Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Stephen Dedalus
Stephen Dedalus began at the beginning.

Device: Shift3 Lookbook
Error Communicating with Device

Hello,

I had been using Calibre with my Shift 3 Lookbook with no problems. I was really enjoying the software. Now, I can't plug my device in without getting this error:

[Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 62, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 278, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 97, in get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 85, in _update_driveinfo_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre'

I tried reinstalling Calibre and updating to 0.7.59 and I reset my device to factory settings. Still same result. Can anyone make any fix suggestions? I'm not especially tech savvy.

Please help!
Stephen Dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Stephen Dedalus

I'm so terrible at computer. :-(

The [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'H:\\.driveinfo.calibre' seems to refer to the main memory on the device. I tried to erase the driveinfo.calibre drive, but that did nothing. Is there anything you can suggest for a computer illiterate? I am having difficulty understanding some of the FAQ points.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reformat H:\ as a FAT32 filesystem. You can do this by right clicking it in windows explorer and selecting format or properties or something like that.

Be aware that doing so means you will lose everything in H:\
Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Stephen Dedalus

I am being told that "Windows was unable to complete the format." Am I doing something wrong?
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Stephen Dedalus

Follow up: I retried the reformat through "Computer Management" and again was told that the format was unsuccessful. ??
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hard to say. Your device may be in read only mode which is preventing the format. Instead of formatting you can delete everything off H;| instead.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Stephen Dedalus

So just manually erase the folders, etc?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Stephen Dedalus

I can't even do that. I get a warning box reporting that it cannot be removed: "Can't find the specified file."
Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You have something weird going on with your device. You should contact its manufacturer/look for a "full reset" or reformat option somewhere in the device menus.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Try a different USB port or safe mode.

or

TRy right clicking on each folder on the H: drive in my computer and select properties.
This should tell you if any or all files are read only
If read only is checked or colored click in little box till it is clear. Click apply.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Stephen Dedalus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Try a different USB port or safe mode.

or

TRy right clicking on each folder on the H: drive in my computer and select properties.
This should tell you if any or all files are read only
If read only is checked or colored click in little box till it is clear. Click apply.
Thank you all for these replies.

I tried safe mode and plugged into a different USB, two different computers actually, with no luck.

I checked the properties to find that the folders were indeed switched to "read only," but I get an error when I try to make a change. I am told that the "parameter is incorrect" or "Data Error: cyclic redundancy check."

I'm beginning to suspect that the device is defective. I've never dealt with such a fussy little POS.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
"Data Error: cyclic redundancy check."
Eeek!! usually indicates a defective memory location
Try running something like chkdsk/f if you are still wanting to fix it.
Best advice is return it and buy a discounted or a 2nd hand sony from craigslist.
Good luck and post on what happens
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dedalus View Post
Thank you all for these replies.

I tried safe mode and plugged into a different USB, two different computers actually, with no luck.

I checked the properties to find that the folders were indeed switched to "read only," but I get an error when I try to make a change. I am told that the "parameter is incorrect" or "Data Error: cyclic redundancy check."

I'm beginning to suspect that the device is defective. I've never dealt with such a fussy little POS.
You can't repair a Disk that is being used bu another Windows Program.
Calibre must be fully shut down, along with any windows explorer (exclude the drive from your Anti-Virus) window looking inside that drive (My computer is not inside)

Bad CRC says file system damage It could be flash memory failure
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
Stephen Dedalus

Ugh.

I can still see the books I put on the device and use it normally...I just can't add/delete/reset. Does it make it more or less likely that I have a serious device failure given that I can still use the ereader as it is?

I am so bummed!