Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #61
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Shame on you, bad person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hey record companies, wanna know what I did when I was a kid? I'd buy the latest Beatles' 45 and then take it over to a friend's house and play it on his record player, not mine.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok... how about a post that is NOT about copyright issues.

Has anyone tried to access their Cloud Drive from their Kindle's browser and d/l an ebook? It might be a good way to access eBooks that I have bought and/or downloaded from places other than the Kindle store.

I have been saying having the ability to add personal documents to my Kindle cloud "archive" (as they call it now) would be something I would quite like and would even pay extra for.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #63
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
So Amazon learned that Google or Apple were going to beat them to market, and they jumped out first, but unlicensed?
Google announced their music service about a year ago, but they're still trying to get the licenses in place. I guess it depends on how you define "first".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Google announced their music service about a year ago, but they're still trying to get the licenses in place. I guess it depends on how you define "first".
I don't really understand the comparison. Cloud drive is NOT a music service. A music service gives you access to music that you don't own. Cloud drive just gives you a place to store your own music and a way to play it from that storage location.

I think if this goes to court or even mediation Amazon is going to win. The problem is, it could take years. Perhaps the music industry should spend more time making music easy to buy and access rather than the opposite.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #65
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Licensing requirements for what is essentially a private hosting services is nonsense. However, it hasn't stopped media moguls to collect a piracy tax on blank media (blank CDs, flash memory, even hard drives) in some countries. It is expected that they will attempt to get some money from Amazon Cloud service as well and I wouldn't be so sure that Amazon can shrug it all off. That's probably why they have opened this service to US customers only.

Last edited by karunaji; 03-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't really understand the comparison. Cloud drive is NOT a music service. A music service gives you access to music that you don't own. Cloud drive just gives you a place to store your own music and a way to play it from that storage location.

I think if this goes to court or even mediation Amazon is going to win. The problem is, it could take years. Perhaps the music industry should spend more time making music easy to buy and access rather than the opposite.

BOb
Agreed. This is nothing more than network storage the way I'm reading it. Like Dropbox.

Possibly with apps that can access it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Agreed. This is nothing more than network storage the way I'm reading it. Like Dropbox.

Possibly with apps that can access it.
Precisely. Where the heck licensing comes into it I entirely fail to see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Do you have any links from a news site, Kenny?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #69
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
And Apple activated this feature with their iDisk last year, including the ability to playback music you have stored there, and I don't believe they have any special licensing from the music industry (it isn't even connected to iTunes)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #70
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another interesting wrinkle in this story:

Quote:
A digital music distributor who sells music through Amazon, for instance, tells me his company’s contract only allows Amazon to deliver buyers a “permanent download”–defined as a copy of an MP3–to a “local storage device.”
So basically you can save any music to the Amazon cloud *except* the music you bought at Amazon?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you have any links from a news site, Kenny?
That just popped up in Google News....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03...n_cloud_drive/

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-...music-industry

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...834498824.html

Not sure if those help or not...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks .
Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #73
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Nifty concept, but I'll stick with dropbox and my own personal server space.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #74
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Love Dropbox. I actually have iDisk, SugarSync, and Box.net, but Dropbox is just the easiest, most convenient system for me, by far.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'll stick with my MP3 player and mSD cards.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote