Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
hap
Nameless Being

How to get a good Voyage/Paperwhite the first time?

I want to replace my old lightless Kindle but I am moving abroad soon and don't have time to deal with the likely cycle of replacements. It took my 7 to get the one I have which has an incredible screen...albeit no light. The first six all had major issues and it was really frustrating. I love the Kindle I have but find myself needing light more and more and can't find an add on that's even and not a hassle.

I have looked at demos at Best buy and they all had the annoying gradient issue on the Voyage and splotches on the PW2. I am also reading the Voyage has less endurance than the PW2. I tried buying/returning at Best Buy in the past until I got a good one after the one from Amazon sucked...after 4 they said stop. Went to WalMart and it took 2 but the second one was the best E-Ink screen I have ever seen. Such a massive QC difference.

Any good advice to get a good model direct from Amazon? I called CS and they of course just repeated to return it if its bad and wouldn't admit it was a known issue...but they wouldn't pay the shipping or allow me to return to the local market I will be moving too. The shipping costs back to the USA would be prohibitive. The devices are a LOT more where I will be moving to. So it's sort of a bind since you cant depend on getting a good device when you order.

So...want a good lighted device ASAP...tips?

Last edited by hap; 11-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap View Post
I want to replace my old lightless Kindle but I am moving abroad soon and don't have time to deal with the likely cycle of replacements. It took my 7 to get the one I have which has an incredible screen...albeit no light. The first six all had major issues and it was really frustrating. I love the Kindle I have but find myself needing light more and more and can't find an add on that's even and not a hassle.

I have looked at demos at Best buy and they all had the annoying gradient issue on the Voyage and splotches on the PW2. I am also reading the Voyage has less endurance than the PW2. I tried buying/returning at Best Buy in the past until I got a good one after the one from Amazon sucked...after 4 they said stop. Went to WalMart and it took 2 but the second one was the best E-Ink screen I have ever seen. Such a massive QC difference.

Any good advice to get a good model direct from Amazon? I called CS and they of course just repeated to return it if its bad and wouldn't admit it was a known issue...but they wouldn't pay the shipping or allow me to return to the local market I will be moving too. The shipping costs back to the USA would be prohibitive. The devices are a LOT more where I will be moving to. So it's sort of a bind since you cant depend on getting a good device when you order.

It will depend on your definition of a good screen. Neither of the Voyages I got were acceptable and I wasn't going for a third try. I decided to wait until the wrinkles are ironed out before buying or trying another one.

I got decent PW2 2014 screens, but some were yellow and that bothered me a lot. I was ordering wifi, no special offers and decided to order wifi with special offers just to see what would happen. I got brighter, less dingy screens and kept the two best. It took me a total of 5 to get two good ones, and admittedly Amazon doesn't like me much right now, I'm sure, but I don't like their screen issues either and they already got me on the PW1. It was the worst reader I've ever gotten.

I am quite happy with the 2 PW2s that I kept and for me the trick was the Special Offers. I've never ordered SO models before and for whatever reason they were the better ones for me. I then removed the special offers. Easy.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap View Post

If it took you 7 tries to get a "good" non-lit ereader from Amazon, I wouldn't recommend you even try to get a "good" PW/Voyage. Go for a Kobo ereader instead as apparently from what's been posted here, they do not have screen problems.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you are as sensitive to screen issues as it sounds as if you are, you'd probably be better off sticking to paper books. I'd say that your expectations of what screens should be like are unrealistic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Go for a Kobo ereader instead as apparently from what's been posted here, they do not have screen problems.
While I love kobo ereaders, I would not say none of them have screen problems. I am happy with mine, but they are not perfect. My Glos have light cones at the bottom. My Aura light is fine, but the text is not as sharp, and it has a pinhole. My HD has less flawed lighting, but I wouldn't say it's perfect. And it has at least one pinhole.

(All 4 of my lighted Kobos have light pinholes, which can normally only be seen when holding them at extreme angles. All but one of mine was purchased used, so it's not unreasonable to wonder if they had something fall on the screen to cause the pinhole.)

While I do not have an H2O, I wouldn't say everyone has been pleased. There are always people who are unhappy for one reason or another. Lighting and screen aside, there are other reasons to prefer Kobo over Kindle.

The best, most evenly lit screen is a backlit device (in my experience). The Fire HD 6 with a matte screen protector is a dream to read on.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
While I love kobo ereaders, I would not say none of them have screen problems. I am happy with mine, but they are not perfect. My Glos have light cones at the bottom. My Aura light is fine, but the text is not as sharp, and it has a pinhole. My HD has less flawed lighting, but I wouldn't say it's perfect. And it has at least one pinhole.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression from what others have posted here that unlike the PW/Voyage, Kobo ereaders have no screen problems.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression from what others have posted here that unlike the PW/Voyage, Kobo ereaders have no screen problems.
It would seem not. "JosieB" went through three H2O's before getting one that she considered to be good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think you're probably better off not even trying. I feel confident saying that you'll probably go through at least 4 or 5 before you find something you like.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I ordered one on the Amazon web page and it showed up a week or two ago and is just fine. Same with my two Paperwhites. My conclusion is that Amazon knows who is important and it sends the Kindles with good screens to us, and all the factory seconds go out to the chronic complainers.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
I ordered one on the Amazon web page and it showed up a week or two ago and is just fine. Same with my two Paperwhites. My conclusion is that Amazon knows who is important and it sends the Kindles with good screens to us, and all the factory seconds go out to the chronic complainers.
LOL. 5
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
They see you while you're sleeping
They know if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sakes!

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Amazon is coming to town!

How do they know?
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting hypothesis (sort of anti-friendship ), though highly unlikely. More likely it is due to ordering volume, if anything of the sort, but also equally unlikely. It is most likely the luck of the draw and particular QC batches.

Did you order the Voyage with or without SO? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMark View Post
They see you while you're sleeping
They know if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sakes!

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Amazon is coming to town!

How do they know?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Serves them right.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
  1. Just pray to whichever G-d you worship that you get lucky.
  2. Also pray for the insight to recognize it when you get it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote