Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Axcbjlg
Axcbjlg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3 with 3G Firmware versiom 3.4.1
Can't do jailbreak update

Hi,

I have an Amazon Kindle 3G, version 3.4.1. I found NiLuLe's jailbreak hack list, and I put it on my Kindle, no problem. I also put the USB network hack and font hack on, all worked perfectly well.

Then, I messed something up and panicked, and did a factory reset. Right now, my Kindle works, and I can read books and stuff, but it rejects all update hacks. The Kindle loads the update a bit, then says "The update failed. Your Kindle is restarting" or something of the likes. There is no error code. I tried again, and the same thing happened.

I'm doing the exact same thing, but now the updates are failing. I would love some help to get the hacks working again.

TL;DR: I did the hacks, and they worked. Then I did a factory reset, and the hacks do not work anymore.

Thanks for the help!
Axcbjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Manually restore the linkjail folder from the JailBreak source package (i.e., the one from the snapshots). Then restart your device, and try again.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Axcbjlg

To clarify:

Just to clarify what you mean (becayse I am a noob):
Make a folder called linkjail in the kindle directory where the jailbreak hack would normally put it and try again.

I'm probably going to try this before you reply, but if you meant something different, lrt me know.

Thanks for the help!
(fyi, I am typing this on my kindle )
Old 01-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Axcbjlg

Note to self-Kindles are not good for using forums
I reread your post, and realized that I misunderstood it. I should put the "linkjail" folder from your snapshots page, put it on the Kindle, and reboot. The Update_*_.bin file should not be used.

Sorry for the double reply, and thanks again.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Axcbjlg

Okay.
I made an empty folder called "linkjail" in the Kindle.
Then, I did the jailbreak update with the Update_*_.bin file.
The update failed, and the linkjail folder is empty.

I think I did something wrong.
Advert
Old 01-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, just put the linkjail folder from the src packages back to the root of the Kindle, and restart. Forget about the JB install .bin file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jb_linkjail.png
Views:	575
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	134388  
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Axcbjlg

Oh, I didn't look there! Thanks a lot.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Axcbjlg

I did what you said, then did the Font update thing to make sure it worked. The Kindle said the update was not successful with a little "U007" in the corner. The fonts did not change, and there is no fonts folder on the Kindle.

I'm still really confused; all these hacks worked until I did the reset.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's the usual "JB-not-installed" error code. Gonna need to look at some logs to try to guess what's going wrong, since restoring the linkjail folder should have done the job.

Enter ;dm in the Homescreen's search bar, and PM me the log files it'll dump in the documents folder.

Don't be confused, that's the expected behavior after a factory reset on a K3, the JB is slightly more convoluted than usual on that model. Factory resets on Kindles are very 'soft', and actually touch very few things (for good reason: they really don't need to do much more than what they currently do on vanilla devices), which doesn't prevent them from breaking a lot of custom stuff in fun & interesting ways .

EDIT: Actually, no, that's not the expected behavior after a factory reset, that would be stupid. That's the expected behavior if you were using yifan's JB, but not mine. Got confused, my bad. Doesn't change the fact that looking at logs will shed more light on everything though .

Which means I'm also gonna need more details on what exactly you meant by "messing stuff up"...

Since you had USBNetwork installed, you can also try the same trick, restore the usbnet folder from the source package.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-31-2015 at 05:03 PM.