Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Books by Swedish authors

Since there seems to be at least a few Swedish members here on MR, and a lot more MR users reading Swedish authors (Millennium trilogy), I thought it would be nice to start up a thread where we can tip each other on Swedish authors/titles.

The book doesn't need to be translated to English but if you know it is please specify the title, so others can benefit.

I'll start of with Jan Guillou where my favourite books are:

Arn trilogy:
* Vägen till Jerusalem, The Road to Jerusalem
* Tempelriddaren, The Templar Knight
* Riket vid vägens slut, ?

* Arvet efter Arn (fristående fortsättning), ?

Stieg Larsson, Millennium trilogy:
* Män som hatar kvinnor, The girl with the dragon tattoo
* Flickan som lekte med elden, The girl who played with fire
* Luftslottet som sprängdes, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest

Recently read:
* Rymmaren by Bodström Thomas (Not one of my favourites but not bad)
* Edward Finnigans upprättelse by Roslund Hellström

Swedish classics:
Doktor Glas, (Eng: Doctor Glas) by Hjalmar Söderberg
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Yes, I've also read and enjoyed Jan Guillou and Stieg Larsson.

But I have to admit to almost exclusively reading in english. Especially when it comes to e-books.

I found a site with free ebooks in swedish: http://www.las-en-bok.com/

Only pdfs...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps anyone with children in here. It's worth mentioning Astrid Lindgren one of our most renowned children's author with books like:
Ronja Rövardotter, Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
Pippi Långstrump, The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
Bröderna Lejonhjärta, The Brothers Lionheart
Old 07-20-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
thinkpad
David

At the moment I'm reading two Swedish books:
Jan Guillou: Ordets makt och vanmakt - mitt skrivande liv
David Larsson: Jag är Wanted

Neither of them is as far as I know available in English.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
Cattis
Cattis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am new to this forum and I am looking for Swedish books (in Swedish) for Kindle. Or for the nook. Nor just any books. I want to get current, popular books.
Here is a list of the top 10 Swedish paperbacks.

I know I can get the paperbacks online... but where can I get the ebook/kindle version? I live in the U.S.

Top 10 Swedish Paperbacks (February 2011)
1. Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann (av Jonas Jonasson)
2. Vyssan lull (av Carin Gerhardsen)
3. Igelkottens elegans (av Muriel Burbery)
4. I grunden utan skuld (av Viveca Sten)
5. Pepparkakshuset (av Carin Gerhardsen)
6. Mamma, pappa, barn (av Carin Gerhardsen)
7. Pansarhjärta (av Jo Nesbø)
8. Utrensning (av Sofi Oksanen)
9. Lyckan, kärleken & meningen med livet (av Elizabeth Gilbert)
10. Förbjuden frukt (av Sarah Addison Allen)

If you know where I can get this for Kindle (or Nook) please post it here.
Thank you!!!
Cattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
thinkpad
David

Try this site:
http://www.adlibris.com/se/content.a...=1&e-mode=true

You can also find them at the library, but that would require a relative or friend in Sweden who can provide you with a library card number.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Cattis, I can let you borrow "Hundraåringen" on my library card in a few days! Send me a pm with your e-mail and we can sort that out! (28 day-loan)

(Hundraåringen was, by the way, the first e-book I read on my Sony PRS-600, back in November. Great read!)

Edit:
Looking at the list I could probably let you use my card for Viveca Sten as well. Jo Nesbö is available at the e-library, but I absolutely HATED Headhunter, so I'm not sure I want to use my card to borrow Pansarhjärta!

Adlibris, Bokus, Bokia, they all sell eBooks, but very expensive!

Last edited by Asawi; 03-07-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Other than the Stieg Larsson titles I have read "Låt den rätte komma in" (Let the Right One In) by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It was quite an entertaining book though I have to say this is one of the rare occurrences where I thought the film adaptation was actually better.

Last edited by seagull; 03-07-2011 at 06:27 AM.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Other than the Stieg Larsson titles I have read "Låt den rätte komma in" (Let the Right One In) by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It was quite an entertaining book though I have to say this is one of the rare occurrences where I thought the film adaptation was actually better.
The Swedish film or the American film? I've only seen the Swedish film but I thought it was great.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
The Swedish film or the American film? I've only seen the Swedish film but I thought it was great.
The Swedish film. The American film was good but inferior to the Swedish film in every way.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up Wallander..........

Can't believe Henning Mankel not mentioned yet.

In UK we had a TV series based on the marvellous Wallander detective novels, which our family thought was pretty good, with Kenneth Brannagh - but then we got the original Swedish series, and have had 3 series so far, with subtitles, and they are BRILLIANT, miles better. Much truer to the books than the Brannagh one- the star actor, as happens sometimes, seemed more central than the story, somehow.
Anyway, that led to me reading the books, and they are even better - terrific writing, and I found them genuinely unputdownable.
They aren't "quick" reads, rather..... totally absorbing, I suppose.

I presume they are in ebook here, and they must be in Sweden.
(I had the real books before my PRS650 Christmas present arrived !)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I'm such a Wallander tragic that I loved them both but I see what you mean. I couldn't work out why they made the British series so soon, but a friend told me it's because lots of people won't watch subtitled film. Go figure.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Asa Larsson with her Rebecka Martinsson series, taking place in northern Sweden.
Johan Theorin with his Gerlof Davidsson series
Ake Edwardson
Selma Lagerlöf (The Story of Gösta Berling can be found here on MR)
Sjöwall, Maj + Wahlöö, Per
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I presume they are in ebook here, and they must be in Sweden.
This is what's available from eLib by Mankell:
http://www.elib.se/search.asp?sok=he...&secondrun=YES

And this is the Mankell books that are available from the Swedish libraries as e-books:
http://www.elib.se/search.asp?title=...&secondrun=YES
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Can't believe Henning Mankel not mentioned yet.

In UK we had a TV series based on the marvellous Wallander detective novels, which our family thought was pretty good, with Kenneth Brannagh - but then we got the original Swedish series, and have had 3 series so far, with subtitles, and they are BRILLIANT, miles better.
If you liked the Wallander series you might want to have a look at the Varg Veum series. It's in the same genre as Wallander but about a Norwegian private detective. The films have gotten immensely popular here in Norway:
http://www.imdb.com/list/IdBH9Zc_LWI/

The films are based on books from a Norwegian crime author named Gunnar Staalesen. Here's an interview with him from The Scotsman:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/inte...hor.6649595.jp

Tags
swedish authors