Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Marvin is still my eReader of choice. However, I definitely like the idea of one eReader for every format that I read. tiReader Pro can read:

EPUB, PDF, MOBI, AZW, CBR, CBZ, DOC, TXT

If/when the page turn animation becomes optional, tiReader might become my reader of choice. It meets my needs pertaining to setup, font and formatting options.

I also like the way it handles page numbering, but keep that a secret!
And will you like that it ignores some of the CSS and gives you mo way to set some things in CSS the way you want?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #32
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And will you like that it ignores some of the CSS and gives you mo way to set some things in CSS the way you want?
I agree that there should be more range available in the Line Spacing and Margin Width settings, including "zero".

A section break character that couldn't be centered would bug me. In fact, I don't like seeing any section break characters and usually edit them out with a quick find/replace in Sigil. The break itself is okay, but seeing #### is annoying.

I "pleasure read" and don't have too many specific requirements. If I can get an easy to read font, colors that reduce eye-strain, and can eliminate some extraneous stylistic gimmicks like dropcaps, I'm a happy reader.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #33
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
I will save myself any frustration and stick with Marvin for now.
I loaded three books into tiReader that displayed correctly in Marvin. One of the books in tiReader did not center the chapter headings, they were aligned left.

So, I will follow your lead and also avoid frustration and stick with Marvin.

Thank you Kaysclie and JSWolf ...

Marty
Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #34
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
I loaded three books into tiReader that displayed correctly in Marvin. One of the books in tiReader did not center the chapter headings, they were aligned left.

So, I will follow your lead and also avoid frustration and stick with Marvin.

Thank you Kaysclie and JSWolf ...

Marty
Marvin certainly has its own load of EPUB rendering bugs reported and remained unresolved for almost a year by now. That's one of the reasons I've switched to another app, MapleRead, and happily stick with it.

For example, see Marvin 3 EPUB rendering bugs unresolved, and this post by JSWolf.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #35
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Marvin certainly has its own load of EPUB rendering bugs reported and remained unresolved for almost a year by now. That's one of the reasons I've switched to another app, MapleRead, and happily stick with it.

For example, see Marvin 3 EPUB rendering bugs unresolved, and this post by JSWolf.
cedhax,

Thanks for the info.

Do any MapleRead versions show current page number in book as well as current page number in chapter?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MapleRead also has it's share of override issues.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #37
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
MapleRead also has it's share of override issues.
- EPUB specifications have evolved over time; books written with different "rules" are floating around on the internet.
- It is difficult to support all the combinations of hardware devices and software applications.
- People who read books are a diverse group with different "wants and needs".
- Some style sheets are truly bizarre!

So ...there will always be some "warts"!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
- EPUB specifications have evolved over time; books written with different "rules" are floating around on the internet.
- It is difficult to support all the combinations of hardware devices and software applications.
- People who read books are a diverse group with different "wants and needs".
- Some style sheets are truly bizarre!

So ...there will always be some "warts"!
Yes, there will be warts, but a reading app should allow the overrides to be turned off individually and when any override is off, the CSS should be followed and any CSS not part of the overrides should also be followed.

A common issue is text indents of 0 not being respected. So if you have an override for indents, it's all or nothing.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #39
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
...a reading app should allow the overrides to be turned off individually and when any override is off, the CSS should be followed and any CSS not part of the overrides should also be followed...
Nicely put, and for me it would be fine about 90% of the time. However, some times I wish that "any CSS not part of the overrides" would not be followed.

I hate distractions when I read. To me, dropcaps, section breaks with curlicues, humongous fonts for the first line in each chapter, etc. are distractions. Yes, the author and/or publisher wanted them, but it's my nickel!

Fortunately, calibre or Sigil can help me modify the CSS and purge most of the "stuff" I'm griping about.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Fortunately, calibre or Sigil can help me modify the CSS and purge most of the "stuff" I'm griping about.
So you take your eBook and make your CSS changes to fit your style and then the reading app doesn't respect the CSS or overrides, what then?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #41
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
So you take your eBook and make your CSS changes to fit your style and then the reading app doesn't respect the CSS or overrides, what then?
My CSS changes usually involve removing the stylistic elements I mentioned previously.

However, if I wanted to add or change something and the reading app did not respect the CSS or if it was overridden, the "what then" would be frustration and renewed determination to find a better app! You are indeed correct on this point.

It's a new month ... I'm keeping a positive attitude! The 8" of snow we had this weekend has melted.