Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-24-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How do I download a Nook book?

It's been a while since I bought an ebook from Barnes & Nobel. I used to have a Nook reader on my Mac, but I don't see it now (Maybe it couldn't run on my Ventura M1 iMac).

I just bought one and don't see any way to download it. I have ebook readers on my Mac if I could download it to Calibre.

Is there a way to download it, or should I give up on Barnes and Nobel?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:02 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I use Windows, not Mac. At least on Windows it works.

In Windows you install the Nook app from the Microsoft store and sign in, then the deDRM plug-in can get the key.

Once it is set up, in the Nook app, you right click to download the book and just drag and drop the book into Calibre.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:04 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
Is there a way to download it, or should I give up on Barnes and Nobel?
I think the only way you can download a B&N eBook on the Mac now is to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine and install the Nook App from the Windows store. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you have an Android phone (which I'm guessing you don't) it supposedly can also be used to download a Nook book. I have no idea why B&N no longer has a Mac app.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:05 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the only way you can download a B&N eBook on the Mac now is to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine and install the Nook App from the Windows store. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you have an Android phone (which I'm guessing you don't) it supposedly can also be used to download a Nook book. I have no idea why B&N no longer has a Mac app.
Because Apple decided everything has to be 64-bit and B&N didn't make a 64-bit app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I also can't download the iPad app on my M1 iMac (I can download some iPad apps and run them, but not that one). And I can't have a version of MacOS that runs 32 bit apps on an M1 Mac.

So, that's why I stopped buying from B&N. Dumb of me to forget.
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #6
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I use Windows, not Mac. At least on Windows it works.

In Windows you install the Nook app from the Microsoft store and sign in, then the deDRM plug-in can get the key.

Once it is set up, in the Nook app, you right click to download the book and just drag and drop the book into Calibre.

Wait, DeDRM now works on nook books???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:00 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Wait, DeDRM now works on nook books???
Yes it does.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:00 AM   #8
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes it does.

This is great news! I hate drm and one of the big reasons I don’t buy books from BN was because it’s too difficult to liberate those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mac, nook