Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Post Japan: Mobile phones driving market growth for e-books

From today's morning edition of the Nikkei Business Daily (subscription required):

Quote:
Mobile Phones Driving Market Growth For Electronic Books

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The size of the domestic market for electronic books grew to 18 billion yen in fiscal 2006, double the previous year's tally, according to research conducted by IT-related publisher Impress R&D.

The expansion was led by a rapid surge in the distribution of electronic comics for mobile phones. Electronic books on mobile phones are convenient for whiling away some spare time, such as when traveling, and hence are attracting a growing number of users, particularly young people.

The value of electronic books for mobile phones distributed in fiscal 2006 jumped to 11 billion yen, 2.4 times the level posted the prior year. Sales of electronic books for personal computers rose 50% to 7 billion yen.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone on these forums seen these "electronic comics" the article mentions? Being a fan of Sequential Art myself, I'm interested in how comics and graphic novels are being formatted for the smartphones' small screens, the quality, and what people have indicated they do and do not like.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's some links
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/mobile/ar...6/news035.html
http://www.nttsolmare.com/comic_cmoa...review&tid=221
Click here for more.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very nice! I wonder if that sort of thing will ever catch on in the U.S. market? I'd even consider brushing off my old pens to give it a shot!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Manga is a very fast-growing genre in the US right now, especially among teens (and they usually have cell phones capable of supporting the graphics, too). I'd say it's time to get your pens out -- or invest in a Wacom tablet.

I think it's very interesting that at least half of the examples on those pages were "shoujo" type manga. It suggests that the female demographic for ebook manga is at least as strong as the male audience. (No surprise, really, I just think it's interesting, as this audience often gets overlooked in the US.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Maybe someone should design an ebook reader dedicated in reading ebooks
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I think it's very interesting that at least half of the examples on those pages were "shoujo" type manga. It suggests that the female demographic for ebook manga is at least as strong as the male audience. (No surprise, really, I just think it's interesting, as this audience often gets overlooked in the US.)
I'm not surprised about that... in the U.S., romance readers (primarily female) are the fastest-growing e-book segment according to various sources. So in that way, we're mirroring Japan (or Japan is mirroring us) in the growing interest in romance e-material. (I've gotta try my hand at that one of these days...)

Of course, the first one I looked at was Lupin...
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hey, shoujo isn't all romance.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I can see this starting in the US as something like the "Daily Dilbert" That would get a lot of traction very fast.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Hey, shoujo isn't all romance.
Forgive a poor Gaijin who isn't up on his Japanese terminology...
Old 06-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
emuty
emuty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2,iLiad
Hello.

The screen of the Mobil telephone is small(240x400dot). But it is clear screen.
It is popular recently to do play of a console game in Mobil telephone.

...But, I want to still read the book with paper or iLead. :-(

# (sample) It is a console game of the Mobile phone
http://motto.product.co.jp/
# D902i(Mobile phone) screen capture
http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/26507.html
emuty is offline   Reply With Quote