Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #31
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I read with the smallest font, narrow margin, and tight spacing, and there isn't a significant difference between the amount of text on the page on the PW and a paperback. I've read plenty of difficult texts without issue. To each her own. ( My eyes are old, but also myopic. Hence the small font.)
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #32
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
This is pure speculation but I presume that they haven't added the colour-changing light feature for simpler reasons of quality control. I'm moving back to Kindle from a Kobo Aura and if you pop into that forum there are tons of issues with their comfort light in terms of inconsistency of colour/temp profiles, unevenness, splotchiness (e.g., green splotches)... I would like to think (or hope at least) that Amazon is refining the execution of it before launching (i.e., so customers don't have to play the "panel lottery" with 3,4,5+ returns).

This would also make sense from a business point of view from the cost:benefit math of expected revenue gain from the feature / %units affected by quality issues (anecdotally fairly high at this stage from Kobo forums here and on reddit, e.g., Aura, Forma) x expected returns x expected hit to brand trust
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
This is pure speculation but I presume that they haven't added the colour-changing light feature for simpler reasons of quality control. I'm moving back to Kindle from a Kobo Aura and if you pop into that forum there are tons of issues with their comfort light in terms of inconsistency of colour/temp profiles, unevenness, splotchiness (e.g., green splotches)... I would like to think (or hope at least) that Amazon is refining the execution of it before launching (i.e., so customers don't have to play the "panel lottery" with 3,4,5+ returns).

This would also make sense from a business point of view from the cost:benefit math of expected revenue gain from the feature / %units affected by quality issues (anecdotally fairly high at this stage from Kobo forums here and on reddit, e.g., Aura, Forma) x expected returns x expected hit to brand trust
As far as I can tell, manufacturers other than Kobo (e.g. Pocketbook, Tolino) have the comfort light thing working just fine.
I‘d be surprised if they beat the big players to it (also weird because Tolino and Kobo share the same hardware platform). But Kobo never ceases to amaze...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #34
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
..... I tend to find those who want to run the colour temp to "candlelit" a bit amusing.
Does it flicker?
If not, then I feel they should not be able to use that misleading title.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #35
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I would really expect that it would be the Amazon MARKETING dept you need to talk to for an answer rather than the engineering dept. I'm sure they could do it from a technical perspective if they wanted, but .......
they are worried about being accused of having a monopoly with the ereader market, so they decided to give Kobo etc more of a chance to make a few sales.

Or .... and this is only a rumor .... they've got something bigger and better coming out soon, that will blow our minds ... and wallets ... and they suspect they will have trouble selling older models from then on.

I think it best to let you speculate on what that might be, and say nothing further, except .... you heard it here first.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, color temp, comfortlight, kindle