Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #241
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I'd love to but need somebody on the inside to give me permission.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #242
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
Quote:
Surely no "Jewish Bible" will contain the New Testament at all.

when people talk about the "Jewish Bible" they are normally referring to the "tanakh".
Completely depends on your viewpoint. Jesus is the Messiah so the Brit Chadashah (NT) is just as much part of the Bible as is the Tanakh (OT). Hence the word "complete" in the Complete Jewish Bible. Of course there is always the discussion of translation issues and I have recently learned that this version keeps the original Hebrew names in the NT and seems to be a more accurate translation throughout. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an ebook anywhere. Amazon only sells it to overseas customers so maybe I'll change my country affiliation and see what happens.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_gene View Post
Completely depends on your viewpoint. Jesus is the Messiah so the Brit Chadashah (NT) is just as much part of the Bible as is the Tanakh (OT).
That is the Christian belief, not the Jewish one. Hence my statement that a Jewish Bible (as opposed to a Christian one) does not contain the New Testament.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #244
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
not the Jewish one.
The adjective "Jewish" conflates religious and ethnic concepts. There are lots of Jews who are atheists, agnostic, or Christian and have nothing to do with Judaism. There are even Jewish neo-Nazis.

Last edited by osnova; 12-26-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #245
mean_gene
Enthusiast

Quote:
That is the Christian belief, not the Jewish one
So the title makes it sound like it's for Jews...but the reality is, regardless of whether you are a Jew, Christian, Messianic Jew, or non-believer...it's probably best to get as close to the original translation as possible.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #246
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sign up for the Jewish Publication Society's newsletter and you can get a free ebook of their 1917 edition
The above is a revision of the King James version by early twentieth century American Jewish scholars.

The standard modern Jewish translation is highly readable despite being quite literal, with unobtrusive footnotes showing alternative possible meanings. Unfortunately, it is not free:

http://www.amazon.com/Tanakh-Scriptu...3412569&sr=1-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_gene View Post
Jesus is the Messiah so the Brit Chadashah (NT) is just as much part of the Bible as is the Tanakh (OT).
I know your sect has its own translation. Just as a factual statement not meant to make a value judgment, the great majority of English speaking self-identified practicing Jews would use the translations WT Sharpe and I mentioned above.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-26-2010 at 09:16 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #247
mean_gene
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sign up for the Jewish Publication Society's newsletter and you can get a free ebook of their 1917 edition
Quote:
the great majority of English speaking self-identified practicing Jews would use the translations WT Sharpe and I mentioned above.
I actually pulled this down earlier and it's great. I'm just looking for something that's combined together...but this will work until I get my hands (er Kindle) around the other one.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #248
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The above is a revision of the King James version by early twentieth century American Jewish scholars.
Actually, it's based on the American Standard of 1901, which itself is largely based on the KJV.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #249
Marcus_P_Hagen
Marcus_P_Hagen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd gen. [WiFi, 3G]
I've found this thread to be incredibly helpful. I've purchased OSNOVA's NET and WEB Bibles, am looking at some of the other study helps, and have downloaded a sample of the modern Jewish translation from Amazon that SteveEisenberg listed. Thanks to all of the contributors for a very useful discussion.

Marcus
Marcus_P_Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 AM   #250
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

We are all glad to help here.

Welcome to mobileread, Marcus!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #251
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Zondervan NIV

Zondervan just released a new version of the NIV on Amazon for it's Kindle here:

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-NIV...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I just downloaded the sample. It uses a better TOC to locate chapters but not Osnova's method of DVJ nor an equivalent means of jumping direct to a verse.

I purchased it since its used all the time in my Church. The TOC does include a 2 or 3 letter abbreviation for each book indicating that their next version may have DVJ either from Osnova or someone else.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-30-2010 at 10:40 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #252
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Two pieces of news:

1. Several people have asked me to publish a KJV Bible with Apocrypha and other materials that were included by the Translators in 1611. I take such requests to heart.

Therefore, the new edition of the KJV Bible that has just appeared on Amazon adds to the existing OSNOVA KJV Bible: (i) the Dedication to King James I; (ii) Translators’ Preface; (iii) Apocrypha (books of the Greek Septuagint, which the Protestants do not consider to be part of the Canon); and (iv) the preface by John Witherspoon to the 1791 Isaac Collins’ Bible published in America.

Other than the additional text, there is no other differences from the the existing OSNOVA KJV Bible.

2. I have also recently published a Kindle edition of the translation of the Bible into English made by Robert Young (1822-1888), which was first published in 1862 (a revised edition appeared in 1888). As the name implies, the Literal Translation is a strictly literal translation of the original Hebrew and Greek texts.

Last edited by osnova; 01-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #253
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Two pieces of news:

Several people have asked me to publish a KJV Bible with Apocrypha and other materials that were included by the Translators in 1611. I take such requests to heart.

Therefore, the new edition of the KJV Bible that has just appeared on Amazon adds to the existing OSNOVA KJV Bible: (i) the Dedication to King James I; (ii) Translators’ Preface; (iii) Apocrypha (books of the Greek Septuagint, which the Protestants do not consider to be part of the Canon); and (iv) the preface by John Witherspoon to the 1791 Isaac Collins’ Bible published in America.

Other than the additional text, there is no other differences from the the existing OSNOVA KJV Bible.

2. I have also recently published a Kindle edition of the translation of the Bible into English made by Robert Young (1822-1888), which was first published in 1862 (a revised edition appeared in 1888). As the name implies, the Literal Translation is a strictly literal translation of the original Hebrew and Greek texts.
Sorry to hijack, but I've been out of the loop for a little while. Last I knew, there were 2 types of Bible, KJ and New, but what is it now? After reading this thread, there are so many different ones! How do I know which one I want?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #254
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Your new edition can't be got from Amazon UK.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #255
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

It's such a huge topic that I am not sure that we will be able to cover it to your satisfaction. In short, KJV is an old traditional Protestant translation with thee, thou, etc. (I will not start the textual debate here because it is quite divisive); Douay-Rheims is similar to KJV in language but it is a Catholic translation (was translated from Latin Vulgate); ASV is a 1901 revision of KJV, NET Bible is a modern translation with 60,000 notes that explain translation decisions. There are other public domain translations that are available from osnova.com.

Non-OSNOVA publication would include: New King James (exactly what the name suggests, a modernized KJV), NASB, which is based on ASV (it has two versions, one closer to the original Hebrew, Greek to the point that its English is sometimes described as wooden, the newer has more flowing English). The most popular modern translation is NIV (a new version of NIV has just become available for the Kindle). ESV is also popular with protestants. There is NAB for Catholics (but I don't think it is available for the Kindle yet).