Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Please confirm “CIGALA” translation/definition

I am compiling a book of Victorian ghost stories (yes, another one), and hit what I think is a typesetter's error. Here is quote of the paragraph (direct from the pdf of original magazine publication):

The sun beat fiercely on the Tuscan landscape; […] Dust, drought, and sultry silence, broken only by the cigala’s tiny chirp, prevailed over all the landscape.

Online translator Reverso gives me Norway lobster, crayfish, prawn, and langoustine. Definitely watery, not dusty droughty hillsides...

My personal feeling is that the word should be cicada.

Can anyone give me some feedback?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Maybe the original manuscript contained cicala, which is the Italian word for a cicada.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha! my instinct was right.
I am going to use cicada.

Thank you, Doitsu.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:47 AM   #4
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I am compiling a book of Victorian ghost stories (yes, another one), and hit what I think is a typesetter's error. Here is quote of the paragraph (direct from the pdf of original magazine publication):

The sun beat fiercely on the Tuscan landscape; […] Dust, drought, and sultry silence, broken only by the cigala’s tiny chirp, prevailed over all the landscape.

Online translator Reverso gives me Norway lobster, crayfish, prawn, and langoustine. Definitely watery, not dusty droughty hillsides...

Can anyone give me some feedback?
French has cigale, which can be both a lobster, some sort of anchor and a a couple of species of cicada. So cicada is probably close enough.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Cool. its always nice to have a consensus
Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
"Cigala", in Spanish, is only a kind of lobster (not lobster, that would be "langosta" or "bogavante"), but I don't think they chirp in the Tuscany. I would go with "cicala", the same than "cigarra" in Spanish or "cicada" in English.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well cicadas may chirp tinily in Tuscany, but the ones that hatch at the end of my street sound more like a swarm of buzz-saws at about 120db EACH! Folks hurry by with their hands over their ears. Thankfully they only hatch, en-masse, every few years

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thankfully, we only have small quantities of cicadas (or even crickets), not "en-masse".
Old 10-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

I must comment that the first page of google hits all insisted the word was Spanish, and majority of translations favored Crayfish/Crawfish, and Norway Lobster. Then came lots of suggestions that it was a proper name.

Us language-challenged folks have a rough row to hoe.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 10-12-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I can sure you that Cigala is a Spanish word, but not very probably to find in Tuscany it of a restaurant.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

Us language-challenged folks have a rough row to hoe.
Or Roe to Ho.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote