Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
crocuta
crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.

Device: Pocketbook Aqua
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
AFAIK assigning a drive letter is something that is logged only in WINDOWS REGISTRY - IT IS NOT ANYTHING WRITTEN TO THE DEVICE
Right, but as I said, Windows sees the reader's drive as empty, without partition. To assign a drive letter, I would have to create a partition and format it. That could be the end of the reader as it could be wiped clean. Most probably only the storage with books is accessible by the computer so it wouldn't affect the reader's system but it's still too risky for my taste. I'd like to find the problem before such drastic measures. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
dunno if this is relevant but some devices e.g. my wifes android phone can connect in multiple modes,
..."File transfer," "Media transfer," or "MTP." ...
the default connection is NOT the one that allows access to the file system and lets her copy files(photos). There's a swipe down and then select a connection type that she has to do every time
These readers, however, only connect in one mode. I can choose between "charging" (e.g. no connection to the computer), or connection to computer.
crocuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
try in this sub forum for Bookeen?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=136
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My (older) Pocketbook readers automatically go into "charge" mode if powered off when connected to the computer. So, make sure that the reader is powered up before connecting the USB cable to the computer if you want the dialog to come up.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:54 AM   #19
crocuta
crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.crocuta is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
My (older) Pocketbook readers automatically go into "charge" mode if powered off when connected to the computer. So, make sure that the reader is powered up before connecting the USB cable to the computer if you want the dialog to come up.
Of course.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:17 AM   #20
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I had a quick look on Google and there are numerous reports of problems with ereaders connecting via usb after various updates. I use Linux and the only similar problem I have ever experienced was a Kobo which was very sensitive to the type of USB cable used.

One thing I saw suggested which apparently worked for some is to connect the reader through an old usb hub. Not the best solution but if it works may get you out of trouble until a fix comes along. I also saw references to a usb troubleshooter which may be worth following up. Another suggestion was to re-install the Windows software for your device, if it shipped with any. The theory is that it may re-install necessary drivers. I'm not sure about your particular readers. Kobo, for instance, has its own desktop software, whilst Kindles do not.

Good luck.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:35 AM   #21
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocuta View Post
Since Google failed me, I have to ask here.
The situation:
Computer with Windows 10 after clean installation won't recognize e-readers anymore. This is not limited to Pocketbook, I have Bookeen too and it fails to show up in the computer as well.
Before the clean install everything worked fine so there are no problems with USB ports or cables.
When I plug in the e-reader, the USB-sound is played but nothing else happens. Under PC Management I can see a new drive (e-reader) but it is not initiated and I wouldn't touch it unless I have to. There is no letter assigned to it and it basically looks like an empty drive without partition.
My conclusion is: as the previous Win 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 8, there must be something (drivers?) Win 8 used to recognize an e-reader as such. After the upgrade it probably stayed in the system and e-readers worked fine. However, a clean install of Win 10 doesn't have this something.
So - what is that SOMETHING and how can I put it back?
(Note: I tried every possible solution I could find - change the cable, different USB ports, re-install of USB drivers, etc.)
1) No need to install anti-virus on Windows 10.
# it causes a lot of problems on the whole Avast etc.
(In addition to anti-virus for nothing. Better install than an Anti-Spyware)

2) You should install first driver for your "chipset".
#Not with Windows 10, but look for the drivers on the official factory page of your motherboard.

3) Connect to a USB 2.0 not on the 3.0.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-31-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #22
crocuta

Thanks to everyone who joined. Nothing helped, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
1) No need to install anti-virus on Windows 10.
# it causes a lot of problems on the whole Avast etc.
(In addition to anti-virus for nothing. Better install than an Anti-Spyware)
I have BitDefender, the same as before. Worked previously without glitch.
Quote:
2) You should install first driver for your "chipset".
#Not with Windows 10, but look for the drivers on the official factory page of your motherboard.
I have original drivers from Intel, its diagnostic tool says I have all the latest drivers.
Quote:
3) Connect to a USB 2.0 not on the 3.0.
No difference, previously it worked in any USB port, now in none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
One thing I saw suggested which apparently worked for some is to connect the reader through an old usb hub.
Didn't work, sadly.
Quote:
I also saw references to a usb troubleshooter which may be worth following up.
Didn't help either.
Quote:
Another suggestion was to re-install the Windows software for your device, if it shipped with any.
There wasn't any specific software or drivers. All worked with generic Windows drivers.
Which brings me back to the original question - does anyone know WHICH drivers does Windows use for detecting and operating e-readers?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #23
crocuta

this post has been removed

Last edited by crocuta; 11-25-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Not relevant anymore
Old 11-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
crocuta

Ah, finally, the end of my problems.
As it turns out, the readers use TWO drivers. As a last resort I uninstalled the other drivers that were working - USB flash storage - different in both readers. Then reboot the PC and voila - everything works.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Hopefully this will help when someone else stumbles upon the same problem.