Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #841
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I must have a really dodgy Kindle 3. I tried to use the font file as a simple update (root of the kindle etc etc), and now I cant get into my settings area - I want to do a factory reset and just have the screensavers and forget about the font. But I cant even get to the settings page. Is there any way to force a factory reset. I have done two hard restarts using the sleep button. Everything else works but cannot get to the settings pages. Sigh.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #842
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I must have a really dodgy Kindle 3. I tried to use the font file as a simple update (root of the kindle etc etc), and now I cant get into my settings area - I want to do a factory reset and just have the screensavers and forget about the font. But I cant even get to the settings page. Is there any way to force a factory reset. I have done two hard restarts using the sleep button. Everything else works but cannot get to the settings pages. Sigh.
The following instrutions are for resetting the Kindle after a password it lost but it looks to be the same as a factory reset since all content is deleted and the Kindle has to be re-registered.

Quote:

Remember to use the shift button for uppercase letters, and use the Symbol key to insert numbers and other characters. If you cannot remember the password for your Kindle, you can reset your password to regain access. Resetting your password will delete all content on your Kindle and you'll need to register your Kindle again from the Settings screen before downloading items from your Kindle Library on Amazon.com.

To reset your Kindle if you don't have the password:

1. Slide and release the power switch on the top of Kindle to turn on the device or exit sleep mode.
2. Enter "resetmykindle" in the password field and press the enter key on the key pad.
3. Wait several minutes while your Kindle restarts.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #843
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daffy4u! I did that and it set it to factory settings. Seems like you and I got temperamental Kindle 3's!
I found this post on mobile reads:
If you find yourself lost with the KindleDX (like losing your password and cannot access your KindleDX at all) try wiping it to the factory default. Just like you got it when you bought it from the store, but before doing so always make sure you backup your books and files before resetting it to the factory default settings. To reset and completely wipe your Kindle 2nd DX, you must do the following:

1. Slide the power button over to the right for 15 seconds,
2. let go of the power button,
3. Immediately press and hold down the "Home" button until it restarts.
Then entered reset and it worked.

Came up with some stern looking stuff though, as in recovery mode etc etc.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #844
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Daffy4u! I did that and it set it to factory settings. Seems like you and I got temperamental Kindle 3's!
Mine is working fine, I was just looking for info to help you.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #845
Pushka
Wizard

Oh, ok then, thankyou for that - I thought I had read somewhere you were having some problems too. Just reloading the kindle up again now and not worrying about the fonts this time.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #846
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Oh, ok then, thankyou for that - I thought I had read somewhere you were having some problems too. Just reloading the kindle up again now and not worrying about the fonts this time.
You're right, I did have problems but it wasn't with the Kindle. It was with the Fontin font files. NiLuJe did some magic to them and I was able to use them.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #847
agricolae
agricolae began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
screen saver hack for kindle 3

Where is the link to down load the screen saver hack for Kindle 3?
agricolae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #848
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Pushka: Huh. That's *very* weird, but it does kinda explain why you had trouble with the Droid_Sans font set, because the font used in the Settings page with the default set *is* Droid Sans! But that does seem to pinpoint the issue to a very specific font file, that for some reason your Kindle's software really can't handle...

I just checked, and it wasn't one of the fonts that I updated on the 22nd, so I'm certain that it worked on my K3 without problem... :S.

Still not a clue as to why it didn't work on your unit though... .

So, a bit more info about this, but I'm still stumped .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-09-2010 at 01:14 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #849
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Pushka: Huh. That's *very* weird, but it does kinda explain why you had trouble with the Droid_Sans font set, because the font used in the Settings page with the default set *is* Droid Sans! But that does seem to pinpoint the issue to a very specific font file, that for some reason your Kindle's software really can't handle...

I just checked, and it wasn't one of the fonts that I updated on the 22nd, so I'm certain that it worked on my K3 without problem... :S.

Still not a clue as to why it didn't work on your unit though... .

So, a bit more info about this, but I'm still stumped .
I think I have a sensitive, new age kindle!

The font hack worked fine on my husbands K3, and also the 'same' font worked on my K2 the night before. And I have hacked a lot of kindles in my time but I cannot get this one right. Maybe I have one of those kindles like tierstan? had - a development one or something.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #850
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, that's really weird, if you somehow had a different set of software on your Kindle you wouldn't have been able to perform any of the two updates...

(And the factory test suite is another thing entierely, that's entirely *new* files, that shouldn't alter normal behaviour. And would have been deleted at the first reset to factory defaults anyway )
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #851
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Bump USBNetwork to v0.24.N:

* Force htop to use a config file located in the userstore, to avoid it going poof on each reboot (because by default it creates one in ~, but that's in a tmpfs).
* Bundle a tweaked default htop config.
* Really make telnetd use a login shell instead of calling sh (we now have a proper shell environment via telnet, like via ssh).
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #852
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Also attached to the first post, a tarball with the htop/dropbear patches, and a glorified terminal history dump of the cross-compiling of all that stuff, for those enclined. (With a full toolchain built via crosstool-ng).

Like I said, it's a glorified shell history dump, so it's a bit messy, pretty specific to my setup, and, more to the point, it pretty much depends on running Gentoo/at least having a portage tree on hand, because I'm using gentoo patches.

It'll mostly be of interest to the curiouser of you, and those wishing to painlessly build a fairly up to date cross-compiling toolchain for the Kindle that'll handle both static & dynamic binaries. (Right now, gcc 4.4.3, binutils 2.20.1, glibc 2.9)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-09-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #853
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Thanks so much, all who worked on font and screen saver hacks! As a 60 year-old used to the look of print on paper, it gives me great pleasure to see the new font on my Kindle2i. That, along with reduced margins, makes it more pleasurable to read my Kindle. And I was able to use photos of Venice and others as screen-savers.

Now all we need is a firmware upgrade to read epub on Kindle.

Thanks again!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #854
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Thanks so much, all who worked on font and screen saver hacks! As a 60 year-old used to the look of print on paper, it gives me great pleasure to see the new font on my Kindle2i. That, along with reduced margins, makes it more pleasurable to read my Kindle. And I was able to use photos of Venice and others as screen-savers.

Now all we need is a firmware upgrade to read epub on Kindle.

Thanks again!

+1 on that epub reader.
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #855
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-equinoxe View Post
+1 on that epub reader.
Why? Easily converted with Calibre.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet