Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev
calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Android Phone, Kindle, Surface Pro 3
Question How large is your Calibre library?

Hello all,

Just curious, how many books do you guys have in your libraries?

Thanks
calibrejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrejunkie View Post
Hello all,

Thanks
The first thing I did way back when... Was add 900+ 'Empty books" for my paper Library.
I set up a banquet table with my HP4C flat scanner for covers, a bar code scanner and laptop (remote desktop connected to the Calibre (desktop) PC

Next, I imported all (PRC/Mobi) titles from the Baen CD's (back when Jim made those available to anyone) and the Free Library titles (between those, I had almost a 25% overlap with the paperbacks)

So I started with a couple of thousand entries, and it has been downhill since. I used to buy abou 6 Baen Bundles a year, Amazon gets me now that I switched to a Kindle (I wore out 2 Astaks, and the K4 is getting tired buttons. I really don't do touch well.)
~14K entries (I did use epubsplit PI to bust up some Omnibus and anthologies)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks
Currently about 9300 ebooks plus another ghod know how many fanfics. I started with some scanned/OCRs, then added in a mass of Baen's book both from the bound-in CDs and from the free library (prior to Baen allowing other companies to sell their ebooks). After that much like theducks, I never looked back.

I also have a separate calibre library for my 2000 or so hardcovers (scanned covers and manually added author/publisher information) but I've never had the enthusiasm to do the same for my paperbacks which go back to the old Ace doubles. That lack of enthusiasm is mainly due to a desire to avoid doing the same for my wife's Harlequin/etc. paperbacks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My libraries are on a SATA3 Toshiba HDD, the program code and configuration are on a Sandisk NVMe PCIe SSD.

Biggest library is just shy of 131,000; they are public domain documents, not commercial books. I have a Test library which has fewer than a 100 books. There is no significant difference performance-wise between the two libraries.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks
7043 books currently.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Merithyn
Nameless Being

1033 ebooks and 259 manga. Quite manageable at the moment. I'm a cover and metadata fanatic so all of them have all that filled in.

I had (still do) one mega collection of probably more than 50k books but it's kinda a mess with different formats/scans etc and I never imported them to Calibre, just the ones I read and I'm intending to read.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
A couple hundred "normal" books.

Fanfics (each in separate library)
  • ~6,000 FF.net (unique)
  • ~5,500 AO3 (~2,800 deduplicated but I keep old versions in case I need to recover sync and annotation info from Marvin)
  • ~2,000 (iirc) Hawthorn & Vine (unique)

My manga collection is quite sizeable but is organized through folder structure.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev
calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.calibrejunkie got an A in P-Chem.

How large is your Calibre library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The first thing I did way back when... Was add 900+ 'Empty books" for my paper Library.
I set up a banquet table with my HP4C flat scanner for covers, a bar code scanner and laptop (remote desktop connected to the Calibre (desktop) PC

Next, I imported all (PRC/Mobi) titles from the Baen CD's (back when Jim made those available to anyone) and the Free Library titles (between those, I had almost a 25% overlap with the paperbacks)

So I started with a couple of thousand entries, and it has been downhill since. I used to buy abou 6 Baen Bundles a year, Amazon gets me now that I switched to a Kindle (I wore out 2 Astaks, and the K4 is getting tired buttons. I really don't do touch well.)
I did not know about "Baen Bundles", I'll have to check that out. I assume you already know about Humble Bundle book bundles? I've added about 1500 books to my library that way.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Using Calibre for tracking your paper library is a cool idea. Like a card catalog on steroids. I mostly read on Kindle, phone or tablet nowadays, so Calibre+Calibre Companion have been a great combo for me.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My libraries are on a SATA3 Toshiba HDD, the program code and configuration are on a Sandisk NVMe PCIe SSD.

Biggest library is just shy of 131,000; they are public domain documents, not commercial books. I have a Test library which has fewer than a 100 books. There is no significant difference performance-wise between the two libraries.

BR
131,000 is pretty huge, lol. Do you have any good sources for downloading public domain books in bulk?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merithyn View Post
1033 ebooks and 259 manga. Quite manageable at the moment. I'm a cover and metadata fanatic so all of them have all that filled in.

I had (still do) one mega collection of probably more than 50k books but it's kinda a mess with different formats/scans etc and I never imported them to Calibre, just the ones I read and I'm intending to read.
Most of my meta data is a mess. I always try to at least add relevant tags, though on new items. Really amazing how it can grab covers and metadata so well from the net, though, when you do take the time to clean things up a bit.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
calibrejunkie
Page Junkie Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
A couple hundred "normal" books.

Fanfics (each in separate library)
  • ~6,000 FF.net (unique)
  • ~5,500 AO3 (~2,800 deduplicated but I keep old versions in case I need to recover sync and annotation info from Marvin)
  • ~2,000 (iirc) Hawthorn & Vine (unique)

My manga collection is quite sizeable but is organized through folder structure.
That's a LOT of fanfic! I'm a big Star Trek fan, so back in the day I used to look for a lot of Star Trek fanfics. I found several authors back then that put the commercial stuff to shame.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
That's a LOT of fanfic! I'm a big Star Trek fan, so back in the day I used to look for a lot of Star Trek fanfics. I found several authors back then that put the commercial stuff to shame.
A good chunk of them are just drabbles, one-shots and short stories.

FanFiction.Net, I've been collecting those since ~2008? (when erayd released FLAG). I actually have some older stories in Word collected since 2002 on old CDs. The CDs are probably degraded by now which is sad considering most aren't available online anymore.

The Hawthorn & Vine was maybe since 2011/12.

AO3 is the newest (since 2014?).

I think the fanfics span maybe 20+ fandoms. My Harry Potter fanfic collection is the biggest. HP fandom writers are quite prolific.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
131,000 is pretty huge, lol. Do you have any good sources for downloading public domain books in bulk?
Only the usual suspects like Gutenberg, here and others already mentioned. The content of my major libraries is used for research (politics), not for personal cover-to-cover reading. And they are documents (papers, reports, transcripts etc) not "books".

For the latter I prefer ink on paper, then its my property to share with whom I ever I please. I give most books away once I've read them, mostly via nearby street libraries. The only thing I hoard are memories

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-02-2018 at 06:45 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #15
Tenzin_la
Enthusiast
Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Tenzin_la is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Oasis
20 GB or just shy of 9,000. books. I read a lot, about 3-4 books / month, plus I try use ebooks for my two children whenever I'm able. I also am proof reading 3-4 books / articles at any one time and when I read books in translation, I may have as many as 4 or 5 different translations (along with the original if I can read the language) to go back and fourth. I also have a lot of music books in PDF format.
<looks down>
Hi, I'm Tenzin and I have a book problem.
Tenzin_la is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library size