Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
It isn't as obvious on the UK site.
I found it very obvious. I just went to the PW3 listing and selected without special offers and the price was raised £10 more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #17
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I found it very obvious. I just went to the PW3 listing and selected without special offers and the price was raised £10 more.
Well, I'm going to stop replying to individuals who tell me this, since I have said that I'm not seeing that option.

If someone really needs it I could get a screenshot - but probably people just need to read the thread before repeating what others have previously repeated.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #18
mand
Zealot

Quote:
If someone really needs it I could get a screenshot - but probably people just need to read the thread before repeating what others have previously repeated.
Actually I did do the screenshot. Needed to reassure myself yet again that it isn't me gone mad. I have this time noticed "Select colour and accessories after adding to basket" - but to me, "colour" isn't ads and "accessories" isn't ads. As I said, I'd expect the choices to show in the same way as for colour and size when buying clothes, but they don't. I took the snip down to the beginning of the first poster-style descriptive bit, showing that I'm including all the details that are given. If any of you find it "very obvious "on this screenshot, then I will agree that I am being dim.

Given that you used to see (well - I used to see) "with" and "without" listed in search results, when that stopped I thought the non-ads ones had been stopped.

It is good to know that you can get them removed even after purchase, which you aren't told (well - I'm not told) until after going through to configure.

I cannot be the only person in existence who gets this version of the Amazon page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon page for kindle WITH.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	145720  

Last edited by mand; 01-21-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: exasperation
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
mand
Zealot

Just noticed this again - when I click through the link you give, I'm not getting the same view as your screenshot shows, but the one without options that is my norm. I wonder if it has something to do with AdBlocker? Can't see why it would, personally. (I'm still getting the options as I'd expect for other things, eg: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LADIES-HOODE...&keywords=coat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The Kindles are still sold with and without special offers on Amazon.co.uk? The only one where there is no mention of ads is the Voyage (and I presume it is sold without any ads as standard). Even the Fire tablets are sold with and without ads, although you don't see those options until the add to basket and configure button is clicked.

Basic Kindle - £59.99 is the default price 'With Special Offers', or £69.99 'Without Special Offers'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KDRUCJY/

Just be aware that there is a possibility the one you have spotted may well be with ads and you'll have no way of knowing until you buy it, and then may have to pay £10 to have them removed by Amazon. Also, there is a risk to buying second hand, if the Kindle has been lost or stolen, it could be blacklisted, and then when you go to register it, you won't be able to do so.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Just noticed this again - when I click through the link you give, I'm not getting the same view as your screenshot shows, but the one without options that is my norm. I wonder if it has something to do with AdBlocker? Can't see why it would, personally. (I'm still getting the options as I'd expect for other things, eg: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LADIES-HOODE...&keywords=coat)
When I click on that link using Firefox, I don't see the choices either, until I click on the "Configure and Add to Basket" button. If I use Internet Explorer, however, I do see the choices, and there is also a regular "Add to Basket" button. What browser are you using?

Edit to add: When I look at it using Chrome it looks the same as if I'm using Firefox, for what it's worth

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
When I click on that link using Firefox, I don't see the choices either, until I click on the "Configure and Add to Basket" button. If I use Internet Explorer, however, I do see the choices, and there is also a regular "Add to Basket" button. What browser are you using?

Edit to add: When I look at it using Chrome it looks the same as if I'm using Firefox, for what it's worth

Shari
I'm using Firefox, too, and I do see the Ads/No Ads choices . Very odd!

A random thought: could this have anything to do with 1-click settings, I wonder? I notice on mand's screenshot, 1-click buying is not enabled. I do have it enabled.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-21-2016 at 10:01 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Its not the 1-click setting (I don't have it enabled) but I think its related to an adblocker/privacy tool. I have adblocker running but perhaps mand is using a different one (Ghostery?), because I can replicate the page mand is seeing by browsing incognito.

If you are not deliberately browsing privately, then its some setting in a privacy/adblocker extension on your browser that is causing it. If you temporarily disable it, I bet you'll see the 'Special Offer' boxes that we can see.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Its not the 1-click setting (I don't have it enabled) but I think its related to an adblocker/privacy tool. I have adblocker running but perhaps mand is using a different one (Ghostery?), because I can replicate the page mand is seeing by browsing incognito.

If you are not deliberately browsing privately, then its some setting in a privacy/adblocker extension on your browser that is causing it. If you temporarily disable it, I bet you'll see the 'Special Offer' boxes that we can see.
I too get the page mand is seeing if I browse in incognito, but not in "regular" mode (where I run adblock & ghostery).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Never heard of CeX! How do they manage prices like this, with a 24 month warranty - how can they make that work as a business model? Hm.

ETA: Found loads of online reviews. Don't like the look of them if the device had any kind of fault.
CeX are a "Cash for your stuff" shop chain, they quote the prices they pay and give.

I though it was 12 month warranty. My take is that if you are buying what you already have you can easily spot and demonstrate most malfunctions.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
mand
Zealot

Now I'm really intrigued! Enough to waste quite a bit of time (my laptop is SO slow that opening a browser needs a better justification than curiosity, but hey, I'm a rebel).
  • I run Adblock in Chrome - disabling it makes no difference, still can't see the with/without options.
  • I run Adblock Plus in Firefox - again, disabling it makes no difference.
  • I never use Internet Explorer, and no extensions running - and the options still don't show.
  • Ditto in Opera, no extensions as I don't use it - and the options DO show.
  • I never browse incognito.
  • In CCleaner, my settings for all these browsers are the same (or nearest equivalent).
  • In Avast Free Antivirus, it would take me too long to fathom out all the possibilities (I need to look up most of its options to know what they are), but I don't think it has any settings that could do this.

Makes me wonder what else I've been missing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I notice on mand's screenshot, 1-click buying is not enabled. I do have it enabled.
I do have 1-Click enabled (only because you can't buy kindle ebooks otherwise) - no idea why it appeared not! (The screenshot was taken in Chrome.) - Ah, maybe I wasn't logged in, though that's odd too as I never log out
Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
CeX are a "Cash for your stuff" shop chain, they quote the prices they pay and give.

I though it was 12 month warranty. My take is that if you are buying what you already have you can easily spot and demonstrate most malfunctions.
Some people do seem to have an ok experience with CeX, but many don't - a couple of threads I found, and others on the same forum.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5375088
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=1034039
I'd have to do things online as I haven't got one local, and wouldn't dream of it as the success rate (for us punters) doesn't look high and it's unlikely to be trouble-free and quick. I can't find the same thread now, but there was one about underestimating value when you're selling to them - loads of people joined in, and only one or two saying they'd had no problems. As for buying, I saw some shocking stories about having to chase and chase and chase, no matter how straightforward the complaint (eg wrong item sent), worse online but also bad in the shops. And you can't contact them except by email.

At least with eBay you are protected against fraud and fault, even if the seller turns out to be a piece of poo.

Tags
ads, kindle, special offers