Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
H2O2 Edition 2 Release Date? (Australia)

Hi, Has anyone seen an updated Australian release date for the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2? Originally they just said "July", but I haven't been able to find anything more specific. Thanks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I haven't seen anything, I don't even remember seeing the July date.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo
I’m also awaiting availability. July is halfway gone already...
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The release date is August 10th :/
Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, late July. Very, very late July.
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But before Mother's Day, so there's that.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
July 41st to be exact
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
July 41st to be exact
I don't remember that in the "30 days has..." poem.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

JB HiFi are now listing the Aura H2O Edition 2 on their website: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-...ration/469614/.

They show them as in stock, and at a lot more shops than the Aura ONE. The one I was in briefly* this morning still had the original on display.

* In this case, "briefly" is defined as the amount of time it takes to buy a Kobo Aura ONE.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Enjoy

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 AM   #11
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Picked up mine from JB HiFi just over a week ago when I was in Sydney (nobody sells Kobo stuff where I live). I would have happily bought it online but I wanted to be able to easily return it if it was flaky.

I must say, JB really aren't trying to sell the things. The display models were tucked away out of site. They consisted of a broken Aura One, an Aura Edition 2 stuck on the registration screen and a working first generation H2O with a price tag/information sheet that said it was an Edition 2 . This was in the Pitt St store in the CBD.

Anyway, they had the new H2O in stock, I bought one, and I'm happy with it. I'm coming from a Kindle 3 (Keyboard) so I guess I'm easy to please . Actually I was quite happy with the Kindle, I just wanted a reader with a light for night reading.

The larger screen and font options on the H2O have spoilt me now and I could never go back. It took me a while to figure out the Calibre dance (all my books are sideloaded) to get the page layout just right but it looks good now.

No real-world battery numbers yet, but extrapolating from what I've seen I think I'll get at least two weeks. That's similar to my six-year-old Kindle, so good enough for me.

I even like the touch screen, which I expected to be annoying after using real page turn buttons for so long .

The only things I think the Kindle did better are:
- In-book search. It's very slow on the Kobo. It seems to be scanning the text each time rather than using an index.
- Dictionaries. The dictionary is just another book on the Kindle, so while you're viewing a definition it's easy to highlight a word within the definition and get a definition for that word. There is no limit to the rabbit hole .

I guess these may have changed on modern Kindles anyway.

H2O mk2 gets a from me.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Picked up mine from JB HiFi just over a week ago when I was in Sydney (nobody sells Kobo stuff where I live). I would have happily bought it online but I wanted to be able to easily return it if it was flaky.

I must say, JB really aren't trying to sell the things. The display models were tucked away out of site. They consisted of a broken Aura One, an Aura Edition 2 stuck on the registration screen and a working first generation H2O with a price tag/information sheet that said it was an Edition 2 . This was in the Pitt St store in the CBD.
The JB HiFi tend to be a bit of a mixture with their displays. The one near where I work, had a good display of the three current ereaders the last time I was in (and walked out with an Aura ONE). The one near home, had just the original Aura H2O on display when I was there on the weekend. That's a change from last year when they had none on display. They did have a rack with the boxes and covers, but that has mainly been taken over by Kindles. Happily, they don't have a Kindle on display.
Quote:
Anyway, they had the new H2O in stock, I bought one, and I'm happy with it. I'm coming from a Kindle 3 (Keyboard) so I guess I'm easy to please . Actually I was quite happy with the Kindle, I just wanted a reader with a light for night reading.

The larger screen and font options on the H2O have spoilt me now and I could never go back. It took me a while to figure out the Calibre dance (all my books are sideloaded) to get the page layout just right but it looks good now.

No real-world battery numbers yet, but extrapolating from what I've seen I think I'll get at least two weeks. That's similar to my six-year-old Kindle, so good enough for me.

I even like the touch screen, which I expected to be annoying after using real page turn buttons for so long .

The only things I think the Kindle did better are:
- In-book search. It's very slow on the Kobo. It seems to be scanning the text each time rather than using an index.
No, Kobo's don't index the book contents, so it is scanning the text for each search.
Quote:
- Dictionaries. The dictionary is just another book on the Kindle, so while you're viewing a definition it's easy to highlight a word within the definition and get a definition for that word. There is no limit to the rabbit hole .
You can do a lookup of the words on the popup. This opens the search dialog in dictionary mode on that word. After that, you can't select the word but can type in any word in the search field.
Quote:

I guess these may have changed on modern Kindles anyway.

H2O mk2 gets a from me.
Good that you like it.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 AM   #13
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can do a lookup of the words on the popup. This opens the search dialog in dictionary mode on that word. After that, you can't select the word but can type in any word in the search field.
I did notice that, but as you said it only goes one level deep before you have to start typing search terms in. Not a big deal in practice, I just liked the way the Kindle did it. (Sometimes I would surf the dictionary from word to word. I know, I'm a nerd.)