Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
agent619
agent619 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
New User, need help

Hi all (and apologies for the generic title),

I've just recently purchased Marvin SXS and I'm having some trouble with it, mostly due to my lack of familiarity.

1. I'm looking to create my own seperate library, as is the feature with Marvin SXS. I'm hoping to create 3 libraries, one for ebooks, one for fanfiction, and one for comic CBRs. How do I go about it?

2. I'm trying to link Dropbox to Marvin, and while the location sync works the import books do not. While I have already uploaded books to Dropbox through Calibre, when trying to import books through the app it just comes up with a blank screen. This has also been happening on the M3 app (which I have been using for a few months prior). Any way to fix this?

Many thanks!
agent619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Just to make sure you have the settings correct:

-under General Settings make sure it shows as "linked" under link to dropbox

-under dropbox search path do you have it set to "look Everywhere" or did you give it a specific folder? Try setting to 'look everywhere' for trouble shooting purposes

-then make sure it is an .epub or .cbz file in dropbox (not trying to be insulting but sometimes users think Calibre is transferring one format when it is set up to transfer a different format by default)

If all of that is done you should see your list of books. Dropbox works just fine for me and SxS is exactly the same as M3 so it should work there as well. If that hasn't fixed it, try unlinking and re-linking dropbox. As a last resort, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling...

As far as separate libraries...I'm not sure you are thinking of SxS in the correct context. My, admittedly limited, understanding of SxS is that it is intended to allow a second instance of Marvin to be run Side-by-Side of regular Marvin - on an ipad or other large display device. iThings don't allow two instances of the same app to be run concurrently, so while SxS is exactly the same as M3, it is technically a separate app. This loophole allows Marvin to have two books up at the same time... very convenient for researchers, translators, etc.

While SxS could be used to show a separate library it really isn't necessary. In M3 you can separate your different types of books very easily by putting them in different collections (Long tap or swipe on a book and select Organize in Collections). Then you can sort and/or filter on collections for your book lists/types. If you are concerned about people reading certain books in your library, you can simply password protect those books. M3 can use your fingerprint (on suitable devices) to open them - so it's quite convenient.

Calibre allows you to work with separate physical libraries (files) if you really need to, but most people don't need to. Calibre's filter and sort functionality make it very easy (and faster/better IMO) if all your books are in the same library file. These quick filters are called "virtual library" in Calibre. There is a button to the left side in the ribbon. When you select that "library" it filters to display only those books in that group. I have my calibre set for two different libraries: "Real Books"(SF&F) and my wife's "Latin Teacher" books *shudder*

I hope all this rambling helps!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
OH...and welcome to MR!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote