Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Hacked Pandigital Reader - Does Anything Actually Work???

Okay, after much frustration and effort I hacked my reader, and installed Aldiko, Amazon, Kindle and ereader apps.

Amazon app will load my archived books but chokes whenever I try to download one. It just gives an error message no matter which book I try to download. I can easily browse the amazon store, so it isn't the connection. The app is also painfully slow, scrolling through my entire list of free books would take upwards of 10 minutes, which I don't have the patience for.

The Kobo app just crashes instantly the minute I open it.

Aldiko seems nice but I haven't figured out how to get my books into it yet. It is still very slow. Page turns are faster than the default reader, but at least 5x longer than any of my e-ink readers, which seems ridiculous.

On the whole, the reader is very slow and buggy with frequent crashes. I did upgrade the firmware before hacking. The wi-fi is flaky and unreliable even if I am standing right next to my router.

Do people have other experiences besides this?? Reading on my iphone is seeming like a wonderful experience, despite the teeny-tiny screen, after dealing with this. If they weren't so big I'd be ready to pony up for the iPad to get a backlit reader that actually worked decently.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
kmvargo
kmvargo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I upgraded my firmware, installed the hacks, installed some apps. Mine works fine.
kmvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
akira28
Nameless Being

Glad you got it working, Marcy.

Regarding your reading apps, they didn't install books for me either until I created one folder for each app's name on an SD card. Kobo is indeed broken. EReader works well with fast page turns as does Kindle and alkido. I am still working on the pagination issue with eReader.

In the beginning I had non-connect Wi-fi issues but replaced my router and everything is OK. PD seems to be very finicky in this area. (This also solved my iTouch connectivity issues ).

I didn't expect the PD to be close to being as smooth or fast as Apple's software before going into this purchase and it isn't. Keeping in mind the price difference with the iPad is a big help here. I currently have no problems with crashes and I would not call mine slow.

If this doesn't work for you, you may want to try one of the devices with a 800x480 screen. I am coming to the realization, after a try at the fatally flawed Augen, that those might be a very good size and weight for a reader.

Last edited by akira28; 07-26-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Mine is running well (before and after the hack)... I am extremely happy with the PD. I would suggest ensuring you are connected via wifi.. maybe it is going in and out..

Let us know..

Otherwise, I would suggest you go back to original state and try and reload all the programs..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

akira, how do you know all this stuff?

The folders fixed the Kindle app, although it is still painfully slow. Page turns are extremely slow for an LCD device, although now bearable. It still crashes constantly, and once it crashes the whole device has to be restarted, because all the icons disappear from the scrolly window. Scrolling through archived books is so slow as to be unusable. I don't have enough books downloaded to see if the same is true of books in your library.

eReader works fine. Reading my magazines is a pleasure on the color screen.

Is there a way to get books into aldiko using calibre??

-Marcy
Old 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
akira, how do you know all this stuff?
I did this yesterday.

Quote:
The folders fixed the Kindle app, although it is still painfully slow. Page turns are extremely slow for an LCD device, although now bearable. It still crashes constantly, and once it crashes the whole device has to be restarted, because all the icons disappear from the scrolly window. Scrolling through archived books is so slow as to be unusable. I don't have enough books downloaded to see if the same is true of books in your library.
Something doesn't seem quite right. If the crashing and slowness persists take Guiltyr1's advice. You may also try turning the page animations off in the applications.

Quote:
Is there a way to get books into aldiko using calibre??
I would imagine you would place your books from calibre into the alkido SD folder.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I did this yesterday.
How did you figure out to add the folders to an SD card? I wasn't even going to use one!

Quote:
Something doesn't seem quite right. If the crashing and slowness persists take Guiltyr1's advice. You may also try turning the page animations off in the applications.
I suppose I'll have to do this although I'm not thrilled with the prospect. The initial installation was so painful. I really want to love this device, as I already love the form factor. I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying one of the newer Android tablet form ereaders.

I was so frustrated tonight I almost went out and bought an iPad. I was only saved because all three of my local stores only have 3G versions in stock and I would want the wi-fi only one.

Quote:
I would imagine you would place your books from calibre into the alkido SD folder.
Do you know how to do this? To be imported the books should go on the SD card, into the ebooks/imported folder. Calibre just puts them into the ebooks folder and I can't find a way to change this.

-Marcy
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
How did you figure out to add the folders to an SD card? I wasn't even going to use one!
When you tried to install books did you notice a brief pop-up message warning about a missing parent directory on the sdcard? I just gave it what it wanted.

Quote:
I suppose I'll have to do this although I'm not thrilled with the prospect. The initial installation was so painful. I really want to love this device, as I already love the form factor. I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying one of the newer Android tablet form ereaders.

I was so frustrated tonight I almost went out and bought an iPad. I was only saved because all three of my local stores only have 3G versions in stock and I would want the wi-fi only one.
You don't want to give up now. You may lose you earned geek bragging rights. Trust me, it will be much easier and quicker the second time since you now know all the steps. Hacking can be like solving a puzzle. If you love the form factor then stick with it for a little while. After using this device I realize now that the iPad, while being nice for PDF's and other things, from strictly a ereader point of view, is too darn big for carrying about. Besides I think I like the PD screen better - it doesn't burn my retinas like the iPad does and I think it presents clearer fonts, making reading more pleasurable.

From what I've read not many of the android tablets are ready for prime time. I'd be cautious. A Win CE device would be more mature. Many people are anticipating more android tablets later this year. Perhaps one of those may be exactly what your looking for. In the meantime you can use your PD and be comforted that you only spent a frugal sum.

Quote:
Do you know how to do this? To be imported the books should go on the SD card, into the ebooks/imported folder. Calibre just puts them into the ebooks folder and I can't find a way to change this.
I am not that familiar with Calibre. I don't know if it recognizes an attached PD. You may want to ask the developer. I would just locate the file on the PC and transfer it to the SD card manually.

BTW you may want to try Opera mini browser for android v5.1. It may crash once in a while but in its mobile view it is fast and easier to navigate than the default browser.

Last edited by akira28; 07-27-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Also make sure you install the newest firmware. It seems to fix most of the issues except the wifi though it improved that also. I also don't understand why it is so slow for you specially Aldiko which for me is a lot faster than my wife’s Nook. If it still doesn’t work for you may want to check the new Augen Gentouch for $150.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
Marcy
Guru

I gave up. I went out and bought an iPad today. I could deal with almost anything, but the slowness of the page turns and scrolling through my long lists of books in all the apps would kill any joy of reading for me...

I'll be going to BB&B tomorrow to return this.

-Marcy

Addendum: After trying this I realize that Android is pretty flaky. I just got rid of my G1 phone after a year of aggravation, for many of the same flaky issues. It was worth the early termination fee to be rid of it and T-mobile, who really suck.

Last edited by Marcy; 07-28-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Everyone is jumping in head-first to Android, but I'm actually more excited to see what Windows Phone 7 will be like. Will they make ebook reading apps for it? I always loved my Zune, so I'm hoping they do better this time around. Its too bad WinCE has very little new development. I still think it is a great little OS for these things.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Marcy; sorry you had to return the PD. I believe all the apps (kindle, etc..) must run using an external SD card...

To let you know, I belive the PD's are spotty in QC... I am on my 3rd (exchanged the 1st two for cosmetic reasons). My 3rd is perfect; no issues running any of the apps I want (excet for Kobo).. I am really happy with it..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyr1 View Post
Marcy; sorry you had to return the PD. I believe all the apps (kindle, etc..) must run using an external SD card...

To let you know, I belive the PD's are spotty in QC... I am on my 3rd (exchanged the 1st two for cosmetic reasons). My 3rd is perfect; no issues running any of the apps I want (excet for Kobo).. I am really happy with it..
Guiltyr1,

You can get Kobo working by opening the application when wifi off. You must then login to it when wifi is on. The trick is to first shut down wifi, then start it from the home page using the widget. Then quickly open Kobo before wifi has a chance to connect. Once it does you can then login or create your account. This only needs to be done once. Thereafter you should be able to connect normally.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #14
blanny431
blanny431 began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmvargo View Post
I upgraded my firmware, installed the hacks, installed some apps. Mine works fine.
hey can you help me??I am brand new to this and I finally figured out how to hack this thing (white 7") but I am so new I do not know how to add any apps??isnt that funny I got through all that and found out I lost the library and manage books and that stuff....Im freekin out because I definately want the reader thats why I bought it for in the first place...but I got so into the hacking thing that I totally didnt have a clue that I would lose the very t hing it is made for!!! please tell me how to add the reader apps I think I will be h appy if I can just get to read with this thing and still have the extra little quirky things.....thanks very much...I just hope you get back to this soon :-)
blanny431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
When you say you hacked it, you probably need to say what you did. What firmware are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanny431 View Post
hey can you help me??I am brand new to this and I finally figured out how to hack this thing (white 7") but I am so new I do not know how to add any apps??isnt that funny I got through all that and found out I lost the library and manage books and that stuff....Im freekin out because I definately want the reader thats why I bought it for in the first place...but I got so into the hacking thing that I totally didnt have a clue that I would lose the very t hing it is made for!!! please tell me how to add the reader apps I think I will be h appy if I can just get to read with this thing and still have the extra little quirky things.....thanks very much...I just hope you get back to this soon :-)
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote