Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter

Device: Boox N96
Wireless Monitor Option

Hello Everyone,

I no longer have an ONYX, but I now have a hacked DPT-RP1 so I was forced to find an alternative to the HDMI monitor input. I had previously used VNCViewer but the delay was too severe. Then I discovered 'Spacedesk'

Spacedesk essentially turns any android tablet into a wireless monitor WITH touch. (similar to iDisplay and Splashtop I believe) Mirror or extended desktop are both options. MUCH faster than the VNC method, and possibly as fast, if not faster, than the HDMI input on the Boox Max 2.

Spacedesk is also free and runs flawlessly on my Dpt-RP1, I'm sure it would also run smoothly on most Boox models. Enjoy!

Last edited by jra166; 01-04-2019 at 01:04 PM.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
thanks for the tip, i will try it on mine.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
jra166
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
thanks for the tip, i will try it on mine.
Let us know how it works and compares to the HDMI input.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
I spent more than 2 hours trying to get it up and running and I gave up. Not a problem with the app itself but with the networking. I don't have WiFi router. The drivers install fine.

When downloading the apk I spot an app called XDisplay from Splashtop. Connection via usb was like a charm. Touch was working fine. The image quality was okeyish but I wouldn't recommend it. When using it as a primary sole touch display I discovered bugs with the screen "recording" on the system side where something was displayed on a normal display but was not streamed to the app.

EDIT:
I should rather say that I don't have WLAN ;-) I cannot administer the WiFi router installed by my network operator. Unfortunately it gives me isolated WiFi access, that is, no LAN between home devices.

Last edited by plusz; 01-12-2019 at 07:08 AM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
I am going to try it! I really need a faster option than VNC with my Onyx N96ML. Oh... wait a minute... Spacedesk says it need at least android 4.1, and my device has the sh***y 4.0.x... so f**k off! I will wait another amount of months for the android 4.4 update Onyx promised to us. It has to arrive, for sure.... I am going to wait sitting in a confortably sofa

Thanks Onyx
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I've finally been testing those apps and they work better than hdmi, the text is clearer and even if there is a bit more of delay, it's worth it over the onyx implementation, the quality is much much better, it's native resolution and the text is crisp and clear. Onyx should do something about it, it is not acceptable what they offer over an hdmi cable.

As for the apps, Spacedesk is the best as offers native resolution, (xdisplay offers me a max of 1600x1200 and only using cable) and have touch screen mouse. It have some small annoying glitches on non mobile icons like taskbar while refreshing, but it's ok.

The only thing I miss, is a way to send a refresh command from the computer to the max 2 to clear the grey background after a while. It can be done pressing menu for 3 seconds, but it's a chore.

Other small problem I have with them, is the contrast to read text, you need to adjust the app to higher contrast +50/75 or the text will be very light. Onyx still needs to implement a global contrast setting that can be changed live on any app using the notification bar

I still need to test this week twomon usb monitor and Idisplay, but I doubt they can top spacedesk, and for the moment, it's free

thanks a lot jra166.

Last edited by whopper; 02-19-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Thank you whopper for the update. Did you managed to connect it through usb networking maybe? I'm going to look into that once I have a free evening. I have to go this way because I can't use WiFi but anyway connecting via usb will keep the battery charged which is a good thing
Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
whopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Thank you whopper for the update. Did you managed to connect it through usb networking maybe? I'm going to look into that once I have a free evening. I have to go this way because I can't use WiFi but anyway connecting via usb will keep the battery charged which is a good thing
it seems that it only works through wifi, with a normal usb cable don't work is wifi is off and i didn't have a usb networking cable or tried it emulating a connection but I think I will try to see if I can manage to do it later this weekend

Last edited by whopper; 02-21-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
plusz
Addict

Quote:
it seems that it only works through wifi, with a normal usb cable don't work is wifi is off and i didn't have a usb networking cable or tried it emulating a connection but I think I will try to see if I can manage to do it later this weekend
usb networking is not available by default. Right now I'm not sure if it's possible to enable/add it without rooting, but I may even root my device if it's worth the trouble.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Spacedesk says it need at least android 4.1
Onyx Max 1 Android 4.4.4 (beta).
Spacedesk and Twomon don't work.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
whopper
Addict

Quote:
usb networking is not available by default. Right now I'm not sure if it's possible to enable/add it without rooting, but I may even root my device if it's worth the trouble.
my device is rooted, if you have any guide, I can try it.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
@jra188 Thanks for suggesting spacedesk I tried it with my Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro an hour ago. It works really well with my old Windows 7 laptop (only has a VGA adaptor/ Elitebook 2670p). Both the capacative and wacom input work. Now I feel less cluttered with cables. The image quality is better than the HDMI input with my Dell laptop. Less grainy and no mouse trailing. I am really happy with it.
Next I am going to see if its possible to use this with my macbook pro (late 2013 model).
Thanks once again for sharing this useful tip!!

Last edited by Faeryink; 02-22-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
plusz
Addict

Quote:
my device is rooted, if you have any guide, I can try it.
good to know

Unfortunately I don't have the guide at hand. I did it once with Kindle. We need a compatible kernel module to expose RNDIS protocol on the usb port. If I am correct, someone on this forum already did that with Max. I'll search for it later.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
jra166
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have been able to successfully use USB networking on my hacked DPT-RP1. You must first enable USB Tethering, and then the Spacedesk software will do the rest.

Not only is it more reliable than the wi-fi connection, it appears to be faster.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #15
dkccerbero
Connoisseur
dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.dkccerbero is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Note2
Hi! Interesting tread!
I have an Onyx Boox N96ml carta+ and I work a lot with the cellphone. Some advice to send the cellphone screen to the Onyx? (Android 4 in the onyx)
Am I dreaming?

I've already tried the vnc and doesn't seem to be able to connect. I think that the signal isn't strong enough... Take the cell and the onyx next to the router. The vnc didn't work (am I doing something wrong?) Tried entering by the browser and seems to be too old to be able to reproduce the video of the screen)

Last edited by dkccerbero; 06-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
dkccerbero is offline   Reply With Quote