Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
bcogney
bcogney began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
ok Kovid. I downloaded Calibre and tested a few ePub files I had, here's my notes:
1) It's a great application if you want to generate Mobi, Sony, and ePub files.
2) I wanted to fix errors the checkers (1.0.3) threw "attribute not allowed". I was hoping Calibre can fix this really quick. So here's what i did, I uploaded the ePub file in Calibre, and once again, converted the same ePub file to ePub! I was hoping this will do the rick, but appearantly, it didn't. Any suggestions?
3) So what is that Calibre is doing that the checkers are not doing to the ePub file? Can you package an ePub file if I "unzipped it", then fixed XHTML or whatever needed fixing?

4) I think options like "Validate ePub" or "check ePub" with an editor to clean up the files you need to clean then re package might be a great new feature to the tool.

5) You mentioned there is no one tool, can you please point me to "the collection of reliabe tools", beside your fine Calibre tool that I would need to generate and check my ePub files.

Jellyby, thanks for your link. This clarified a lot of the errors I seen in all versions of checkers. but I am confused and worried now, if I am hearing 2 different answers on the checkers.
bcogney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not correct the typical errors the checkers complain about, only errors that are likely to prevent your EPUB from actually working. And yes, you can unzip an EPUB correct errors and tell calibre to convert the OPF file to EPUB. See for http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/ADEQuirks for a subset of "errors" calibre will correct.

And almost all attribute not allowed errors can be safely ignored, with a few exceptions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
bcogney

ok.. after working on a few epub files, I ran across this error “Not Importable. BookKey” when iporting an epub file to the readers (Mobipocket/Amazon Kindle). Any idea what this error means? and why it's showing up?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
bcogney

reading other posts https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17239 DRM'd mobipocket files will not import in the kindle. So if I want to import a DRM'd ePub file in Kindle, how can I do that?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcogney View Post
So if I want to import a DRM'd ePub file in Kindle, how can I do that?
Remove the DRM?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #21
bcogney

lol..unfortunantly for these titles, I have to keep the DRM
Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcogney View Post
lol..unfortunantly for these titles, I have to keep the DRM
Even if you did the Kindle will not read ePUB so you would also have to convert them to something else. The Kindle is simply not suitable for ePUB at this time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
bcogney

ok...that's good to know.