Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
kelchm
kelchm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
What is your theory on creating a personal eBook library?

I'm new to the electronic reading scene, just got a Sony Reader this past friday. I've been in the process of digitizing my music collection and my DVD collection, so I figured why not digitize my books as well?

So, heres the real problem. I've figured out the best means of archiving my CDs [FLAC + CUE], and I've been quite happy ripping my DVDs in x264... BUT, what is the best way to store ebooks? In a perfect world, I'd be able to store them in a completly open format [html?], covert and dump them onto whatever reader I am using at the time without having to worry too much with formating.

So, have any of you guys came up with any good ideas on developing an ebook library that works well with our existign readers, but will also allow relatively easy path of conversion, etc for use with future formats/readers?
kelchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You are well on your way toward your goal. You already embrace open standards. (Although I tend to favor Monkey Audio (APE) over FLAC.)

HTML is the choice ebook format for many people. I just checked and many of the ebooks I have are in RTF format. Project Gutenberg (the source of many of my files) favors TXT and HTML. As you have noted, the key is to keep the ebook in a format that is not device dependent and can be read by many different programs both now and in the future. Locked formats like Sony's LRF or Microsoft's DOC do not offer this protection.

Depending on where you live your rights to digitize your books will vary. In the US we have a "fair use" policy that grants me the ability to digitize a work; but, no rights to distribute that copy. I understand that in the UK they are forbidden from even digitizing the books that they own a physical copy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Hope this isn't a dumb question:

I've seen the format LRF mentioned quite a bit. Some members claim that it is superior to RTF, and files seem convertible (at least one way, RTF to LRF).

Is LRF open source, or is it simply a variant of SONY-specific file format?

google and wikipedia were none too helpful with this question
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not a dumb question Cthulhu. LRF is a Sony specific format. Many of us feel it is superior to RTF on the Sony Reader because it supports graphics, Table of Contents, and hyper links (like footnotes.) It is not a format for archiving ebooks to be read on other devices or future devices.

There is a program called ABC Amber Sony Converter that will convert LRF to other formats such as RTF but it does not export graphics or retain format.

There are many excellent tools to create LRF files from multiple sources. The two best IMHO are (1) the package libprs500 by kovidgoyal and (2) the program BookDesigner by vvv. Check out the conversion page in the MobileRead Wiki (the link to the Wiki is at the top of this page.)
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LRF is a good reading format, but it's not a good archival format, because it is device-specific. I'd suggest storing books - if you have the choice - in a format such as HTML or RTF. Both of these can be easily converted to pretty much any device-specific format desired.

LRF is the best reading format for the Sony Reader, no doubt about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelchm View Post
I'm new to the electronic reading scene, just got a Sony Reader this past friday. I've been in the process of digitizing my music collection and my DVD collection, so I figured why not digitize my books as well?

So, heres the real problem. I've figured out the best means of archiving my CDs [FLAC + CUE], and I've been quite happy ripping my DVDs in x264... BUT, what is the best way to store ebooks? In a perfect world, I'd be able to store them in a completly open format [html?], covert and dump them onto whatever reader I am using at the time without having to worry too much with formating.

So, have any of you guys came up with any good ideas on developing an ebook library that works well with our existign readers, but will also allow relatively easy path of conversion, etc for use with future formats/readers?
If you are able to use Book Designer you can use it to convert your Books into LRF and other formats such as MobiPocket, MS Reader, Fictionbook eReader. You would archive off the HTML0 files from Book Designer. Or if you use HTML2LRF you'll have your source as HTML.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
my theory is to bookmark the link on del.icio.us using eBookmark on del.icio.us feature on DigitalReading.net

Only store and convert those books that I actually read.

BBeB (.lrf) is a dead format. You may want to use it for convenience, but don't build an archive in it IMO
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer

I have seen too many Internet sites die over the years. If there is anything on a web site that I want to keep I download it. Originally I used the site capture tools in Adobe Acrobat and produced PDFs of the web sites. Today I capture the HTML if possible. Bookmarking is great for dynamic content, for reference it is not the best.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic View Post
BBeB (.lrf) is a dead format. You may want to use it for convenience, but don't build an archive in it IMO
I agree. I guess that the best way to store an eBook is actually XHTML + semantic information (<chapter>, <part> etc...). Most formats are now based on XHTML and you can automatically transfort the semantic tags into presentation elements. Oh and a good way to store metadata too !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am doing is keeping my books in the source format (HTML or HTML0) and also LRF. SoI have the source files and the binary files. And if someday I need a different format say MobiPocket or eReader or LIT, I can use Book Designer to do the work for me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i've got more books for this sony than i ever had for my palm and better books too

i keep most stuff in rtf, great interchange
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote