Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
video review: Sony Reader WiFi (PRS-T1)

Nathan from the-ebook-reader.com posted a review of the new Sony Reader WiFi, looks really good. I would hope the one feature I wish they have (tap to turn pages) will be available in an update as a setting in the future since dictionary lookups are press-and-hold anyway. Going to pick this up as soon as available in my local Target.

Another review posted this time by MobileTechReview:

Last edited by log; 10-04-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added MobileTechReview
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Thanks for sharing this with us. I think this has helped make my decision for me. Once I have the money saved , I'll be getting a TS1.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Thank you for this review. This is the first one that I have seen and it looks very good. To me, this validates my decision in purchasing the reader.

I'm looking forward to setting the whole thing up!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
This review shifts my first impression of the T1 to a more positive one!

The plastic frame still looks ugly in my eyes. But:

- finally they managed to produce a functional landscape mode.
- fontsize increment looks more narrow now (but it's hard to evaluate it from that video)
- web access and web page display seems to work very usable
- access to internal dictionary is (against first impression) is very easy from within a book
- PDF: they added a user-defined cropping mechanism from within an open PDF!!! Very impressive...
- adding notes within books seems to be more easy

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
wow, the PDF user defined cropping is very very interesting. Still, I also like the aluminum look of the PRS line better.
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

updated first post

Last edited by log; 10-04-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: moved to first post
Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
It looks good, but I am a bit worried about the flashes. I have a headache just from watching the review . Hopefully I'll get used to them...
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
log

It looks like Sony intentionally did not add it for books since you see in the MobileTechReview there already is a capability for partial page refresh implemented in the display driver (demonstrated in web browser). I'd imagine they did this to get the best possible display when reading books.

Even the new Kindle apparently had to put an option for people to adjust partial page refresh even though it didn't ship with that option.

I'm hoping Sony learns from their competitors and gives an update in the future for partial page refresh option, as well tap to turn page. From reading these forums it does seem like they don't have the best reputation for updating firmware. I'm hoping the decisions to converge on a single e-Ink device and use Android will make actually help them do some regular updates for us.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Well, they've basically promised at least one update to the T1 at this point, to include support for automatic delivery.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thanks for the videos - I'm a bit more convinced, but whether I'll prefer it to my 650.... jury, as they say, is out until I get my hands on one.
I don't think that'll happen here until we have a Reader Store.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The fact that it is confirmed Android makes a lot of doubts about the interface and even page refreshes moot. The device, if rootable, will be supremely customisable. I just saw a vid of a Nook Touch (Android and rootable) running Windows 7...the T1 is likely to be even more flexible because it's buttons are more Android standard.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
From reading these forums it does seem like they don't have the best reputation for updating firmware.
With regards to ereaders their reputation (unlike other manufacturers) is to deliver a bug free device that doesn't require updating. When an actual bug is found they have corrected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
I'm hoping the decisions to converge on a single e-Ink device and use Android will make actually help them do some regular updates for us.
This may be a possibility, but as long as the ereader doesn't need a bug fix I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for updates. I imagine independent developers will present all of the alternative functions anyone could want in a variety of packages. Seeing what these developers come up with will be great fun.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
With regards to ereaders their reputation (unlike other manufacturers) is to deliver a bug free device that doesn't require updating. When an actual bug is found they have corrected it.
This is true. Although as I've mentioned in other threads, when you try to subscribe to a periodical it mentions that the T1 has an update coming "Soon(tm)" to support automatic delivery. Whoops?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks for the review! I have a positive impression of the T1 now. I am still completely satisfied with my 650, but if that ever breaks down I will consider the T1.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
It looks good, but I am a bit worried about the flashes. I have a headache just from watching the review . Hopefully I'll get used to them...

Well you have a sony 505 which has the page refreshs. So you should already be used to them. When kobo started the whole every 6 page refresh a few months ago it was a cool concept. But every device that does it gets severe ghosting. I have seen the ghosting and it sucks. I will take the black flashs any day of the week over the ghosting.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-05-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote