Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Dzoni
Dzoni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Change name of autogenerated "Table of Contents"

I have an XHTML book I put together, and I've converted it to MOBI using Calibre. It all works exactly the way I want it to, except that I'd like to call "Table of Contents" something other than "Table of Contents".

Can this be done in Calibre? Can it be done at all, or is it a limitation on the MOBI format?

For conversion, I autogenerate the TOC based on the h1 tags, and it works nicely. Under the "MOBI output" tab, I type in a name under "Title for Table of Contents", but it doesn't seem to transfer to the MOBI file.

Any thoughts on how to do this?
Dzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under MOBI Output settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Dzoni - are you talking about the text used for the link to the Table of Contents in the Kindle's "Go To..." menu, or the title of actual Table of Contents page added to the book by Calibre?
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look under MOBI Output settings.
I'm pretty sure that's what he said he is doing.

Now, why it isn't working for him, I couldn't begin to say.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzoni View Post
For conversion, I autogenerate the TOC based on the h1 tags, and it works nicely. Under the "MOBI output" tab, I type in a name under "Title for Table of Contents", but it doesn't seem to transfer to the MOBI file.

Any thoughts on how to do this?
Yeah, I just went and confirmed with one of my ebooks. You're doing the right thing and it should title the TOC whatever you type into that field. It worked just fine when I tried it. I couldn't begin to tell you why it isn't working for you.

You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling and trying again.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Dzoni

Kovid, I've already done that, as stated in the original post. No luck.

Donna, I meant the heading that is displayed when you navigate to the Table of Contents, not the Kindle's "go to Table of Contents".

Byron, that's exactly it. What I'll try before reinstalling Calibre is start making the ebook from scratch, i.e. delete the files in Calibre and start over.

I'll report back one way or the other.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
Dzoni

OK, just restarting the project seems to have done the job! Apologies for making a fuss over nothing. Either way, it's really nice to see such good response from an online community. Thanks, guys.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Yayyy!
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote