Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
mcchipps
mcchipps began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Change ownership?

I just bought my mother i law a new Kobo reader for her bday...

I opened in and loaded it with a couple of dozen epub books as a gift....

when I plugged it in I had to create a kobo profile in my name with email address ect...

I used caliber to load it up, and now I want to give it to her.... How can she get rid of my account info and update it with her own?

will she be forced to delete all the books I have put on it for her?

thanks.
mcchipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Once she creates her own account, the books you have on, which are now associated with your account, will be "locked" and unreadable. When I have given a reader to someone, I have created an account for them, with my credit card to do the purchases, and then removed my credit card information from the site so they could then add their own.

There are some alternatives, for example, some people would take the ePUB versions of the book, remove the DRM, and then load them on the reader after having done a factory reset. She would then have your gifts on her reader and could setup her own account for further purchases. You could also contact Kobo, explain the situation, and ask them if they could possibly move the books you bought for your mom into her own account. I have no idea what they might do about this, but it might be worth a try. You could also decide to continue to share accounts with her, and work out the financial part of it, perhaps with one of you using pay pal and the other having the cc assoicated with the account.

Good luck!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Since you say you used Calibre to load it, I'm assuming you loaded with Non-DRM books. In which case, all you need to do is Log in to Kobo Desktop with her own account (create one,) and Sync. You'll get a warning that existing books will no longer be available, but that only applies to DRM crippled stuff.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Since you say you used Calibre to load it, I'm assuming you loaded with Non-DRM books. In which case, all you need to do is Log in to Kobo Desktop with her own account (create one,) and Sync. You'll get a warning that existing books will no longer be available, but that only applies to DRM crippled stuff.
That will also apply to any books in kobo ePub format too....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
mcchipps
mcchipps began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
thanks all,

sounds like my best solution is to add the books to caliber on her computer, then reset the kobo to factory settings, create her kobo account, then use caliber to re-add the books?

I am pretty sure they are not DRM protected...
mcchipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchipps View Post
thanks all,

sounds like my best solution is to add the books to caliber on her computer, then reset the kobo to factory settings, create her kobo account, then use caliber to re-add the books?

If she ever plans on using Kobobooks to purchase her own books, then yes, this probably would be the best course of action.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchipps View Post
thanks all,

If none of the books are DRM, then they weren't purchased from kobobooks.com. If they aren't DRM, you have no issues at all.

If these are public domain kobobooks.com books, created under your account, and therefore free, they can simply be added to the Kobo once you set it up in your mother-in-law's name. There are no special hoops to go through.

If none of the books originated from the kobobooks.com website, then you need only reset the device in the new name and copy them over as you did originally.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote