Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Villa10
Villa10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The "Can't Miss" fantasy books!

It's raining and cold season here in Brazil (by that, sorry for the bad english) and i need something really nice to read on my stay-inside time. Already finish the Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore as one the can't miss indications (and boy they're wrong) and now trying to read the Inferno (Dan Brown), but not get into me... i would like a fantasy book, some of The Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter style, with that 'WOW' sensation.

Thank you guys very much, love the foruns and the indications... good reading to y'all.
Villa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
slippy
slippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Sony PRS-300
Terry Pratchett, discworld series.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I enjoyed Alex Bledsoe's Eddie Lacrosse books and Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris's Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences books

Both a little different
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword by Tee Morris
The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans
So You Want To Be A Wizard? by Diane Duane
Magician by Raymond E. Feist
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
David Eddings' "Belgariad" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I've got to put in Stephen Donaldon's Thomas Covenant series (two trilogies and a yet to be completed quartet). I cannot honestly say these are "Can't Miss", there are some that don't like them, but they are still some of the best fantasy I've ever read. More serious and adult-themed than LotR and Harry Potter, but for me these definitely had that WOW factor.

Apparently there have been some issues with the ebook versions, hopefully most of those have been resolved by now (I still have the pbooks on the shelves).

Last edited by gmw; 05-31-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Corrected "three trilogies" to "two trilogies"
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books being some of the best fantasy speaks more to Sturgeon's Law, than any innate quality.

My suggestions:

- Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising pentalogy
- Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy
- Roger Zelazny's Amber decalogy
- Poul Anderson's _The Broken Sword_ and _The Merman's Children

If you're interested in sword and sorcery, Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock make for an interesting contrast, and if you haven't read them, you should read Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter books, as well as Tarzan and Pellucidar (available here in omnibus editions).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
While not LOTR fantasy, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is probably the funniest book I've read in years.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books being some of the best fantasy speaks more to Sturgeon's Law, than any innate quality.[...]
I can understand that some people that find the series difficult, the main character puts a lot of people off, but of quality there is no question.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ooh, good call on Roger Zelazny's Amber series. If you don't want to start a big book-a-thon I'd still recommend his Lord of Light (one of my all-time fav's), Roadmarks, or Jack of Shadows. Lord of Light touches on SF but only in a mostly-hidden lightly-touched way.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Ooh, good call on Roger Zelazny's Amber series. If you don't want to start a big book-a-thon I'd still recommend his Lord of Light (one of my all-time fav's), Roadmarks, or Jack of Shadows. Lord of Light touches on SF but only in a mostly-hidden lightly-touched way.
Lord of Light is my favorite Zelazny book. I just wish it would be released as an eBook.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Having just finished the ninth in the series, I'll throw in the Thraxas series by Martin Scott.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Having just finished the ninth in the series, I'll throw in the Thraxas series by Martin Scott.
Working my through the Thraxas series thanks to HarryT. Kind of pulpy, but they're a fun read.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The title of your thread is a bit confusing. There are many "can't miss" or better said "shouldn't miss" fantasy books. But as for your specific request of something like Lord or the rings and Harry Potter, I recommend this:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/4037...les-of-prydain
And I know how you feel. Rainy season here as well o7
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote