Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

Large PDF Files

Hello All,

I'm thinking of getting an iLiad but I'm not sure if the software is upto snuff, yet.

Hows does the iLiad handle lardge PDF files. From what I understand there is no goto function (yet.) So if there is say a 400 page reference document, how does one get to page 260? I though I saw on someone's video that on the lower right part of the screen there is a slider type thing and the person touched it with the stylus to jump to the middle of the document. Is this possible? Even if one cannot control exactly where the reader jumps to, this would be much better than going 5 pages at a time from the front of the document.

Also, I understand that if one closes a doc then reopens it the reader starts on the page it was at before. Is this the case? Even if a second document has been opened will th
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
doctorwes
doctorwes began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
You can use the stylus to jump to the middle of the document, which gets you approximately where you want to go. For most large PDF documents, I've found this to be a fairly efficient way to navigate; for large scanned documents, it's slower, but not painfully slow.

If you close a document then reopen it, the reader does start again on the last viewed page, and remembers the zoom settings too, even if you've opened other documents in the meantime.
doctorwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have loaded documents that have thousands of pages. As outlined above if you know which page you need to access you can uses the page bar.

Links in pdf's can be used. I modded a document of mine with a couple of links and it will work. This can be a time consuming and cumbersome process using Acrobat (I use 6, I don't know if the newer versions are easier).

Currently bookmarks do not function. See jaed's post on his program that will develop a table of links from the bookmarks in pdf files as a stop gap till iRex integrates bookmark support. I will be trying jaed's program when I get a chance.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Almagne
Enthusiast
Almagne began at the beginning.

Thanks for the quick replies!

The jump to function does not seem to be very well documented. I'm glad I looked at the videos of the iRex, otherwise I would have thought there was no way to get to the middle, except by paging there.

Almagne

P.S. The battries on my keyboard died in mid-sentence last night! That's why the first message abruptly ended.
Almagne is offline   Reply With Quote