Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I have a depressing suspicion that the 2x5.5" clamshell 'TabletS2' might be their replacement for the current line of pocketable readers, but I really hope I'm wrong.
Putting an eink reader in your pocket is just looking for the screen to be damaged (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #32
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I stopped by a Sony store yesterday to see if there were any readers in stock. There were a few but they are all still full price. I asked the salesman why the price was still so high when everyone knows that Sony was ditching the line.

His comment? That the readers were worth the money and that the new line would be the tablet only.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #33
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I stopped by a Sony store yesterday to see if there were any readers in stock. There were a few but they are all still full price. I asked the salesman why the price was still so high when everyone knows that Sony was ditching the line.

His comment? That the readers were worth the money and that the new line would be the tablet only.
I wouldn't go by the word of a salesman from a company store. They're often so inaccurate. I mean, how many rumors from Apple store employees are proven to be false? Also given the info in regards to the PRS-T1 that've leaked out, it doesnt seem to be they're done with eInk readers. Granted you could argue the leaked info is still rumor and can be wrong. I still place value over that, since it came from FCC listing, and also from a reputable retailer expected to sell them that accidentally put it's listing online early.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #34
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I totally agree with you. It's shameful that they have such poorly educated employees. I would think that - considering the new line is rumors - they would say something like "coming soon" or "stand by" not "it's DOA."
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #35
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I totally agree with you. It's shameful that they have such poorly educated employees. I would think that - considering the new line is rumors - they would say something like "coming soon" or "stand by" not "it's DOA."
Problem is, many employees at stores like that have people come to them as if they've got some sort of elevated status, and many feel the need to try and live up to it and pass on any rumors they have heard or even make things up. For the company at large, they either need to keep things secret in advance by letting few know, or give info to all their employees even down to sales reps, and hope it doesn't leak.

The only info has been given out officially so far has been on the tablets, and not the readers, so given that you're asking about the line being clearanced and the employee felt that urge and went off the only info he had. Not good, but at the same time, somewhat human nature.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #36
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

True...very true.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
I asked the salesman why the price was still so high when everyone knows that Sony was ditching the line.
You asked a retail salesperson to explain corporate pricing strategy? He probably hasnt even heard of the T1
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #38
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

I guess I'm a strange woman. When I have worked retail I made sure to know as much about my product as possible. If there was no knowledge available I would admit that "I don't know." I guess that's too much to expect in these days. I was raised to have pride in what you do, no matter what it was.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Did you tell him about the T1?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #40
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

I told him that I'd already seen the new line and that it was on sale out of the country. His response was to repeat what he'd already said.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I told him that I'd already seen the new line and that it was on sale out of the country. His response was to repeat what he'd already said.
I would have asked a different sales person.

Actually, bols.com took down the listing for the T1. Seems it was put up too soon. So it's not yet available for sale.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #42
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

No need to ask someone else. They just lost a sale.

This particular Sony store really needs to work on it's employee situation. It's is directly beside an Apple store and Apple is killing them.

Walk in to the Sony store and it's like a graveyard. There's hardly ever any customers, even at the 3D TV display. Ask an employee something and you might as well have cursed at them. Most of them are clueless (one guy told me that all the Readers only turn backwards like reading the Koran) and the rest have attitudes. Except the ones that are clueless with attitudes. Every time I go to buy a Sony product they talk me out of it, lol. I was going to buy my husband a pair of blutooth headphones to go with his iThings. The Sony rep told me that Sony specifically makes things incompatible for any Apple product. He also said that the inventor of the iPod came to Sony first but they turned him down as a hack. The guy supposedly then went to Apple. I told him never to tell those stories again because it made Sony look like fools.

Walk in to (shoot, walk beside) the Apple store and you could almost swear they were offering free drinks, 1/2 off cover for ladies and there's a DJ spinning somewhere in the background. Add to that the fact that most Apple employees at least know how to pretend they know what they're talking about....
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #43
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
So knowing this about the staff of the store you walked in and question them on pricing of current product based on an unannounced product that you saw mentioned on a internet forum because of an "unintentional" leak on a foreign website. yet you seem amazed the person didnt know the rationale behind the corporate pricing strategy.

Store employees are only informed about what they have to sell now and maybe what is new coming to the stores in the next week-month.

Try this- Go in to the Apple store and ask them why the iPhone 4 isnt on sale when you have just read the WSJ article saying the iPhone 5 will be out on Oct. 7

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 08-30-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #44
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
The Sony rep told me that Sony specifically makes things incompatible for any Apple product. He also said that the inventor of the iPod came to Sony first but they turned him down as a hack. The guy supposedly then went to Apple. I told him never to tell those stories again because it made Sony look like fools.
I hope you know that is all 100% BS. Jon Ives Worked at Apple years before the iPod, never approached Sony. Bluetooth audio devices, Sony or Otherwise, will work on any bluetooth device (including iPhones). Sony does not attempt to make things incompatible.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #45
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
So knowing this about the staff of the store you walked in and question them on pricing of current product based on an unannounced product that you saw mentioned on a internet forum because of an "unintentional" leak on a foreign website. yet you seem amazed the person didnt know the rationale behind the corporate pricing strategy.

Store employees are only informed about what they have to sell now and maybe what is new coming to the stores in the next week-month.

Try this- Go in to the Apple store and ask them why the iPhone 4 isnt on sale when you have just read the WSJ article saying the iPhone 5 will be out on Oct. 7
Cute snarkiness but not appreciated.

No, I was not "amazed"
Quote:
the person didnt know the rationale behind the corporate pricing strategy.
I asked them WHY. That's a fairly simple question and can be answered with a simple "I don't know."

Tags
blog, kindle, sony