Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
Audible content varies between accounts?

Hi audiobook fans,

I recently tried to purchase the Whispersync discounted audiobook paired to a Kindle book (The Child Thief by Dan Smith), but although I own the Kindle book, the special price is not appearing on the Audible page for the book. The Audible edition itself doesn't even appear on Amazon, so I haven't been able to buy it through from the Amazon site. When I click on the "buy the Kindle edition first" on the Audible page, it takes me to an Amazon webpage that says the book is not available to purchase. Three different Audible CSR have sent me the same instructions on how to complete the purchase, but they all seem to think I am missing a step. I have bought many discounted WfV pairs so I have no problems with the process when it works as it should.

Out of frustration, I decided to log onto my husband's Amazon account to buy the Kindle book and then see if the special WfV price would appear on his Audible account. To my surprise, the Audible edition of "The Child Thief" by Dan Smith does not even appear on the Audible website when I search using his account. It appears when I search the Audible site without being signed in - just not when I am signed into his account.

At this point I don't even care if I get the book (I have many books on my TBR list already). It does make me wonder why the book doesn't appear on my husband's Audible account, and whether also happens on my account (some books not showing up, that are available for purchase on other accounts). Has anyone encountered this type of situation on Audible?

best regards
Laura F.
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I punched up the ebook ($12.99) and get the Whispersync box ($2.99). Clicking on the add narration link, I get the audiobook page to finish the transaction.

Looking on Audible's website, the audiobook shows that it's WfV-ready; but doesn't list a price since I don't own the ebook.

Do these links work for you and what do you see?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
Thank you, tubemonkey, I think I see why I am not "seeing" the Audible book on Amazon. The first link that you posted brings me to the book's Amazon webpage and says "This title is not currently available for purchase" on the right side of the screen. The second page brings me to the Audible edition page (which doesn't show up in my own Amazon searches) and says "Sorry, this title is not available in your region". The Audible page brings up the same webpage that I get when I search the book on Audible, and I could apparently purchase the book for the full price of $24.95. I am curious whether it would let me complete the purchase, but I'm not going to try and then go through the hassle of returning it.

I am in Canada. My Kindle account is set for shopping from Amazon.com, which is an option for Canadians, but it looks like Amazon/Audible doesn't have the rights to sell this audiobook to Canadian customers. I am used to this situation from shopping on other audiobook websites, but I hadn't encountered it from Audible so far.

Interestingly, I changed my husband's Amazon account settings to shop on Amazon.com, and now when I am on the Audible website, the book still doesn't show up when I use their search window, but if I paste the link above into the browser search menu, the audiobook page shows up with a statement that "We're sorry. Due to publishing restrictions we are not authorized to sell this item in the country in which you live". We both have the same addresses on our Amazon and Audible credit card accounts. I am not sure why the discrepancy between his account and mine.

Last edited by Laurablue; 10-05-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: left out an important word
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've seen this on Audible before, and it is controlled by whether your Audible (and Amazon) accounts have the country field set to Canada or US, and whether they agree. So, for example, my old Audible account is NOT linked to any Amazon account and has a country listed as "Canada". But my newer Audible account is a US account, and linked to my US Amazon account, with a US credit card and US shipping address. I see different books available on the two accounts. (Sometimes this is a good thing, giving me access to books in Canada that I can't get from the US account, other times it's just annoying. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote