Notices

Old 06-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
wgabi
Enthusiast
wgabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
Post Online metadata/cover editor.

Hi,

Is there a really good online metadata/cover editor? Or an Android app?

I have no access to Windows/Mac/Linux machines, so I try to do everything online (I have two Chromebooks, one is getting the Play Store now), or on my Android phone. While I can convert e-books online, the sites I have found, can only change the Title and Author tags, if anything at all... So far, I couldn't find one site where I could change or put a missing cover in an epub file. Same with Android, I use the "Epub Tags Editor" app, which is a very nice free app, unfortunately doesn't support covers. :-(

I spent many hours searching on the web, but no luck. I'd appreciate any help.

wgabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:10 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't know of anything currently available (and wouldn't have cause to find out, since I like my Linux desktop ).

But calibre is currently undergoing a massive rewrite around the Content Server, for the calibre v3 milestone, and as part of that rewrite it is expected that you will be able to read/write to the library from the browser.
You'd still have to run calibre on a dedicated server. Also, it is not ready yet (at all).

But in an upcoming calibre v3 you might have your solution.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
wgabi
Enthusiast

That sounds interesting. It could be an online Calibre :-) Even if the online version would be a more simple version, still that would be fantastic.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would it not be an awful lot easier simply to get a PC? Use the right tool for the job: the right tool for editing books is not a web browser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgabi View Post
That sounds interesting. It could be an online Calibre :-) Even if the online version would be a more simple version, still that would be fantastic.
Ultimately, that is the intention -- you should be able to do anything in calibre either from the desktop GUI or via a server-client model via the browser-based clone.
This will also give us multi-user access, and be the next best thing to a Chromebook version of calibre.

But for now, the rewrite is nowhere near done.
The functionality of the current server has been mostly duplicated, and the in-browser ebook viewer is functional-but-still-rudimentary -- all the rest is still to come.
I have been watching it progress with excitement.

@HarryT,

A lot of people have found that Chromebooks mostly meet their needs, are much easier to maintain, and cost a lot less.
That is a valid choice, and although I don't see restricting myself to only the browser, browser apps, javascript, and now Android emulation (sometimes)... if someone else wants to do so, it would be nice if there are solutions available to them.

More choice is always a good thing, and simply saying "get a PC" is not a good answer unless you mean to say there is no Chromebook-compliant solution.

(Granted, I know of none, but I haven't looked, so what would I know.)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Depending on which Chromebooks OP has, might be able to install a nice Linux distro on one. Then it's easy steps to Calibre.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 AM   #7
wgabi
Enthusiast

@eschwartz,

Is there a thread about this project that I could follow, or any place? I still think you wouldn't need to "migrate" Calibre as the whole complex app, but the basics. Convert from one format to another, edit meta info, and maybe the ability to change paragraph spaces, justify text... These are the most important things, and I bet 90% of the people only use these features in Calibre. I know that Calibre has so much more to offer, and it is truly the best app available, and for free. It is of course the right tool, if you have a PC. But on the go, this would be the best, and wouldn't need to be overly complex.

@HarryT,

I had Windows PC's since they introduced version 3.1
I was a happy, and often frustrated Windows user for many years. You know installing, updating for hours, start again the whole thing if something went wrong, pay ridiculous money just to get some extra features, etc... I could go on and on.

A few years ago I tried OS-X, which I found a lot more stable, but less many available apps, and all for sky high prices. Plus, I really don't like Apple's way to do certain things, like forcing you to use some of their app, or services. At the end, while Macs are beautiful, they are just not for me.

Then Chromebooks came along... Yes, I know. They are pretty useless, when they are compared to a full OS. But Goggle Play Store is coming to many Chromebooks in this year, so there will be a real boost in usability very soon. Even now, without the Android apps, I can do most of my needs on my laptop. I browse the Internet, sending and receiving messages... simple things mostly. Again, awful lot of people do just the everyday simple things on their slow, virus laden PC, or on their shiny Mac, never really take advantage of their machine full potential.

"Use the right tool for the job"

Of course you are right, there are apps which will not work, or maybe will never work on an online, or mobile platform. People who must use Photoshop, CAD, or heavy gamers need a PC or a Mac.

One more thing. Chromebooks are fantastic solutions for schools, elderly people, or the ones who have no computer skills at all. My ageing mother used Windows, and I had to go and fix the "thing" quite often when she somehow managed to delete, or mix up things. A few times only a fresh install could bring back the machine :-( Now she (and me too) is happily browsing, messaging, watching videos, etc... Since she has a Chromebook, I never had to do anything, no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
@eschwartz,

Is there a thread about this project that I could follow, or any place? I still think you wouldn't need to "migrate" Calibre as the whole complex app, but the basics. Convert from one format to another, edit meta info, and maybe the ability to change paragraph spaces, justify text... These are the most important things, and I bet 90% of the people only use these features in Calibre. I know that Calibre has so much more to offer, and it is truly the best app available, and for free. It is of course the right tool, if you have a PC. But on the go, this would be the best, and wouldn't need to be overly complex.
There is no thread discussing it.

I have been following the commit logs, since I run from source anyway.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
Old 07-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
One more thing. Chromebooks are fantastic solutions for schools, elderly people, or the ones who have no computer skills at all. My ageing mother used Windows, and I had to go and fix the "thing" quite often when she somehow managed to delete, or mix up things. A few times only a fresh install could bring back the machine :-( Now she (and me too) is happily browsing, messaging, watching videos, etc... Since she has a Chromebook, I never had to do anything, no problems whatsoever.
Oh, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, when you run into a task which does require the ability to run apps locally, though, a PC becomes a useful tool to have. I feel the same way about my iPad that you do about your Chromebook - it's great for a very large percentage of the computing activities I do. For the same percentage that it can't do, though, I still rely on my laptop PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Cheesedoodle
Cheesedoodle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had this problem today and found a solution to it for anyone else who is searching. So I found out that an epub is basically a zip file with a webpage (and corresponding files) inside. So
1) find an app that will unzip zip files
2) in the app rename .epub to .zip. Unzip it
3) browse through the folders to find the images folder and cover.jpg (or equivalent)
4) replace that with your image (renamed to the same thing as the original cover image - ie. cover.jpg)
5) rezip it and change the .zip to .epub

I’m sure there’s issues that could come up, others worked fine but for one I tried, it wouldn’t open again in the app I used to open the original in (Documents on iOS) but worked in iBooks
Cheesedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, meta, online