Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
netman49
Publisher
netman49 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch, iPad
Cover resizing while converting to ePub

Hi.

I've entered a cover image of 1400 x 1900 pixels (either jpg or .png format) in the Metadata Page of an eBook in Calibre.
After converting that eBook to ePub I noticed that the cover image was blurred.
When going into the source code of the ePub file I saw that the cover.jpeg image was reduced to 873 x 1186 pixels.

How come?

Is there a setting in Calibre were I can state that the cover must not be reduced but keep the original size?
netman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Images are scaled during conversion based on the "Output profile" selected in the "Page setup" tab. Select "Tablet" to disable image scaling.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This may be your problem. Under Preferences and then Tweaks is a setting The maximum width and height for covers saved in the Calibre library. I do not know what the default settings are. I've changed mine to 3000, 4000 just so I won't have an issue with any cover size I put in Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:49 AM   #4
netman49
Publisher
netman49 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch, iPad
Thanks all for your advice!
The problem is indeed solved when I choose another output device in the Page setup settings of the "Convert Books" section.
In my case I choose "Generic e-ink HD".
Now the original image size is kept.
netman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman49 View Post
Thanks all for your advice!
The problem is indeed solved when I choose another output device in the Page setup settings of the "Convert Books" section.
In my case I choose "Generic e-ink HD".
Now the original image size is kept.
Much the same as tablet, that option has the screen size set to unlimited.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think the eInk also grey scales the image, while Tablet leaves it in color
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think the eInk also grey scales the image, while Tablet leaves it in color
That would have been good, but it's not so. I just tested it and the cover is still in color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, resizing