Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #151
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaberer View Post
Sony announced this already, so it's legit, but doesn't look like they'll be releasing it in flexible form at this time. It would be really nice if they announced their new readers soon so we can decide what to get next. My wife's nook glow got a big scratch this weekend. She'd prefer to go back to Sony, but not without a built in light. I'm really hoping their stupid comments about not doing light turn out to be wrong. I'd really like to see them release a Z series that is water and dust proof. Most of our reading is done pool/beach/lake side.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/17/s...k-slate-video/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/s...aper-hands-on/
My big wish is for a colour e-ink reader. I'd love to be able to read magazines and books with lots of illustrations on an ereader; but I doubt if I'm going to see that any time soon.
My T1 still serves me well at present, but my next device will definitely be a front lit one. I hope Sony can offer me this in the forthcoming year. I'm not attracted to Amazon's locked eco-system but if push ever comes to shove (i.e. if my T1 should fail) I may well go for a Kindle PW.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #152
dhaberer
dhaberer began at the beginning.

Device: A few different ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
My big wish is for a colour e-ink reader. I'd love to be able to read magazines and books with lots of illustrations on an ereader; but I doubt if I'm going to see that any time soon.
My T1 still serves me well at present, but my next device will definitely be a front lit one. I hope Sony can offer me this in the forthcoming year. I'm not attracted to Amazon's locked eco-system but if push ever comes to shove (i.e. if my T1 should fail) I may well go for a Kindle PW.
Here's a color one for you: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/p...for-june-2013/

I highly doubt Sony will do color though. If they're saying a light takes away from the paper reading experience, I can only imaging what they think about color.

If you need to switch, go to Nook Glow before Kindle PW. Nook still supports epub so your sony library will work just fine. Their ecosystem isn't locked down like Amazon's is. Amazon in my mind is one step away from being as bad as Apple.
dhaberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Triton is just not ready for prime time. An 8" 800x600 display is just going to be poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #154
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
If you need to switch, go to Nook Glow before Kindle PW.
The Nook Glowlight screen is flawed. I wouldn't buy one. The PW screen has problems, too. The best lighting system is Kobo's, and that has other issues. I don't see any great choices at the moment.

Quote:
Their ecosystem isn't locked down like Amazon's is.
Quote:
Ecosystem. Noun. Pity ecosystem, a case of what happens when good words fall in with a bad crowd. Rebecca Greenfield explains, "This reasonable science-related word has been co-opted by the tech writing community, which has senselessly ravaged it. The true meaning of the term translates to a 'biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.' As in, the place where living things live together. To tech writers, however, ecosystem involves a lot of non-living things that just happen to share characteristics. The Android ecosystem, the app ecosystem, the tablet ecosystem, the digital ecosystem, the start-up ecosystem — it's not like at the end of the day all the little gadgets go home to their gadget neighborhoods and hang out."
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #155
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Nook Glowlight screen is flawed. I wouldn't buy one. The PW screen has problems, too. The best lighting system is Kobo's, and that has other issues. I don't see any great choices at the moment.
My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm hoping Sony release a front lit model in the near future.
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #156
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing about front-lighting is that it works well in dim-light but not in full darkness. In full darkness apparently it becomes unpleasantly like back-lighting, i.e. like a tablet. So I don't know if it's the magic wand some people think. It's handy, yes, but it doesn't appear to be a replacement for a light in a dark room.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #157
Gilmartin
Zealot

The only time I've really felt the need for a lit screen was on a recent long haul flight. The reading light above my seat was too dim for me and Mr. Murphy imposed his law on my clip on light, which decided to pack in
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #158
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
The only time I've really felt the need for a lit screen was on a recent long haul flight. The reading light above my seat was too dim for me and Mr. Murphy imposed his law on my clip on light, which decided to pack in
Bet that sucked.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #159
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
One thing about front-lighting is that it works well in dim-light but not in full darkness. In full darkness apparently it becomes unpleasantly like back-lighting, i.e. like a tablet. So I don't know if it's the magic wand some people think. It's handy, yes, but it doesn't appear to be a replacement for a light in a dark room.
It's not unpleasant to me. I use both of my front lit ereaders in complete darkness with no issues. It is still much more pleasant to look at than my Kindle Fire HD. I seldom if ever read on that. So yes the Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo are fine in dark rooms with no other light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #160
dhaberer

I personally have no need for the front light, though I do have the lighted cover for my T1. My wife, on the other hand, reads in the dark every day. I'm not sure what you mean by the Nook's light being flawed, unless you're talking about the light bleed at the top and that it's slightly green. If that's what you mean, then it's fairly pointless as it lets her reader for hours on end at night. I definitely prefer her using that over having the light on at night when I'm trying to sleep. She still has her PRS-650, but uses the Nook Glo because she's become accustomed to the light. I haven't been able to talk her into the new 7" Kobo yet which would get her back to the larger screen she loved so much. So, we're patiently waiting for Sony's new line. If no light, then Kobo it is. Amazon will stay off any list of our though due to their drm and lack of epub support.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #161
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
It's not unpleasant to me. I use both of my front lit ereaders in complete darkness with no issues. It is still much more pleasant to look at than my Kindle Fire HD. I seldom if ever read on that. So yes the Paperwhite and the Kobo Glo are fine in dark rooms with no other light.
It is so much better to me than any clip-on light it is not funny. To each his/her own. Just, in my case, there is no room for any ereader that is not front-lit.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #162
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the Nook's light being flawed, unless you're talking about the light bleed at the top and that it's slightly green.
The Nook light is well-known for developing bright spots. Glad you haven't got any. Yet. I have a Nook STR and like it very much.

A lot of people seem to be counting Sony out. I think they are myopic. Sony has opened an e-book store in Australia. They are showing off a 14" prototype e-ink slate at the moment and E-ink recently announced that they will be mass-producing a large, flexible plastic-substrate e-ink screen they have developed with Sony next year. Boom.

Rather than being out of the running, I suspect Sony may be about to revolutionize e-readers yet again. I look forward to seeing their new model in the autumn.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #163
dhaberer

Based on what I've seen in the FCC, I wouldn't expect any revolution. Heck, I don't even see them staying competitive unfortunately. I still prefer their software over any other ones. Fortunately, with the nook on the way out, I was about to pick up a couple more last week for $30. It may not be our dream reader, but you can't beat the price. Everywhere that has them seems to be clearancing them eventually (radio shack first then compusa).
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #164
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Based on what I've seen in the FCC, I wouldn't expect any revolution. Heck, I don't even see them staying competitive unfortunately. I still prefer their software over any other ones. Fortunately, with the nook on the way out, I was about to pick up a couple more last week for $30. It may not be our dream reader, but you can't beat the price. Everywhere that has them seems to be clearancing them eventually (radio shack first then compusa).
Yeah, I bought a couple of STRs. They're great rooted. Even if I buy a new model, they were super-cheap.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #165
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Yeah, I bought a couple of STRs. They're great rooted. Even if I buy a new model, they were super-cheap.
I agree! I got one recently, and it was pretty nice, but when I rooted it, it became excellent! I have Mantano on it. Love it! It's better than the T1 I had, and better than the Kobo and Paperwhite--except for their lights.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote