with my eReader (kindle paperwhite these days). The kayak bag goes in the top pocket of my pack with my rain gear. I've never had a problem and I'm been using this system for a number of years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
I'm afraid of using a regular ziplock bag, I just don't trust them. Also, all the heavy duty ones I've been able to find so far have a white or coloured band on both sides, which isn't ideal. I'd rather spend a bit more and be sure that it's waterproof.

When I'm out and there's a chance my device(s) can get wet I do double bag them, but I've never been in a situation where there's a chance they will get soaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not have a bath and then read afterwards? I wouldn't risk any expensive reader near water, personally, unless it's actually certified as being waterproof.
As I said, I get easily bored in bath. I usually last about as long as my bathbomb. I know listening to music or a podcast doesn't work. Reading does, but I've looked for a pbook I wan't to read but couldn't find anything. Also I don't like it when the pbook I read gets damp (I like hot baths).
Old 02-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm. My routine is get in bath, wash, get out of bath. I've never stayed in a bath long enough to get bored .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
It's a girl thing
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. My routine is get in bath, wash, get out of bath. I've never stayed in a bath long enough to get bored .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It's a girl thing
Yep. I'm a shower person, probably because we haven't got a bath at home, just a shower. So I see a bath as a luxury that I wan't to enjoy as long as possible, especially when I have spend money on a nice bathbomb or bath oils. When housesitting I won't take a bath every day, just two or three times.

In summer, when I usually housesit it's usually warm or hot and then I can't imagine take a bath. But with the weather prediction of 3 to 5C and some a couple of rainy days a bath after I return from work (have to cycle to and from home, and I'm a self-confessed good weather cyclist) sounds really good.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never been a bath person. I like to take a shower. It does not take me long to shower, which helps even me to resist trying to read during my showers. That and I usually do not have a free hand to hold my book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It's a girl thing
I'm a guy, and it's awesome to soak in the hot tub while reading at the end of a long week.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I rarely use the cat hockey rink, er I mean bath tub. It is nice to soak in a hot bath when I'm particularly stiff and sore, but then I get glares from the cats.

I typically read in the bath when I take a bath. I read on my iPad mini without any protection. Never had a problem, but I'm pretty careful.

I suppose you could get one of those desk devices they use to put over bath tubs back in the old days. I imagine a piece of plywood cut to the right size would achieve the same effect.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
I'm a guy, and it's awesome to soak in the hot tub while reading at the end of a long week.
Not for me. I think about the last time I willingly took a bath was about 40 years ago – maybe longer. (I think I was forced to take a few baths when I wrecked my knee about ten years ago.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The tub where I currently live is rather small and not particularly appealing for a long soak. As I am quite the klutz, if I were going to read in the tub I would stick to something cheap and easily replaceable such as a paper magazine.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 AM   #15
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I've ordered the Moko waterproof case, which seems to be getting good reviews. When I'll get it I'll test it and report back if it is works well. I did read the material is thin-ish. So if I like it I might end up investing in a more expensive, tougher case.