Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 PM   #4486
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Audiobooks.com -- 12 Days of Deals -- exp 11 Dec
  • $7.99 -- Fly Girls -- Keith O'brien/ Erin Bennett --> 12.3 hrs --> NF history
Quote:
Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History

Between the world wars, no sport was more popular, or more dangerous, than airplane racing. Thousands of fans flocked to multi-day events, and cities vied with one another to host them. The pilots themselves were hailed as dashing heroes who cheerfully stared death in the face. Well, the men were hailed. Female pilots were more often ridiculed than praised for what the press portrayed as silly efforts to horn in on a manly, and deadly, pursuit. Fly Girls recounts how a cadre of women banded together to break the original glass ceiling: the entrenched prejudice that conspired to keep them out of the sky.

O'Brien weaves together the stories of five remarkable women: Florence Klingensmith, a high school dropout who worked for a dry cleaner in Fargo, North Dakota; Ruth Elder, an Alabama divorcee; Amelia Earhart, the most famous, but not necessarily the most skilled; Ruth Nichols, who chafed at the constraints of her blue blood family's expectations; and Louise Thaden, the mother of two young kids who got her start selling coal in Wichita. Together, they fought for the chance to race against the men-and in 1936 one of them would triumph in the toughest race of all.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #4487
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 12 Dec @ 11:59 PM GMT
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #4488
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 12 Dec @ 11:59 PM PT

Last edited by tubemonkey; Yesterday at 06:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #4489
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
It was mainly hyperbole (exaggeration). The point is: "Inactive Listeners" or "InactiveListeners" really don't get much for their membership fee (albeit a small one) anymore.

I signed up for the Listener Light/Inactive Listener (the name used to be ListenerLite or Listener Light) plan several years ago, and I renewed it year after year. It seems to me that, as time went on, that there was a point where we started to get to participate in fewer and fewer sales and promotions. Somewhere along in there, Audible started calling us Inactive Listeners--that was like a kick in the teeth.(I put my money where my "mouth" is: I had about a year left on my Inactive Listener membership, but I got so disgusted with Audible that about 6 months before the expiration was to have occurred, I called Audible and politely canceled my association with them completely).

[I started writing what would have amounted to a long post about my grievances. I decided that I don't want to do that.]

When Audible changed the name of the membership to Inactive Listener, they told us more than they might have intended--we've been more and more inactive buying from them, because we get to participate in fewer and fewer sales and promotions.
I've got about 6 months left in my light/inactive membership and I don't plan to renew. As far as the sale goes, there was no sale banner when I logged in but I did see it when I followed Catlady's link. So I will be buying an audiobook from the sale after all. The one advantage to Audible over the other audiobook sellers is that you can transfter the books to mp3 players, such as the Sansa clip. As far as I can tell, the others have to be listened to through an app. Anyway, I'm glad it was pointed out that all members are eligible for the sale prices.
wandalynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #4490
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
The one advantage to Audible over the other audiobook sellers is that you can transfter the books to mp3 players, such as the Sansa clip. As far as I can tell, the others have to be listened to through an app.
Not at all; in fact, the advantage is the other way with a couple of major sellers. Unlike Audible, Downpour and Tantor sell DRM-free audiobooks which can be transferred to any mp3 player and not just Sansa clips. My waterproof mp3 player is fed with books from Downpour, Tantor and OverDrive; my Audible library is inaccessible.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #4491
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audiobooks.com -- 12 Days of Deals -- exp 12 Dec
  • $9.99 -- Spymaster -- Brad Thor/ Armand Schultz --> 10.0 hrs --> thriller
Quote:
The newest thriller in the #1 New York Times, #1 Wall Street Journal, and #1 Publishers Weekly bestselling series!

Across Europe, a secret organization has begun attacking diplomats. Back in the United States, a foreign ally demands the identity of a highly placed covert asset. In the balance hang the ingredients for all-out war.

With his mentor out of the game, counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath must take on the role he has spent his career avoiding. But, as with everything else he does, he intends to rewrite the rules—all of them.

In Spymaster, Scot Harvath is more cunning, more dangerous, and deadlier than ever before.

If you have never read a Brad Thor novel, this is the place to start!
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #4492
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Rental of the Week -- exp 18 Dec
Quote:
Hell Divers Series (book 4)

They dive so humanity survives. Now they take to the sea.

In the fourth installment of the award-winning and USA Today bestselling Hell Divers series, the Sea Wolf sets out to search for the Metal Islands. Leading the expedition is legendary Hell Diver Xavier Rodriguez. After enduring for a decade on the poisoned surface, his survival skills will be put to the test on the dangerous open seas. But storms, sea monsters, and the cannibalistic Cazadores aren’t the only threat to X and his small crew. Their mission will uncover hard truths about the history of the war that left humankind stranded in the air for centuries. And the fate of those still living on the airships might very well rest on this fragile and perilous journey to find a new home.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #4493
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My waterproof mp3 player is fed with books from Downpour, Tantor and OverDrive; my Audible library is inaccessible.
What waterproof player do you have?

Have you seen this? It's quite spendy. You can download apps like Audible, OverDrive, and Spotify. Then you can download content for offline listening.

Delphin Waterproof Streaming Media Player -- 8GB $220 | 16GB $260
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delphin.png
Views:	5
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	168308  

Last edited by tubemonkey; Yesterday at 07:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #4494
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Not at all; in fact, the advantage is the other way with a couple of major sellers. Unlike Audible, Downpour and Tantor sell DRM-free audiobooks which can be transferred to any mp3 player and not just Sansa clips. My waterproof mp3 player is fed with books from Downpour, Tantor and OverDrive; my Audible library is inaccessible.
Thank you! I was just thinking of Kobo and B&N. I've bought audiobooks from B&N and their app is so frustrating it's almost unusable. Both Downpour and Tantor look good - Tantor is matching some of Audible's sale prices, at least on the books I was considering. That's extra nice that they don't have drm.
wandalynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #4495
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What waterproof player do you have?

Have you seen this? It's quite spendy. You can download apps like Audible, OverDrive, and Spotify. Then you can download content for offline listening.

Delphin Waterproof Streaming Media Player -- 8GB $220 | 16GB $260
I have an Aerb. It was a transformative device for me. It's a bare-bones mp3 player that has gotten me through five summers of daily immersion, so it owes me nothing. I'll mourn it when it goes to the device boneyard.

I've seen the Delphin. Aside from being way too rich for my blood, my understanding is that the apps are limited and that Downpour and OverDrive can't be downloaded. So as limited as my Aerb, just in a different manner; in some ways I'm better off being able to access OD for swim listens than my Audible library. However, the functionality is certainly spiffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Thank you! I was just thinking of Kobo and B&N. I've bought audiobooks from B&N and their app is so frustrating it's almost unusable. Both Downpour and Tantor look good - Tantor is matching some of Audible's sale prices, at least on the books I was considering. That's extra nice that they don't have drm.
Aside from being able to sideload DRM-free content, the Downpour app is quite nice; it's up there with Audible and OverDrive. The Tantor app is awful; I'd never listen to Tantor content with the app.
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #4496
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 13 Dec @ 11:59 PM GMT
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #4497
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Audible -- exp 13 Dec
Old Today, 04:15 AM   #4498
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I have an Aerb. It was a transformative device for me. It's a bare-bones mp3 player that has gotten me through five summers of daily immersion, so it owes me nothing. I'll mourn it when it goes to the device boneyard.

I've seen the Delphin. Aside from being way too rich for my blood, my understanding is that the apps are limited and that Downpour and OverDrive can't be downloaded. So as limited as my Aerb, just in a different manner; in some ways I'm better off being able to access OD for swim listens than my Audible library. However, the functionality is certainly spiffy.
Thanks. Underwater Audio claims that the Delphin can download any Android app out there. Whether it actually can is another matter. This player intrigues me, but it's too danged expensive.

Quote:
Aside from being able to sideload DRM-free content, the Downpour app is quite nice; it's up there with Audible and OverDrive. The Tantor app is awful; I'd never listen to Tantor content with the app.
Totally agree on Tantor. That app really sucks. They should withdraw it and put it out of its misery.
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #4499
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 13 Dec @ 11:59 PM PT

* Christmas Days: 12 Stories and 12 Feasts for 12 Days
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #4500
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks. Underwater Audio claims that the Delphin can download any Android app out there. Whether it actually can is another matter. This player intrigues me, but it's too danged expensive.
I was told by someone who has one that for audiobooks, it's pretty much Audible or nothing, that it's only apps that are available from the Amazon app store and that sideloading apps has been a non-starter. But this was early days and perhaps it's changed.

And yes to the price. I'd be thrilled if one fell into my lap, but my Aerb does what it needs to and the price has amortized to about $7/summer. If I get another summer out of it, that will be about $6.

I can see that if one wants it for music, the ability to download a Spotify playlist could be compelling, for ease, randomness and selectability. But audiobooks last for hours and don't need scrambling, so it's harder to make a case. Loading a new book takes minimal tending.